Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - The Next Generation (Page 1)
Author Topic: Avatars - The Next Generation
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the First Age of Avatars is coming to an end. Much like Morgoth pissed off the Valar enough to make them start the War of Wrath, the current workload of keeping avatars updated is enough to wage my own war of wrath on the outdated way avatars are assigned! Huzzah!

OK, enough of that. [] (Please read the end of this post if you don't need the recap!)

I first began thinking seriously about this when I made this post in the old avatar thread. After some meditation on the subject, I came up with this:
quote:
OK, here's the plan for avatars. I am doing the research on this now, with one technical part in particular that I am studying.

I see a screen much like the current Avatar Gallery except with some additional features.

I'm going to add page numbers so you can easily jump to a later page of avatars. I also see a few buttons that allow you to filter it to view only available avatars, only taken avatars, or all avatars. Taken avatars would have a colored border (red?) to distinguish them.

Clicking on a taken avatar would open a new window with that person's profile. Clicking on an available avatar would could a popup to appear asking you if you are sure you want to change avatars. Once you hit 'OK', your avatar will be changed.

Restrictions would be in place so you couldn't get an avatar unless you were a Guard of the Citadel. This should prevent newbies who have no intention of staying here from wasting avatars.

As far as changing your avatar often, I don't see it as a problem. Some people already make 3-4 change requests per month. I have always tried to honor them all, so if there was no work on my part, I wouldn't mind at all.

I would only have to add any new files to the avatar directory, which is almost no work at all. If someone happened to grab your new avatar before you could, I could intervene in these rare cases.

Sound like a plan?

Some more research led to this:
quote:
OK, getting closer on the Major Avatar addition. Here’s the update:

I’ve got a good idea on how I’m going to implement the new programming, but I need to make some decisions on how I am going to organize almost 1400 avatars when the gallery can only display 42 at a time.

I’ve decided on a file naming convention that I’ll need everyone to follow if they want the avatars they create to filter properly.

A B C D E F - G.gif

A B: Avatar Author
00 = Unknown or Misc avatar creator
01 = Fingolfin’s
02 = fran’s
03 = Perhaps some future major avatar contributor

C D E F: Standard Numbering
This can be whatever the avatar creator wants to use to keep their files organized. For example, fran could use C and D to signify major movie characters (00 for Aragorn, 01 for Gandalf…) and use E and F to increment which number image we are on (0000 for the 1st Aragorn image, 0102 for the 3rd Gandalf image…). Two digits should be MORE than enough when you consider that C D E and F don’t have to be digits. Once you pass 0 - 9, you can continue with A - Z for a total of 36 choices for each. When you consider that C and D alone have a total of 1296 possible combinations, you can see that this will be more than enough to organize your avatars any way you want.

Fingolfin could keep his basic structure by allowing C to stand for his high-level organization he currently employs (0 = People, 1 = Places, 2 = Tolkien’s Art, 3 = Tolkien the man, 4 = Other). He would still have D E and F to further break down his images if he wished.

- G: Duplicate Numbering
This is how we will group avatars that are deemed too similar to allow multiple people to have them.

For example:
 - = 014848-A.gif
 - = 014848-B.gif
 - = 014848-C.gif

I feel - G should always be a letter, with -A as the default. 26 possible versions should be more than enough for any one image!
---
The initial re-naming process will be a bit of work, but after that it shouldn’t be a chore. A good renaming program can be found HERE, but there are tons of other ones out there. Pick one you feel comfortable with.

Even if we discuss this naming convention and decide to make some changes, the files are going to have to be renamed somehow before this new avatar process can begin, so Fingolfin and fran should begin to think about how they want to do this. I am available if you want me to rename the files, but your input is at least needed on the organization decisions.

Fingolfin: Don’t make any changes on your server at this time! If you are ready, rename them on your local computer and upload them into a separate holding directory.

So, what do you think?

I decided that a new thread would be best for keeping things organized (and finally closing that almost-5000-post monster thread doesn’t hurt).

