Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  25  26  27 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to be our steward's opinion on 'repeated' Library threads.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gimli son of Glóin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1863

posted      Profile for Gimli son of Glóin   Email Gimli son of Glóin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Herendil.
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya Singollo. I did not mean to be instructive when I addressed it to you. I was simply trying to tell you that it was not worth your effort to placate the two sides of this debate, if indeed there are two sides. I think we agree and I'm sure what I said has been said before even in this very thread. I just feel that we must not bother with trying to do anything to bring more people into the literary section proactively.

We generate good discussion, attract the best people to the thread and leave it upto them to carry it forward. End of story. I addressed it to you to carry on the conversation of your musings, that's all.

And I think WGW was speaking about Watcher. Oops, he spoke wisely after the praise. []

If we quoted the Steward's wise words it will make a comic strip no doubt. He's grown with this website in more ways than people notice.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The whole point of a message board is interaction!
. The ever-sagacious Mahanaxar has a valid point here. If you just want to read and never participate, there are sites with well researched, informative and superbly organized essays. People join a bulletin board in order to discuss a subject, and discussion involves participation. Participation arises from a love of and enthusiasm for the subject - and this love can be just as easily killed as nurtured. What we need to do is encourage people when they discover things for themselves and nurture in them the joy of thinking.

There is an excitement to be thinking about something and suddenly have the light go on. The world you knew is suddenly askew; the words you have read a million times take on new life. You want to learn more, you want to dig deeper, you want to discuss it with someone. And then you are told: Been there, done that, that thought has been thought. End of discussion. End of you actually caring. You retire to the Pony and nurse your beer. Or maybe you do follow that link and read the old thread - and discover that reading old threads can be like watching other people's home movies.

If you are encouraged to think more about that "light bulb" thought - if there is more discussion in which you are encouraged to participate and hone your thoughts and sharpen your critical thinking skills, you are far more likely to come up with original ideas and to enthusiastically participate in the future. Good thinkers just don't spring fully grown from the head of Eru.

Further, if you have ever taught, you know that different classes have different personalities and will often react in totally unexpected ways. This may be the fifteenth time you have discussed Julius Caesar with high school Sophomores, but somehow someone in the class always comes up with some way of looking at things that neither you nor the classes of the previous 14 years thought of. Would that student have come up with that had they been in the class of '99? How much of the thought process that leads up to that insight is due to the dynamic of the particular group they are in? Might a new thread on an old subject, particularly one not discussed for a long time, be justified?

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The only times I really direct people to post elsewhere is in the case of posting in the wrong forum (in which case I move the thread and all is solved) and in the case of posting a new thread about an existing Library topic.

Questions in the Library of a certain caliber and we need every opinion gathered in one place for it to be effective. I need to stop serious discussion in these cases and try to move it to the right Library thread in the hopes of valid and interesting ideas not being lost in a parallel thread. That's really one of the major points of the Library.

If there were a way I could move a thread to append an existing thread, it would be a better solution, but alas that can't be done.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, I think we were all just having a laugh at your expense. And my goodness we can do with some laughter around here. I think your idea about the library is very much needed. The whole idea of having the library is lost if related topics are scattered.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to be clear. []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you guys really need a little laugh go here []
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi WGW,

I made an introduction to the HOME forum (though I still have to add some things). I hope you like it. I read the "Keep the home fire burning"-thread by Ecthelion and I thought the forum might get a bit of a push with an introduction thread. I'm doing my best to finish the thread.

[ 08-04-2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Quendil Gondolindrim ]

From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That is an awesome sticky thread. It's the best one I've seen. You are an artist!
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thank you, Tuor. That's too much honour to me. *bows* Maerbenn actually sent me a list with threads he'd reccomend. []

*whispers* Did you see that hidden link?

*won't give more tips*

E: I finished it now. And it works. Would you please make it sticky again, WGW?

[ 08-05-2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Quendil Gondolindrim ]

From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curumo the Black
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2265

posted      Profile for Curumo the Black   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A Note On Banning

About a year and a half ago I was abruptly banned from MT for roughly a year.
Unruly behaviour. []
I have returned a much more restrained, polite
and
sinister citizen.

