Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » PTP (Pruning the Pony) (Page 1)
Author Topic: PTP (Pruning the Pony)
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am putting out the call for discussion on voluntary pruning of Pony threads. My goal is to reduce the number of posts in the Pony by 10,000 at least and 20,000 with effort.

Let’s start with threads with posts numbering in the hundreds with those over 1000 posts being looked at first. We’re never going to make much difference by removing threads with less than 100 posts, so let’s not even consider them at this time.

Please post a link to the topic in question and any comments you wish. Then we will briefly discuss whether there is ANY reason to keep the topic. Usually if there is ANY value in a thread, it will be kept, but we have got to all try to not be OVERLY emotional about these things.

If no one can come up with a rational reason to keep a topic, it will either be deleted by the topic-starter or me.

Totals thus far:
Deleted or Restarted: 22000+ Posts (I'm no longer counting)
Saved or Preserved: 1589 Posts

Here is the list of remaining nominated topics:
(Link - # of Posts - Topic Starter)

Person below you - 1600 Posts - Viscount Vachilles

Battle of the Pics, Round Two! - 806 Posts - Eleanor Gamgee

What I IMAGINE you look like... (Part 3.14) - 1082 Posts - Turambar

Italiano Cafe - 521 Posts - Mystic Hunter

*SAVED* Girls = Meat? - 1017 Posts - Viøla

The Sadie Hawkins Dance IV: Happy Not New Years! - 602 Posts - Elessar

Mel Gibson's THE PASSION of the CHRIST - 353 Posts - Deraj the Plaid

The Dark Tower Inn (II) - 996 Posts - The DarkQueen Iauraearien

The Denominational Inn - 367 Posts - The Mighty Müsnud

what you've never done before - 246 Posts - *Tintalle Thúle

The Non-Believers' Inn - 278 Posts - Justin Warrick

*SAVED* The Debatable Inn - 572 Posts - Lugbúrz

The Innkeepers' Inn - 275 Posts - Estella Brandybuck

Gollum and Saruman`s inn... - 516 Posts - ChrispyCream

Name that Quote! - 554 Posts - Eleanor Gamgee

The Original Riddle Game Revived - 438 Posts - Estella Brandybuck

The "Deflated" House of Joy - 528 Posts - The Mighty Müsnud

Questions for Christians - 2 - 369 Posts - Imbëar

Politics and Religon Poll - 355 Posts - Justin Warrick

Religion Poll - 274 Posts - Justin Warrick

The original and official Matrix thread of goodness - 274 Posts - ChrispyCream

The Matrix: SEX0RS - 316 Posts - Deraj the Plaid

Reconstruction - 307 Posts - Tuor

Name That Face II - 454 Posts - Imrahil of Dol Amroth

Le French Poll - 271 Posts - Nash Rómerandir

WOMEN! - 275 Posts - Dolmed

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, a lot of threads could be restarted, ala most of the game threads.

On a similar topic, there are more than a few citizens who are adept at personal archival of threads and could offer advice for those who wish to save a personal copy of a humongoid thread.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aranel Charis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

posted      Profile for Aranel Charis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Even if some lengthy threads that are more 'chatty' were restared, it would be good.
Also, Citizen of the Moment or person Above you part 2 thread could be restarted/deleted...

From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

What about the 1600 post beast, Person below you,
or the original 4000 post behemoth, Person above you?

Roll of Honor Aranel Charis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

posted      Profile for Aranel Charis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
most likely they could be deleted too... []
From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If threads with pictures take up more room, surely the "Battle of the Pics" thread could and should be axed. Particularly as there is a "Battle of the Pics Round Two.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've deleted my only big Pony thread of about 7 pages. Just doing my part. []

As glorious and provocative a thread as this one is, it could be deleted, or restarted if it must.

Here's so more:

Following Game

Outlaw Chat Thread: This particular thread was restarted but the older ones were not deleted. One should of course contact the participants of course.

This beast is on page 22.

That's the first 40 pages of the Pony. All of the ones I've mentioned are above 1000 posts.

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Interview with the vampire thread ( here ) was supposed to be deleted...I think. Neytari has been doing them lately and whenever she starts a new one she deletes the old.

Edit: The What I imagine you look like thread could start over.
-Guin

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ask Nash before you delete Outlaws, he might have plans for it...
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ingaran Nolofinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4240
posted      Profile for Ingaran Nolofinwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ingaran Nolofinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is a 500 and some thread, hasnt been posted in for almost a year.

here

From: Washington State University | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hylian Hero
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4210
posted      Profile for Hylian Hero   Email Hylian Hero   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure Keo wont mind Remaking the Order of the Llama .