Please post any questions and suggestions for the development of the new avatar process here. It might also be best if you posted your outstanding avatar request again here. So much time has passed since the last update, that some have changed their request several times. Help me start fresh and not spend time trying to figure out everyone’s last request. Once development is complete, these will be added to the avatar list and be immediately available.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hylian Hero
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4210
posted      Profile for Hylian Hero   Email Hylian Hero   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quick Question...Will the Old Avatar Thread Remain Sticky?

E-And after reading the Last Sentence my "Outstanding Avatar Request" from Far back would be this in case you update Avatars BEFORE the new age....
 -

Good work WGW....

[ 06-22-2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Hylian Hero ]

From: Windy City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It might also be best if you posted your outstanding avatar request again here.
Allow me to be the second ( [] at Hylian Hero) to post my avatar request in this new thread. Just in case it got lost or something, because the last time I requested it was several months and about 20+ pages ago:

I, Éomer, Citizen 2824, would like this as my new avatar:
 -

Thanks muchly, WGW! []

[ 06-22-2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

'My Request.'

-Dark/Elf
[] [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'~Formerly: Nolofinwë~ (Ex- Member) \{^v^^v^}/
When you were born, you were crying and everyone else was smiling. Live so that when you die, you're smiling and everyone else is crying.

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ingaran Nolofinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4240
posted      Profile for Ingaran Nolofinwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ingaran Nolofinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My Request

Thanks

From: Washington State University | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La-Brendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1145

posted      Profile for La-Brendel   Author's Homepage   Email La-Brendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My request!

[ 08-12-2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: La-Brendel ]

From: California Dude! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The new system sounds great! It seems very well thought out, I'm sure it will work well!
Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iris Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4341

posted      Profile for Iris Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

My request!

From: on the runway. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erufailar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3417

posted      Profile for Erufailar   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The picture I want as my avatar fits the requirements in every way-except one! It is 17.6 KB and I don't know how to shrink it! Can someone help me?

-

edit: Thanks Anoren Anarinwa! [] My avatar is now ready! So, if you would honor me, White Gold Wielder, I request this as my avatar.

[ 06-22-2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Erufailar ]

From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eruf, contact Fingolfin, he'll help you []

I, Arien the Maia, citizen number 4218 request this as my first avatar []
 -

Cheers to fresh start []

[ 09-11-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Arien the Maia ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Her Majesty the High Duchess of Torture and Pain.
Server of the Sun
~
Athene and Arien the Maia:
Overtaking posters since 2003

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
La-Brendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1145

posted      Profile for La-Brendel   Author's Homepage   Email La-Brendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Baggins, that avatar is currently taken by Morwen citizen 1625.
You should try looking through the gallery before posting []

From: California Dude! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go, Erufailar. This should be under the correct limit. []

-

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was having trouble loading that image into Photoshop CS.
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
two things

1) how does one become a Guard of the Citadel?

2) how do you get an avatar?

cheers

From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roxette
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2363

posted      Profile for Roxette   Email Roxette   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Read the Faq!
From: I can see Manhattan from my.... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to keep my old request of Avatar number 436 on Fran's page... er, maybe it's 456... it's either one of the two! []
From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post the image? Makes my life easier and it's good practice for you. []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hylian Hero
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4210
posted      Profile for Hylian Hero   Email Hylian Hero   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
436-  -
456-  -

I think the First might be the one he wanted....

[ 06-22-2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Hylian Hero ]

From: Windy City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think Elrond meant 463, not 436, which would be:

Bah! Go post the picture for yourself, Elrond. []

[ 06-22-2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ingaran Nolofinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4240
posted      Profile for Ingaran Nolofinwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ingaran Nolofinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the first one HH posted would go well with Elrond.
From: Washington State University | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Which is why I wanted Elrond to say for himself so we wouldn't have to guess.

BTW, I updated the FAQ with the current events concerning avatars.

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Well, I remember him posting that avatar in the last thread anyway.
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Éomer was right with my request... sorry! []

I'm sorry White Gold Wielder!

From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

So what is your request? []
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
The one you posted!
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Avatars - The Next Generation (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  36  37  38 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Open Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help