Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen (Page 8)
Author Topic: Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen
Nelyafinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5247

posted      Profile for Nelyafinwë   Email Nelyafinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with SSA.

When I joined here in the fall of '02, I was one of the most active lit posters, and enjoyed it very much. It did get boring, however, when we were not allowed to discuss topics if they'd been discussed before, and when the people who were telling us we couldn't never offered up topics that they considered worthy. Now I hardly ever post up north.

Just because a topic was discussed two years ago doesn't mean that we shouldn't have another crack at it. When it comes to movies, people make remakes all the time. It's the same idea - a new person, a new time, a new interpretation.

If only this board could be more open to that.

From: The Green Dragon - forever and always | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hardly visit the Lits and I'm not defecting anywhere. The majority of the other boards I frequent online I've been visiting since before I found MT. []

I've just learned to not bother with the Lits, outside of the Password threads and the occasional linguistic discussion. There's no discussion of the books anymore, only people linking each other to older threads. I know they're the original reason why MT was created, but... ::shrug::

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SSA - I just wanted to post and say that I agree with you. Well done on some cracking posts. [] []
From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
See SSA Your not the only one who feels this way. We got your back. []
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Well, somebody had to say it. []

I gave up posting in the Lits long ago - though I would dearly love to discuss the books, I can't do it here because "they" won't let me. []

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should start our own Lit threads.
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What in the hell are you talking about, SSA?

According to your recent post list, the only time you have been up North recently was in my “Apple” thread, as you can see here. The conversation was perfectly civil, polite, and interesting. It seems that “They” allowed you to post there with no problem. However, once again we had a patented SSA-freakout, and you began yelling at me for no reason whatsoever. I think it is behaviour like this, and not any non-existent conspiracy against you, that makes you unwelcome.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with SSA. I have nothing original to say and people take issue with someone saying something that someone said before, so why should I say anything?
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First, let me say that I mostly agree with Eomer about the discription of the Lits nowdays. Secondly, I do see the point SSA is making, but I do not see how it is connected to what Thorin wrote about the ideal citizen.

The Lits are dried out of life. I blame many things about the fact but mostly the stuck-up behaviour of some part of people and the fact that the rest of us just leaft go. When I first came I loved discussing the books, and enjoyed some great debates for that matter, but I admit that I am just a Tolkien-fun reader and not a Tolkien expert.
Without claiming to be the ideal citizen, shouldn't there be room in the lits for the rest of us? I believe there should, but I am waiting for the times to change.

Other than that though, I am still unable to understand how we got from Thorin's post, where he discribed the ideal citizen according to him, to this, where we openly express our disappointment about the Lit forum []

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
Actually, I have felt recently that there's been a bit of a revival in the Lits.
At some point I will get round to reading my HoME III-VI, and then I can bother all you literati with more stupid questions.
[] [] []
Mwuhahahaha. Hahahahahahahah.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... the melodrama! []

I still enjoy posting in the literary forums, and I see no sign of them "dying". They do seem to go in cycles, much like the melodrama here. []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the interest in the lit. fora seems to feed on itself, much like the hysteria.
[] [] []
*pokes the hysterical, in hopes of provoking an amusing outburst*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah... the melodrama!
Oh come on, I wasn't that melodramatic []
[]

Besides, it is natural that some like the Lits as they are and that some don't.

*Reacts to Athene's posting*
 -

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
quote:
What in the hell are you talking about, SSA?

According to your recent post list, the only time you have been up North recently was in my “Apple” thread, as you can see here. The conversation was perfectly civil, polite, and interesting. It seems that “They” allowed you to post there with no problem. However, once again we had a patented SSA-freakout, and you began yelling at me for no reason whatsoever. I think it is behaviour like this, and not any non-existent conspiracy against you, that makes you unwelcome.

Thorin This whole discussion with SSA started when she said that everytime she says something in the lit threads someone always links her to another thread. Well Apple preservation or whatever that topic is a new thread and thats why she was posting in it. And I dont think your helping very much with your "patented SSA freakout".
quote:
I think it is behaviour like this, and not any non-existent conspiracy against you, that makes you unwelcome.
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
quote:
I am still unable to understand how we got from Thorin's post, where he discribed the ideal citizen according to him, to this, where we openly express our disappointment about the Lit forum
I don't know either, but I think things have gone too far to go back to the original premise anyway. Eh, I tried.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've a feeling that a part of Thorin's opinion on the Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen triggered SSA's reply:
quote:
The ideal Minas Tirith citizen does not participate in trifling activities such as Inns or chat threads
Anyway, I don't see what the fuss is all about. If someone has a question (s)he likes to put forwards in the Lit Fora, the best thing (s)he can do is to look whether or not this question already has been discussed before and if so, post in that thread his/her own opinion on it, or read the thread if only seeking new information on the matter.
If (s)he decides to make a new thread on an already discussed topic, I don't see why other people wouldn't be allowed to point at older, already existing thread so the person asking the question can have a loook at the info provided there and contribute in the older thread. If the person however feels that his/her question is different in some aspects than the question put forward in an older thread, I don't think anyone would object to him/her making a new thread on it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
This is an example of what we mean Thorin

Its no longer just in the Lit threads anymore.