And restarting The Japanese Garden (despite the talk of anything Japanese) would do good.

If someone could get in contact with Mystic Vala, mabe he/she could remake the Person Above you and Battle of the Pics, if not then i guess well decide wholl take over them later.

I cant name anyone who would miss An Online Dating whatever it was called....

Hope this helps.....mabe not...at least I tried....

From: Windy City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ingaran Nolofinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4240
posted      Profile for Ingaran Nolofinwë   Author's Homepage   Email Ingaran Nolofinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure someone could restart this if they wanted too.

oops, I did read through, just missed that one []

E- A more efficient way of doing this might be to find out what threads people want to keep.

[ 05-26-2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Ingaran Nolofinwë ]

From: Washington State University | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, a brutally efficient method would be to turn the Pony over to Thorin for about an hour. [] [] []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you all should reread what was posted already, most of those were brought up. It helps looking through a thread before you post so as to reduce redundancy.

Wandering Tuor,

Brilliant!

[ 05-26-2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hylian Hero
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4210
posted      Profile for Hylian Hero   Email Hylian Hero   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I couldnt tell you linked it cause it said "This" and "This" could mean ANYTHING [] but im sorry.....
From: Windy City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, mine has 979 right now and I promise to watch it and let it go over 1000. I'm ready for a new one anyway.
From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Baggins of the Shire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4324
posted      Profile for Lady Baggins of the Shire   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Baggins of the Shire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And restarting The Japanese Garden (despite the talk of anything Japanese) would do good.

Actually, we are planning to move that thread to the Floating Log since it seems to be only useful in welcoming newbies. It also is a place to relax, but we do alreayd have many threads in the Pony like that.

If you would like, WGW, I am sure Iris would be happy to move the Japanese Graden to the Floating Log upon your command. **curtsies(spelling?)*

Also, the Birthday threads should be deleted for those were only good for one day.

[ 05-26-2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Lady Baggins of the Shire ]

From: Near the shores of the Grey Havens | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And i think that Comic Con is over, so mabe they can start a new thread next year...hope this helps.....mabe not...at least I tried....
Please don't delete the comic-con thread. That convention isn't untill July and there is some information in there we would like to keep up. I'm sure that something could be done with it after the convention is over but please please please don't do anything with it yet.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lost, maybe start a new one and then just link the old one.
From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hylian Hero
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4210
fixed (sorry i thought it was sometime in march or something [] )
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what about the What are you listening to? thread? It's getting on in size and very little of real value.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, the Birthday threads should be deleted for those were only good for one day.
That should probably be up to whomever the thread was dedicated too. Some people find those sentimental.

I'd like Comic Con to stay up too. Like Losty said, it has information.
Girls = Meat has gotten pretty long.
Theres also the Sadie Hawkins dance
And the thread about The Passion of the Christ
The dark tower Inn could at least be restarted along with the Denominational Inn
-Guin

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

quote:
quote:

That should probably be up to whomever the thread was dedicated too. Some people find those sentimental.
There are past discussions about that. Personally I think it's a good idea to recycle birthday threads.

Besides, they don't usually get all that long

E:
quote:
That's the first 40 pages of the Pony. All of the ones I've mentioned are above 1000 posts.
I looked from page 40 on and none get past 500.....most barely make it to 100 or 200. So it seems the largest threads are toward the top.

[ 05-26-2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Lostfiniel ]

Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, what about the What are you listening to? thread? It's getting on in size and very little of real value.
Actually, I very much enjoy that thread, and I've discovered tons of new music by listening to what I see other people listening to there. It could definitely be restarted though...
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These aren't too long, really, but they all have near or more than 250 posts.

useless facts? Though neat and funny, it doesn't really serve a purpose...a lot of it was already lost, I believe, a while ago when MT had all those problems.

What you've never done before This game hasn't been posted in for a long time. If people want to keep it, it could be restarted...

Non-Believers Inn This hasn't been posted in for a long time, though could be restarted.

TORcers Any reason this should stay? (Edit: Actually, this thread is good MT history. - WGW)

War thread Hasn't been posted in, and we have a lot of them. (307 posts)

Debatable Inn Hasn't been posted in; could be restarted at least. (572 posts)

InnKeepers Inn

of Twitterpation and the Y chromosome Any reason to keep this? ( [] )

All right, I think that covers going backwards until page 30.

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » PTP (Pruning the Pony) (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help