Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - The Next Generation (Page 2)
Author Topic: Avatars - The Next Generation
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Look again.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarien of Gilderon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4540
posted      Profile for Sarien of Gilderon   Author's Homepage   Email Sarien of Gilderon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My request, O Noble One...

-

Much thanks!

From: peering into your window | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
may i please request this to be my avatar.
its a bit big but is someone could do me the pleasure of fixing that i would be greatful

The Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

-

From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
White Gold Wielder, I would love this avatar:

-

Thank you!

From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyra Telpëlamba
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4402
posted      Profile for Lyra Telpëlamba   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Re-posting my avatar request as desired...

-

Thank you again WGW. Maybe I'll post more to actually deserve it.

E: ...and perhaps not worthless posts.

[ 06-23-2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Lyra Telpëlamba ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
So, wondering whether any other lovers before them had made this startling discovery, they lay together as the earth turned slowly and the moon and stars blazed above them~*~The Amber Spyglass

From: cent neuf | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ingaran Nolofinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4240
posted      Profile for Ingaran Nolofinwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ingaran Nolofinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sarien, what is that in your avatar?!
From: Washington State University | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Barrow-wight.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Helping out a few citizens (WGW, too)... []

The people and their requests. []

Andreth (Citizen #1613)
 -

Miranthridel Bloom (Citizen #3050)
 -

Sherl (Citizen #3828)
 -

Varnafindë aka Barufiniel (Citizen # 4097)
 -

Black Dragon (Citizen #4422)
 -

[ 06-23-2004, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know I just had Fingolfin make some other examples of my current avatar. But while browsing through some images I found this picture of Luthien and I was wondering if this avatar would be alright:

-

It's 100x60 and it is a .gif but I'm not sure about the size and I know WGW messes with them anyway.

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4497

posted      Profile for Hoom   Email Hoom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is mine:

-

Thanks WGW!

From: Sydney | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherl
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3828

posted      Profile for Sherl   Email Sherl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for WGW! [] Thanks for putting all this effort into the city.

And thank you for posting my request, Brae! []

From: 221b Baker Street | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Vinya lanya. Velice. []

WGW, I'd like to repost my avatar request.

...yes, I know how to post an image. But Geocities won't let me, because it's just irritating like that. And I've attempted uploading it elsewhere, but my computer just sems to dislike .gif files, and it's not working. I tried. []

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Aikanáro (Citizen #3121)
 -

fran
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 959

posted      Profile for fran   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Ranger - someone already has a very similar avatar to that:

-

So I could make it just the shoulder -> head part then maybe it would be allowed. But I think getting the whole of them in might count as being too similar.

WGW - I like your new numbering system it's nice and comprehensive. I'll be able to work out a numbering system for myself with that and rename all my avatars. also means I have the chance to resort them all.

What will happen about my website with this? will it become redundant? Will I still upload new avatar images to my server, or will that be different now?

Thanks for all the hard work, seems the system will be good.

From: the dreaming | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celoriand Elwëdhrim
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4563
posted      Profile for Celoriand Elwëdhrim   Author's Homepage   Email Celoriand Elwëdhrim   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my official avatar request reposted, as decreed by WGW:

-

Thanks! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Son of Olwë & Prince of Alqualondë

From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't reply earlier I was in NY city yesterday for virtually the entire day so didn't really have internet access.

Sounds good WGW, [] unfortunately I got too much going on today to really start renaming and stuff immediately but I should be able to get started by tomorrow morning. [] Also I'd like to echo fran's question (and my previous question [] ): What is to become of our individual avatar-sites? Maintaining them kinda does seem rather redundant and perhaps a bit superfluous.

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Celoriand Elwëdhrim, is a draft of the heraldic device for Idril Celebrindal really approriate for the son of Olwë Ciriáran? []
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluebell Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4355
posted      Profile for Bluebell Took   Email Bluebell Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is it okay if I can please have this avatar:

-

[ 07-09-2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Itaril ]

From: Candy Land with millions of dogs all called Huan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must have missed fran's question. []

I suppose it's up to you. You can continue to create and organize on your own site as you see fit.

You can either keep your original filenames and let me do the renaming once they are submitted to be added here or you can convert your entire operation to this new filename scheme.

I know you have found it useful to have your site available as a portfolio of sorts. It's entirely up to you if you want to keep yours going. I already host your site, so I don't mind keeping it around for as long as you want.

