Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread (Page 26)
Author Topic: The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But some of the nuts are the same meat, wearing different shells. []
From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they're into playing the shell game... []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nine people on line; the only forums lit up are the Pony and the Log.

I do have something I'd like to ask up north, but know perfectly well that my question will be shot down in flames, so I'm not bothering. I'll take my question elsewhere.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or shoot a PM over! Someone could even ask it for you.
From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks King!

We'd only get the famous "look at this thread", even though I can't find it anywhere - my search ablities on MT being pathetic.

edit: check PMs. []

[ 08-14-2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Check PMs... you know who you are. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Argh! I've about had it with the rash of newbies that are creating nonsense threads in the literary forums. They are full of incoherent rants and ravings.

I've been a member here for five years and have made my share of contributions, but this is pushing the limits of my tolerance!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rash of newbies, or Mandos? He can definitely seem like a rash of newbies.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

There are a couple of others that were pretty bad, but it has greatly paled next to the all cap nightmare.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Going back 10 months...
quote:
Maybe some of it is - but you probably didn't see the deleted posts, nor the PM. Trust me, melodramatic is apt.
Moving forward 10 months... I understand now!

And yes, I know what you mean about the CAPS crowd.

[ 03-30-2006, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog, as also having experienced some of the... unpleasantness... I am greatly anticipating your long-awaited thread regarding people on message boards. You know all that, though.

Regarding the rash of incoherency in the Lit threads, here's my thoughts. I've mentioned to a number of people privately that I don't see any maliciousness in it. It's just the way this person thinks and / or posts. I don't believe it is any attempt to disrupt things up North. That happens on occasion, but it is rare. I remember only one time where someone made a new screen-name to screw with the Lits, and she stopped using that name and deleted her thread rather quickly, before WGW could put the fear of Eru into her.

A similar theory of "purposeful disruption" has popped up about this poster, but I don't agree with it. In this case I think it is just the way this person posts. He seems to be enthusiastic for Tolkien, which is the main way he should be judged, I would argue.

I know it is frustrating to attempt to understand his posts or to work around them in a legitimate thread, but that is the route I personally would recommend.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*also greatly anticipates Snöwdog's thread*

As for the CAPS nightmare... on the one hand I agree with Thorin. This just seems to be the way he posts and he is, if anything, enthusiastic about Tolkien. On the other hand, I agree with everybody else. His posts are generally incomprehensible and have nothing to do with Tolkien's work. Instead they are a mish-mash of his own theories and fantasies loosely based on Tolkien... they all read like bad D&D fanfic. His posts don't bring, generally, serious discussion of Middle-earth. Instead, the literary forums are now filled with threads where he posts something incoherent and the rest of the posts in the thread are invariably What are you talking about? or Huh? or Are you high? or Have you actually read the books? or Tolkien never wrote that! And yes... I admit to writing some of those posts. [] Mainly because I find myself driven further and further away from the literary forums. I find myself frustrated by his crack-pot theory threads and the fact that he drags down any serious thread. I wish that I could ignore him and be the better person, but apparently I can't. I have tried to give him pointers and curb his fanfic ways, but have obviously been ignored.

That being said... I have no solution either. I would never suggest him being banned. The only thing I can think of is to ignore him until his enthusiasm abates.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Thinking of titling it Internet communities & real life or Tale of Two Realities, or The interactive life or such. I should have it up on Saturday as I'll have time to get it all together then.

Now the n00bz are a good infusion usually, bringing back some discussions and all. I don't have an issue discussing Middle Earth topics that have been discussed previously.

Of course it seems that some do have problems with how topics are discussed, but that is another story.

All in all Minas Tirith is not "going downhill" because of such antics.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The Minas Tirith over-reactions are going downhill.... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

So sad for you...
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[] []
That worked well []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have we hit rock bottom yet?

Probably the wrong header smiley. []

[ 07-28-2006, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*KLUNK*
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that was just a boulder on the side of the hill. See, it's giving way as I speak.

[ 07-28-2006, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where'd everybody go?
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

-
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's holiday season. People are travelling (like me), or hurrying to get business done before the end of the year (like me), or visiting friends and family (like me), or studying for final exams (not me!). It seems MT goes through peaks and troughs of activity around the holiday season, vacation season, and when students go and come home from school.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

November was NaNoWriMo, so I'm seldom around during that rush.

Bungo's loss still affects me. Certain threads just make me shrivel inside when I see the title. I've got to learn to deal with loss in a better way.

Trivia questions have been unchallenging and the lit forums have dried up due to certain postings making it difficult. (See above discussions.) I looked in one sections and only a couple of threads showed up, as no one had posted in 45 days.

The huge number of role threads and their asides seems to be the only active area of the board.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The White Hand.
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, I dunno... I mean, would we be a real, grown up message board without our collection of noobs and trolls. If we didn't have trolls, who would live under our bridges.

Would be a crying shame to see some distinguished citizens driven off. It's great that some younger folk who "grew up" here drop by. Some older folk who were allegedly already "growed up" (appearances, like behaviour, can be deceiving) are still here and no more or less growed than before.

I think we need to hold our ground and not let the trolls get too far from their bridge dwellings.... Let's burn the bridges and set the trolls to the task of building then haunting new homes. Yes, burning bridges... always advisable. Now, where'd I put that flamethrower of mine. I know it's around here somewhere... []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread (Page 26)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help