Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Nominate a Thread for Deletion (Page 7)
Author Topic: Nominate a Thread for Deletion
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*spanks Leaf for deleting his birthday thread*
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Singy...don't worry...next year! [] []
From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mr Leaf - bumping the old goodbye-threads created the real problem, if there is one. It seems to me as if the only purpose of it was to ridicule those who left and wanted some attention when they left - however, ridiculing them half a year later for that is probably the lamest thing, even in internet history, the pinnacle of things producing lame things []
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For real! Archive those goodbye threads so they can't be bumped.
And stop bumping them *shakes finger at said bumpers*

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Come now. The value of those goodbye threads are highly debatable -- and certainly not "worth more" than harmless bumping. Since when is MT supposed to be satire-free? Sheesh. []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Satire rocks! Go, go, go, Mak and Dawg!
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong at all with satire, in moderation.
*goes to see how many Silm bumped in retaliation [] *

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not opposing satire, and I'm not trying to restrain you. I merely point out that, in my opinion, this bumping-business has lost its charm and is now nothing more but an annoying, and often self-righteous, behaviour. Again, I don't want you banned, I just voice my opinion, and I hope that you take a hint and follow my wishes immediately since I am the Lord of Fire and eat elves just like you for breakfast!!! []

[]

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love MT for this kind of debate... []

Speaking for myself, the idea behind bumping those threads was to draw attention to how absurd I think they are. IMO, they are sui generis more spam-like than any bumping. That was also the impetus for my utterly, unabashedly silly poll . I will be the first to say that that thread's value is negligible.

Leaf:
quote:
The biggest problem IMO is that people start bumpping them for no reason.
Is this really a problem? I don't see it that way. If it's a question of confusion (ie older threads being bumped lead some to think it's new), then who's fault is it for not reading the first post?

quote:
Goodbye threads actually often say something about the state of the community, and I therefore tend to think that they are more worth saving than a lot of the other things in the pony (and other fora)
While I agree that they do provide a good snapshot of what's going on at MT; the value of any thread is, however, a matter of personal preference. I think most of the movie threads, yes even the ones I've participated in, are cheap fodder for the virtual trash can. And in fading light of the trilogy's half-life, they're even more useless and repetitive. But they're still clearly active.

My own relatively-new status on MT notwithstanding, I've had considerable experience with message boards since the 'Elder Days' of CompuServe and DOS. [] In environments like this, no one 'owns' thread content, or can dictate what people can or cannot post (within bounds set by WGW, of course). Tuor tried to do that recently a Lit thread, which apparently went over like a lead balloon.

The thing is, we collectively like the freedom, the near-anarchy of message boards. It gives us a forum to say what want (again, within specified bounds) -- not necessarily be received the way we want to be received. How you or anyone else reads and/or responds to my postings is essentially none of my business. IOW, no one has a 'right' to expect MTers (and by extension, thread content) to behave a particular way.

If people are uncomfortable about the free-for-all nature of message boards, then that's something they have to deal with. Foremost, this is supposed to be fun, entertaining even. Not some vehicle for self-actualization. It's simply not the place for that, and those who come to MT, or any message board, looking for that level of personal gratification are likely to be disappointed, "hurt" and eventually will leave.

I also believe (some of) the goodbye threads constitute more self-righteousness than bumping, hence the hijacking. It was the art of protest against certain type of board behavior, MT-style. []

Bele:
quote:
Again, I don't want you banned, I just voice my opinion, and I hope that you take a hint and follow my wishes immediately since I am the Lord of Fire and eat elves just like you for breakfast!!!
[]
Oh, I know you don't want me banned. [] Who else can put a smile on a Balrog's face than this impish Noldo? []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with some of what you said Silm, but I disagree with your conclusions. I like satire, but IMO it was more self-righteous than funny. I dont hold you responsible for the fact that people misunderstood the size of the "leaving-threads-problem". You quoted me out of context. What I meant was that I think it is more annoying that the first page of the pony was filled with old threads than that people were making threads when they are leaving. I asked several times in a pony thread on this WHO exactly it was, that recently had made a goodbye thread that made so many people think "goodbye threads suck". The only goodbye/cya later threads from 2005 I remember right now are Hida, James, Estel, Bele, and Curu's -- Is it their board-behaviour you oppose? Or is it the board behaviour of posters back in 2002?

I really thought it was fun at first, but didn't you notice the sudden rice in self-righteous "oh people just want attention blah blah"-posts that came from this satire? Can you not at all see where I am coming from? I dont even wanna discuss this anymore. At least not in this thread. I hope you answer this post, but don't put too many questions for me in it, cause then I'll just be tempted to reply []

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elros
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4259
posted      Profile for Elros   Author's Homepage   Email Elros   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The thread entitled 'Three Word Post' is idiocy at its pinnacle. It is a thread consisting of the same people posting every other minute.

The pathetic thing is, it's lasted eight pages.

Waste of Time

From: OBX NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun! Lighten up! It's waaay better than threads full of people bashing each other around the head because of their beliefs. []
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I don't know Queenie [] The blood letting in those type of threads have a certain amount of amusement attatched to them []
*Sees images of various citizens with steam coming out of their ears and going red in the face because they can't understand why no-one can see how right they most surely must be* []
[]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Wang what possibly do you mean [] []

Luckily I don' fall under that - I KNOW I'm right [] []

Anyway....

From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You KNOW a lot...
From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can't WGW start a new thread here entitled "Nominate a Thread For Derision"? []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thread entitled 'Three Word Post' is idiocy at its pinnacle. It is a thread consisting of the same people posting every other minute.
The "I'm leaving" threads are 10 times much worse than that thread! It's just a light bit of fun...and at least it just one thread, whereas there are lots of thoses "I'm leaving" threads. It's just a bad way of etting attention. []

Blah!
[]

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Three Word Post is adorable!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

Okay...that's a bit too much! []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread here is a prime example of a thread that could be deleted. However, the entertainment value alone of someone having some sort of self-important crisis does make it worthy of keeping. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read through it yesterday. Good for a few yucks.
From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

No, I think that thread should not only be kept, but locked out so no one can remove their posts. There's a lot of stuff getting aired out there that I believe the rest of MT should get a chance to read. The problem is the Soviet-style revisionism that goes on.

* goes to save a copy of the thread for future reference *

e: [] now that I think about it, perhaps WGW would consider informing Citizens that on such-and-such date/time a particular thread was slated for deletion. That way whomever wants a record of it can save a copy. I click on 'printer friendly version' then save the whole thing as an html file.

[ 03-04-2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, please don't delete that thread.

I mean, the World Health Organisation and numerous Psychiatric Associations around the world have put such heavy restrictions on the use of human beings in psychological experimentation that Minas Tirith is virtually the only petrie dish left to us! []

Frankly, if it's OK to create a Goodbye thread, then it's OK to reply to it, whether or not it is intended as satire or not. My opinion only, of course. If, by satire, the pointing out of the ridiculousness of such threads is not permissible, then creating the ridiculous farewell and alas cruel world threads should not be permissible either.

Cannot have cake and eat it too.

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elros
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4259
posted      Profile for Elros   Author's Homepage   Email Elros   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's fun! Lighten up!
We obviously have diffreent opinions of what fun is and who needs to lighten up. []

Also, what people need to understand is you can boycott the 'Goodbye' threads if you have a problem with them. They only last as long as you bump.

From: OBX NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ Ryan. I like that thread - though I insist I've only posted in it once.
Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Nominate a Thread for Deletion (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help