Fran never responded to my hosting offer, but I imagine she might be relieved if she didn't have to bother with it anymore. She could just send me batches of images to be added with filenames organized as she saw fit. The only functionality that would be missing would be her search function she currently has. It doesn't work perfectly, but it works pretty well. With the filenaming scheme, she could group avatars by subject, but some of the nuance of her search function would be missing.

I have been very appreciative of both your efforts up to this point and I'm not going to start ordering you around now. I would be happy whatever either of you decide.

---

On a side note, should we do anything about *NEW* avatars? I mean, should we think about a way to have them somehow highlighted as new for a period of time (2 weeks)? I could use the datestamp on the file to calculate whether it is new-ish or not. The downside would be an increase in the time it takes to calculate the display of each page. This might not be a big deal, but I thought I'd open up discussion on it to see if I should bother.

The reason for this, aside from the obvious user benefits, is that all new avatars will be tacked onto the end of an already long list. People scrolling through the avatars might never get as far as the new ones. Your avatars alone will take 18 pages!

I thought that another solution to this might be to number the files in a backwards fashion, starting with 01ZZZZ-A.gif for you and working backwards (01ZZZY-A.gif, 01ZZZX-A.gif...). This way, new avatars will be at the front of each person's area. It's not a perfect solution, as dividing files into groups will prevent all new files from being at the top of the list.

This whole problem might not be that big of a deal and we should probably not bother with it. I just thought that if we were going to rename all the avatars, we should look ahead and try to not ever have to rename them again.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manwë Súlimo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4429
posted      Profile for Manwë Súlimo   Email Manwë Súlimo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This would be my request:

-

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fran
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 959

I'm more than happy to follow your new numbering scheme WGW. It's efficient and it really shouldn't run out of possablities.

I'll just wget, resort and rename my current lot so you can have them ready and waiting with the new numbers. I think I will be following your suggestion of certian numbers representing specific characters etc.

Every new avatar I make I will number like so too, it'll keep me more organized I think and hopefully will be of help to you.

The A-Z letter at the end, does it matter if they are upper or lower case incidently. I usually prefer lower as a rule. Just a strange quirk of mine []

I appologize about never replying about the hosting thing. That was a wee bit rude of me. Thinking about moving everything got complicated. I probably would have had to use a new system if it'd moved. Then I was a little absent from MT for a long while anyhow, so it just got forgotten. Now it is redundant however with the new scheme.

I'll probably keep my own site then, just for my own organisation perposes I guess.

I look foward to the new system, should be intersting []

From: the dreaming | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It does make a difference as far as upper or lower-case, so we have to make a decision. I'm partial to upper-case myself, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I just hate when a lower-case l looks like a 1. Let's see what Fingolfin thinks.

Please consult me when you are getting your numbering structure organized. There are some ideas I'd like to offer, such as perhaps leaving gaps between characters' numbers for possible future expansion. For instance, if 00 was Aragorn and 01 was Arwen, where would the Aragorn & Arwen avatars go? It would depend on how your catalog breaks down, but maybe skipping 3 numbers between characters would leave more than enough gaps to cover these potential future special cases.

I might have similar ideas for Fingolfin, so before you guys rename anything, please post your charts or keys here for discussion. Not trying to get all up in your kool-aid, but I'd at least like to see your plan for organizing your files.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fran
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 959

well, I was going to make a list before I renumbered anyhow (I like making lists). So I'm sure my obsessive list making will cover all possabliltes. I'd thought about multiple characters too, or groups. like hobbits, fellowship, etc. I'll send you a copy once I've made it.

kool-aid sounds like a car coolant.

Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no!
Oh no!
Oh no!
Oh no!
Oh no!

OOOOOOH YEAAAAH!

From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Dolenbalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2019

posted      Profile for Sir Dolenbalion   Email Sir Dolenbalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
fran - did you get my message from the old avatar thread? I'm sure you did, but just making sure. It looks like you'll be a bit busy with all this new avatar stuff, so take all the time you need. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Part of the Great MT Family!
Miranda is the sun, Liv the moon, and Cate the stars. Rosie can be... the...dirt.
ROCK ON YOUR CATENESS!

From: The Great Lime Green, Bright Blue, and Purplewood of Dolebyland! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - The Next Generation (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Open Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help