Duzak
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 389

posted      Profile for Duzak   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is an example of what we mean Thorin

Its no longer just in the Lit threads anymore.

The issue has been beaten to death with blunt instruments in this thread. Please remove your conversation thither.
From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
Exactly my point. []
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It did get boring, however, when we were not allowed to discuss topics if they'd been discussed before … Just because a topic was discussed two years ago doesn't mean that we shouldn't have another crack at it. When it comes to movies, people make remakes all the time. It's the same idea - a new person, a new time, a new interpretation.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I completely agree. I have asked questions back in the day and I always got shoved off to read a +200 thread to figure out my answer. After a few months I gave up. I now ask my questions on a Marine Biology site. Weird right? []

Now as for this hot little debate I believe some of you are choosing to stand on the extreme edges of complete opposites. Why don’t you take a few steps back towards mainland and start giving-and-taking a bit?
Now I am smart enough to know that tone of voice doesn’t go any where in cyberspace so I’ll type it plain for all to see. My tone is an even and calm one aiming for civility and understanding. []

quote:
Exactly my point. []
…and as for that remark. Though Duz is doing exactly what I loathed about the Lit forms, his reason for doing it farther beyond what you may think it to be Joe. []

Both Duzak’s and my own posts are quite similar in purpose… I just like to talk more! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"That came directly from the Department of Redundancy Department!" -My Dad

"...if you were a book you'd be titled The Mysterious Mind and we'd find you in the paranormal experiences section!" --My Boss

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm saying this too often these days: not this thread again. []

I joined MT to mostly participate in the games (scrambles, trivia...) and though they are part of the literary forums, they hardly involve literary discussion. I have very rarely posted in a literary discussion but when I feel I have something to say I do so. I personally do not view MT as a website for literary discussion alone, but rather an online community of readers of Tolkien.

I completely agree with Earendilyon's post, I don't see what the fuss is about if someone politely posts a link to an older thread like Sam Gamgee did in your thread, Joe. I don't think posting a link to an older discussion is implying that you have done something wrong by posting the thread or repeating the question. It merely serves to make sure you are aware of the older conversation and others who read your thread are also aware of the older threads. If you feel that your thread is what you wanted then I don't see the need to feel bad or stop the discussion or delete the thread.

Heck, most of this thread is me being critical of some of WGW's way of handling things. []

But WGW has always stood by his policy of freedom and minimal interference, and in the long term this place has stabilized into a beautiful haven, although many members have left due to a variety of reasons. I think it is a pity that with a leader like him, people still feel their freedom is being curtailed and they are not welcome. Has the Steward ever popped in and told anyone that the thread they have made is redundant? I don't recall ever seeing that happen. Why presume "they" have the right to do so? If one has integrity and sincerity in their posts then why not just post and be civil? If someone who replies is not civil then report them to the Steward.

Of course if posting in the literary discussions is an ego trip meant to receive acknowledgement then that is probably not what a good citizen should be doing.

The literary forums are by no means dead, I agree with Thingol that it's cyclic. I see a lot of new members who don't bother with any melodrama and just post in there regularly. Their posts are most informative and very knowledgable. Galin, The Lurker, Belthronding, Mithrennaith just to name a few who have joined this year.

Thorin's list is very ambitous as it talks about an ideal citizen from his perspective. I wouldn't expect any less from such a fine citizen. But they are still subjective and this thread is here to discuss them in a productive and constructive manner.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In utter chaos lies impeccable symmetry.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

posted      Profile for Dancing Sparrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dancing Sparrow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally do not view MT as a website for literary discussion alone, but rather an online community of readers of Tolkien.

Hear, hear Lug! The above was my favorite part! I feels the same way! We are a huge community of diverse people but it is that one thing we all have in common that bring us together... J.R.R.T.

As it has been suggested before, MT will never return to what it was.
There is only one thing that can't be stopped other than time and that is change. We should not be looking back as to the way things were, but forward to the way things can one day become.

Spend your present dwelling in the past and your future will pass you by.

From: Over Yonder *points south* | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dancing Stool-Pigeon, nice to see you posting again! []

Duzak doesn't seem to mind if his posts go unacknowledged, although they provide me, and I'm sure few others who remember him, with a nice laugh or two.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Sorry for bumping this, Lug. I was trying to make a positive statement. I've been here long enough that I shouldn't have made such a hideous mistake. []

PS I enjoy seeing Duzak's posts too, but one has to be careful in directly addressing him. His attention towards others is amusing - his attention towards yourself can be uncomfortable.

Dancing Sparrow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2240

It's good to back Lugbug and thank you for the welcome! []

I was almost surprized that Duz even posted. He is one of the few "olbies", if I may, that I remember fondly but do not see so often.

It is nice to see you too Thorin!

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help