Thanks WGW

From: West Middle-Earth | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why should all of the Citizens with citizen numbers below 1000 have had the exclusive rights to have freely discussed certain subjects?
Actually, its citizens below 100. []

Having read through this thread, much said seems the way of the message board. Fortunatly, I am not around enough to see the fights, and it is unfortunate that people wish to act like that. Being that the 'fighters' are probably an extreme minority of people who are here, I would just slap a ban on both parties without thinking too much about it. Everyone else will get along without their bickering, and they may even miss the place after a few days and behave themselves when they are allowed to come back. As for much-publicized 'I'm Leaving' displays... well I commented on that with the Form Letter. []

So, lets all get along no matter if your poision is literary discussion, RP, or chat. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3303

posted      Profile for GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   Email GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How many forum posters does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"

... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
==========================

Someone posted that on another forum and I thought it was appropriate for this thread (all in fun [] ).

From: Cary NC | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
1 to say that the whole light-bulb thing didn't need to appear in two seperate threads.
[]

[ 08-13-2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3303

posted      Profile for GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   Email GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably right, I just got carried away. []
From: Cary NC | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But I believe it makes a good point. []
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

*Tries to continually post in the lit. forums*

*Decides it was more fun than she remembered*

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is mostly directed to citizens who post a lot, or more than me anyway.

I keep reading that "MT is full of fighting nowadays". I'm aware of a couple brawls (e.g. the SSA-Ecthelion thing a month or so ago) but other than that I just don't see that much fighting.

Do you agree that the in-fighting has substantially increased recently, or do you think that this is an exaggeration?

Obviously I don't want anyone to rehash whatever fights have occurred; I'm really just wondering if there are people other than me who are confused as to what all the fuss is about.  -

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imby
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2990

posted      Profile for Imby   Email Imby   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if WT was just looking for a good excuse to use that smily*
Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Since I'm often confused, I find that that is a very useful smiley. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just don't see that much fighting
*whacks WT in the face with his axe* []

No, I haven't really noticed a great change in the amount of fighting during the time I've been here. It's just that they lose their novelty and become ever more tedious over time...

[ 08-21-2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Glóin the Dark ]

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

*neatly ducks the axe blow aimed at his knees*

That was my other theory -- there aren't any more fights, they've just gotten stupider.

Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs*

I really don't understand how these fights just keep perpetuating themselves...

Look, people...I know everybody has their differences, but it's no reason to fight. In fact, I think it's a great blessing to have such a diverse population on this board. But that kind of diversity does lead to friction. Different people have different personalities. Some have short fuses and snap at people frequently, others have longer fuses and bottle their annoyance up, only to explode suddenly at some later point, taking everybody pretty much by surprise. Some people here seem to have very little temper at all. These are all things we have to deal with, and it can be rather annoying when someone is constantly ill-tempered, but what really disturbs me is the reaction when somebody tries to apologize around here...

It's not easy for some people to apologize...I've known quite a few people who practically grimaced like they were pulling barbed thorns from their feet when they were trying to say a simple "I'm sorry." But I appreciated that they were trying to apologize. Although even their apologies were sometimes very moody and aggressive in and of themselves, at least they had matured enough to try to say that they were sorry. Those apologies meant more to me than even many more polite expressions of guilt, because it demonstrated a change in character in some of the most surly and stubborn people I've known...and I appreciated that it was very difficult for them to learn to apologize.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if an apology isn't what you might consider satisfactory, don't turn it down outright...the person may be doing something very difficult in apologizing to you, and you don't want to make it the last time by insulting them even as they open up to you.

So please, just be a bit more gentle, even with rough, brusque people on the board, and maybe, just maybe, they'll soften up a bit.

From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm really just wondering if there are people other than me who are confused as to what all the fuss is about.
Me. I like to know about fights so I can make some popcorn, pull up a seat, and occasionally post in the 'fight thread' a little stir.
Seriously, its really a factor of some people thinking they are more important that someone else, and instead of accepting a messageboard for what it is and discussing coherent, articulate topics, they become chatty quick-posts, and then people start taking what others say too seriously, or take themselves too seriously, and the next thing, they are rolling around in a mudpit. It is the way of the messageboard.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  25  26  27 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help