Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Nominate a Thread for Derision (Page 2)
Author Topic: Nominate a Thread for Derision
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search for "STFU" and recieved 80 hits, but none of the ones I checked actually used "STFU".

Coincidence? I think not...

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, it doesn't work very well...
From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lord Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you guys know how that search function works, the first hit on search for "STFU" in the Pony (I figured that would be the most likely place for people to say such at thing):
quote:
Welp, we won. But you guys played well. Although I continue to resent your linebackers' boastful threats to take Vince out of the Heisman running.

[ 09-22-2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Lord Mithrandir ]

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the second hit:
quote:
quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------
I was born in January, and am Capricorn.

I prefer the cold, and my mood improves with the onset of Winter.

Tell that to the Australians.

Or the New Zealanders, Chileans, Argentineans, (most of the) Brazilians, etc.

I guess it finds all the posts that have an S, a T, an F and a U somewhere in them.

So , like Gna said . . .

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You got the wrong post, actually. Check the number in the URL and you'll notice that the next post is in fact where it came up:
quote:
But Freya, Astrology has no logic, and that's why it's fun. Ooooh, and I just love the way you said "ad hominem attacks". So sexy.

But I agree with Hidalgo, it's just fun and something to do in this mundane world of ours.

I'm a Virgo by the way. Virgin and proud of it.

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK then show me the consecutive stfu in the third hit! []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

Well, that's a tricky one, see, because he edited the post. Probably to add in that 'a'.
quote:
For crying out loud, Hidalgo, it's just a fun little internet poll. Do you have to always be so noble about everything? Come on man, who cares if that old fart stick in the mud anal retentive Stinky Peat complains. He always complains. That's what old people do; they complain and they wait for the mailman because that's what gives them their thrills.

Come on Hida, let's have a run-off and really make this election definitive! []

[ 08-05-2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

In any case,
quote:
I guess it finds all the posts that have an S, a T, an F and a U somewhere in them.
Then you explain to me why a search for "s t f u" (without quotes, mind you) returns more than a search for "stfu" (again, without quotes).

Oh, and to stay on topic, I nominate this thread.

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

quote:
Just so you guys know how that search function works
I know how the search function works, and I wasn't referring to it in my post.

Though as search functions go, it doesn't work very well.

Nominate an algorithm for derision...

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Ok you convinced me.

What an excellent search function! []

E: and I also nominate this thread.

[ 09-22-2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Circle is now complete.

Hakuna Matada.

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GNA said: "Though as search functions go, it doesn't work very well."
Um... obviously you haven't tried to search for anything on TORC... (The One Ring.com that is) their search fuction is indeed fuct.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

Sno-UmlautDog wrote:

quote:
Um... obviously you haven't tried to search for anything on TORC...
True. I don't frequent TORC. I don't even infrequent TORC.

I was comparing the search function at MT to search functions in general, not specifically to those on Tolkien message boards.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame you for that. []

At least the search function here finds things that you search for! []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate this gem of a thread for derision...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I second Thingol's nomination...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate MANDOS for immediate psychological study. I claim him.

He's MY research subject.... and if the World Health Organisation happens to knock on my research lab bunker door with questions relating to ethics in human experimentation, I will know where the informant came from! [] []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That is hands down the most ridiculous one around. Not to mention just about every other thread started by that individual. If you can even understand what he's trying to say half the time.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The itches of wargs

This might even beat Perennial Citizen of the Year™ urks-gogoses's submission.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't know Thorin... I think this glorious thread matches or even surpasses your submission in derision-worthiness.
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I stand corrected.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You think you guys have problems [] I have to try and figure out where to put these threads in the Indexes (Indices for the anally retentive [] )! []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
That's why God invented "Miscellaneous."
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
posted      Profile for Alcuin   Author's Homepage   Email Alcuin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These threads are classics! They must be retained for posterity.
From: New England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I have to try and figure out where to put these threads in the Indexes (Indices for the anally retentive [] )!
[] []
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been around for a long time and in the past week or so have been browsing a fair bit through MT. Consequently I have heard (And seen) a lot of this MANDOS character. I must admit he does seem provide a lot of amusing rants but it must get tiring for those of you who are here on a more consistent basis.

Especially when he spews out random stuff like this. []

I suppose it takes all sorts to make the world go 'round. []

Adanedhel

[ 08-01-2006, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Nominate a Thread for Derision (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help