Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This should be a short one... []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MT is definitely going uphill.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's always one killjoy ain't there? []
[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well you know how it is.. uphill... like hiking.. carrying a pack... hard work and good exercise.

Downhill you can get so out of control really fast.

But I am going to do my part on getting Minas Tirth up the hill ....

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heave ho, up we go! []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Lit Threads, while the activity has subsided (post-movie ennui, perhaps?) the atmosphere is less contentious. I'm seeing more open discussion instead of insufferable ego.

No, dogmatism isn't the right word. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the rudeness and intolerance has definitely subsided.
For example... []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Silm, I owe you an apology. I read your reply and immediately thought you were being cynical and sarcastic. Then, having leapt to a conclusion in a single bound, I checked the link you provided.

[]

You have restored my faith in the ability of Minas Tirith denizens to have an interesting discussion and debate that does not degenerate into an out and out ego brawl.

Which is not to say that I am not partial to the occasional ego brawl. They can be most diverting and entertaining (rather like I imagine Roman citizens may have looked upon gladatorial entertaiment in ye olde merry times of the Roman Empire - messy, nasty, bloody and painful but fun every now and again).

But there is more than one way to have fun, as the example you provided Silm ably demonstrates. Clean, polite, well informed and rational fun.... positively hygenic! []

So my apologies and my thanks! []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Uphill in Minas Tirith is good though, right? 'Cuz if we're going uphill, it means we're going deeper into the city. Closer and closer to the Citadel... That's where I want to be in MT anyway. The closer to the king, the better.
From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Silm, I owe you an apology. I read your reply and immediately thought you were being cynical and sarcastic. Then, having leapt to a conclusion in a single bound, I checked the link you provided.
No apology necessary, M'Lady -- one's thoughts do not offend me, be they intentional or no... []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

Aw, such a gentleman! MT really is getting better and better! []

*curtsies and lifts her tankard of ale in salute*

Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sil you old smoothie!

[] []

From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, uphill always hurts my legs more than downhill, but I prefer it because it makes me stronger... though, I must say I prefer to sit down at the computer and wander the streets of MT instead of really walking or hiking...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3861
posted      Profile for Phoenix   Email Phoenix   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Empires rise and fall, not even the stars last forever. Minas Tirith will have its hills and valleys, just like any other social order. It truly isn't about Minas Tirith the website, but Minas Tirith the community of posters. It's the people that make this place great.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...the great fiery bird fell from the sky. It crashed into the ground, and turned to ashes. From the ashes, a fierce cry was heard, and the phoenix rose up again in an inferno of wrath and fury.

From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
Yo, Phoenix, I am the Official "One-Line Wisdom Harlot" here.

Go find your own damn street corner to work. []

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3861
posted      Profile for Phoenix   Email Phoenix   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I'll head up north maybe... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...the great fiery bird fell from the sky. It crashed into the ground, and turned to ashes. From the ashes, a fierce cry was heard, and the phoenix rose up again in an inferno of wrath and fury.

From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*looks uphill* []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, MT is not going uphill, because it peaked on November 24, 2002. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, everything went wrong on that day. []
From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You really should think about these things before you type them, Éomer. It most certainly implies that you were the downfall of it all. []
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, I get all the credit, and isn't that what really matters? []

[ 07-13-2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3861
Getting the credit means getting the blame.

I'd say this website peaked just before Lord of the Rings became a popular movie thing (I've been reading stuff here since the citizen numbers were below 200). With the advent of the films, you see a general increase in the number of orcs, Pony posters (not that there is anything wrong with that), and just posters in general. The population exploded. With so many personalities and egos, conflicts and problems were bound to occur.

I think Minas Tirith is going through a bit of decline to lose some unnecessary weight 'round the middle [] . It can become similar to what it used to be like with the move influence wearing off, or this place could die with the movie hype (though I hope dearly that that does not come to pass). []

The gates of Minas Tirith in the books were blasted apart by Grond and the Witch King, but they can rebuilt even better than before with the help of others, right? Now, where can we find some dwarves...

[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Hidalgo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1083
posted      Profile for Hidalgo   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd say this website peaked just before Lord of the Rings became a popular movie thing
Yes, all those noobs that came after 18th Dec 2001 should bear all the blame! []
From: Madrid - Spain | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can't hate on all of us... I watched the board, before I even knew the movies were in production. I just didn't join till later... []
From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, all those noobs that came after 18th Dec 2001 should bear all the blame!
Your sister's going to kill you for that []
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Phoenix wrote:
quote:
I think Minas Tirith is going through a bit of decline to lose some unnecessary weight 'round the middle...
You see that as a "decline"? [] []

Look at it this way -- love the films or not, and the hype they cultivated, they did a great service to Tolkiendom by encouraging a whole new legion of Tolkien admirers. That it also encouraged many to come to sites like this is not a bad thing either. One leg supports the other, so to speak.

You said it yourself, sites like this go through hills and valleys. I'm just glad it's here -- what a wonderful opportunity to share common interest(s) with people around the world, whether it's wonderful inanity of the Pony or deeper delvings into the Professor's legendarium.

From this fairly new perspective, I don't see MT going downhill or uphill -- it's pretty damn good where it's at. And if it wasn't, it's up to me to make a difference.

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going uphill" Thread (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help