Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread (Page 15)
Author Topic: The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thalion - bump away! And a comment or fresh perspective on the bumped thread is appreciated. []
I like to go burrowing in the sediment at the bottom of the forums to see what treasure is lying buried there, but often don't have the time.

From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A missing "p"?
No... an "h" instead of a "b". []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I inhaled. That was the point." -Barack Obama

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should have left it myself.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Freudian slip...
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that, trying to find older threads about a topic and bumping them is preferable to starting the umpteenth thread on the same topic... So, bump away, you can bring some forgotten treasures into daylight again.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... it also helps you avoid the dreaded: "That has already been discussed here, here and here." []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I suppose I will, but I always feel stupid adding a medeocere comment to a year old thread.
From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Whyte Chyld Wyelder
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3898

posted      Profile for Whyte Chyld Wyelder   Author's Homepage   Email Whyte Chyld Wyelder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I figured that was the typo you were talking about Singy. Great minds, as well as perverted ones, think alike.
From: Lost in the depths of my mind | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Herendil I think MT is one of the best forums out there, most of them have lit discussions mixed with the movies, and many people in them it is quite obvious have only seen the movies, but still try and discuss tolkiens work. Also many of the people here have a much better knowledge of Tolkiens works. It would be a shame if you were to leave, that would get rid off one more of our best posters, something no site could afford.
From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beleg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3671
posted      Profile for Beleg   Email Beleg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
grin and bear it.
From: Pakistan | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gildor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4036

posted      Profile for Gildor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Herendil, I think it is a shame to see you go. Although I have only been here a short time, I always thought very highly of you and your ideas. You always had well thought out posts and I looked forward to reading them. You were one of my 'role models' when I first joined the White City. I am not trying to change your mind, as it seems you have already made the decision to leave, but would like to say thanks and that it is a shame that Minas Tirith will lose one of its most respectful posters.
From: Well I was born in a small town | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
I guess I was being selfish, I was trying to get him to stay, this site lost Nimruzir, and I hold Herendil in the same league(as well as having those cool names [] )

[ 02-04-2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Thalion ]

Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I checked all the 'gamers'. Only you, Ecthelion of the Fountain, Emeldir the Manhearted, Thalion and perhaps Nolofinwë participate actively in the literary discussions,
yeah, you all can bite me, i was listed first! and as we all know when you make a list put the most important item first.

sorry to see youre going herendil, in enjoyed your posts. they have a quality that many southern posters could learn from. maybe some time away, i did it after the horid last movie that peter jackson says is the lord of the rings came out. did me some good, might do us all some good.

lug- you mentioned Eol, is that ol forest pirate still around? i miss him, along with many of the other ol greats.

i think the lit is in one of its low discussion times, i dont think its anything to worry about. its like hitting in baseball, the second you stop concentrating on all the little imperfections and just go with what feels good youll find youve done well

again, i was mentioned FIRST =)

[ 02-06-2004, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Ecthelion of the Fountain ]

From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you were mentioned second.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

I was mentioned first! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well he had to mention you first, it was an issue between you two. but i was the one he thought of first after the present company
From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So he thought of you second then Echthelion []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

I'm sure if he thought of drunkin posts, your name would be at the top of the list Ecth! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I returned to the City after being away for a while, and almost at once ran into a few posts that made me wonder why I bothered. [] (Fortunately, there were also posts that made me remember it.)

In short: Why do some of the citizens have to right away start yelling at newbies who don't immediately get a hang on the ropes?

If you were a newbie who has asked a "stupid" question (i.e., usually something in the Literature forums that has been discussed a hundred times before), which kind of answer would you rather like to get:
quote:
N00b, this question has been discussed a hundred times, like here, here, and here. Go read the FAQ, and use the search next time before you post such waste of bandwidth.
or:
quote:
Hi N00b, welcome to MT!

As for your question, there are a few older threads about that subject, for example here, here, and here. They could have been easily found by using the Search function (link in the upper right corner of the page) with the keyword "(insert keyword)"; as it is preferred to continue old threads about a topic to starting new ones about it, please try and perform a search before doing that next time.

I would also advise you to read the All Newbie Questions Answered thread in the Floating Log forum, as well as the FAQ (link in the first post of that thread, as well as next to the Search button.

You know who you are. Try to learn some politeness, it would be nicer for everybody. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lets all remember
quote:
Don't leave the path!
problems can be solved.
From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I just complained about this n00b business on a tread where I saw it going on. Then I wandered over here, and......
From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The question about bumping is when does bumping become thread necromancy?

I think that Eryndil has the right of it. Adding a new persepective is good, parroting other opinions is bad.

...which would make this very post an example of what not to do.

[ 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Sentarius ]

From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
Not to mention double posting. []
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
Double posting is more debatable in my mind.

Given that I was posting on two subjects, on the one hand it's a little lazy to not read everything and carefully construct one big post, but on the other hand that's a lot of work and the double post keeps two different thoughts seperate.

GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I first joined the forums, about 16 months ago, I was greeted by the person who got me to join. Then, the second post on the thread was by someone (who shall remain unnamed). It pretty much said "Hey! Welcome! Go FAQ yourself!". Which was cool, but sadly, i've seen that person just turn to the Dark Side and totally turn into a total jerk, and then just sort of vanish.

Since then, the sheer amount of n00b bashing i've witnessed has been disturbing. Sometimes, i'll admit, it's deserved, but most of the time it isn't. Any n00b I have the chance to talk to, I always treat them like an equal, because they are. They aren't lower or higher than me. That's the wonder of the forums. The wisest person on the forums could be a 12 year old girl, and the most annoying could be a 53 year old guy.

We're all the same. We were all n00bs at one point or another. Most of us know that, but sometimes...people think that just because their citizen number is below 1000, their better than the rest of us. Not all, but some. Heck, there are people who's CN is in the 4000's, and they think that. Too bad for them. This is a place for fans of Tolkien to go and discuss their love of his works, as well as day to day things, just to keep the place lively and interesting. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Play 'Wheels On The Bus' and get the hell out of my sight."

On a bumper sticker "Jesus Saves...the rest of you take full damage."

From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » The Official "MT is going downhill" Thread (Page 15)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  25  26  27 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help