Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen (Page 5)
Author Topic: Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Where did this come from?

Why so much political correctness? I'm not scared to tell it right here.

Yes, I strongly supported Fingolfin and demanded he be treated with the respect he deserves, and I will stand by it, but I will say this too, right here, that irrespective of the fact that he broke a rule or not (the rules mean little to me when they are flagrantly broken all around) it shows poor judgement to enter the inn and continue recondite arguments for the sake of proving a point, when you know that mode of talk does not appeal to your adversary and nothing good will come out of it.

Fingy, if your intentions are good, you need a new tactic. If you're standing up for yourself, please sit down, this doesn't deserve your time.

Come people, we are not here to read between words, we are here to help the steward.

Do not, I repeat do not get into a discussion of words.

[ 10-12-2002, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1770

posted      Profile for Leire   Email Leire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If Fing was, indeed, called a "buttcrack" I'm afraid that will have been my fault. I did a brilliant job of feeding the flames of anger and insult back there . . .

Perhaps what we should look for in the ideal citizen is somewhat different than what we have been thinking. . . The ideal citizen needs to be exactly what we have said he/she should be, but I think the ideal citizen needs to start with us. That means, no flaming *cough* Mandin *cough*, respect others *cough* MUR *cough*, be kind *cough* myself *cough*, and ignore junk.

You will note that I added the last one; yes, we need to ignore stupid filth when it is directed at us and see that it is addressed by WGW when it is directed at someone else.

We could be trend setters. []

From: MO | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I give up!

Mandin tells me I should clarify if Tuor asks for clarification. Now you are yelling at me for doing so!

What the Hooha am I supposed to do?

I'll tell you what, you guys figure it out. I'm sick to death of the whole thing. Let the joint go down the drain, and I hope that someday all people here will be of identical thought so that the one person left can have nice discussions with himself.

I'm gone.

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I have never seen anything but the greatest respect for others from MUR. His discussions maybe passionate but that insinuation is rather lame, maybe it accounts for the third mention.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

[]

I like my timing.

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Ok, I realize what I did wrong, I didn't add a name; that was directed at Fingolfin, not you MUR.

[ 10-12-2002, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, fine, snippiness over.

But really, I've burned up half a day on this and gotten no where. I'm really much too old and tired to tilt at windmills anymore, at least for today.

Tuor: I'm wrong, whatever it is.

Fingolfin: I absolve you from responsibility from Adam to date. I doubt that means anything, but I'm siding with you.

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lug, I agree, in retrospect, it was probably not a good idea for me to enter their Inn and that is why I have held back and not responded to Pesky's remark since. I did, however, at that time, feel that I could not allow that remark to go and they is why I entered. I hope you can understand why I did what I did though it perhaps wasn't the most productive of tacts.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

All I can say is that if all the time and energy in this feud, from the beginning, had been put into other channels, where you would have been among friends, your time here would have been better spent. We are all still waiting for you to join us in the game. []

If the Steward acts on this so be it, else I think it really shouldn't bother you at all.

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MUR,

For what it is worth, I appreciate your patience. I really don't believe you understand what I'm trying to say and the same goes the other way.

In short, thanks.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

I know I can be a so-and-so. Let's just get past it all, okay?
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to not take you out of context.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I go see No Doubt last night and the place starts burning down! Sheesh.

I have a Halloween party to go to and no time to address this in mega-depth right now. Still, here is something to think about.

I don't mind when people feel empowered to try to help take care of problems. I do care when these efforts get carried away and people forget what they were trying to do in the first place. They end up making the problem last even longer and sometimes causing new ones.

Look, if you are going to try to be an authority figure, you have to follow through and be aware of your actions and act like one. Does this mean getting baited into a long show of tempers? Lowering yourself to the level of the problem?

Know why I don't post 15 times on a page when discussing a problem? Because I don't need to repeat myself. Know why I don't get pulled into arguments? Because I am smart enough to stay out of them. It's funny. With no one to argue with, most people lighting fires tend to let them blow out.

Finally, you can't change a person's mind with a sledgehammer. Every time you think you post some crushingly logical point, do you expect them to just cave in and admit defeat? Some people, in the heat of an argument, will only fight harder. If they were reasonable people, they wouldn't be getting into trouble in the first place, so why blindly plod on with no hope of succeeding?

Understand that's I'm not singling anyone out here. There have been too many problems in the past day to talk about them all here and now. It just seems that if people learned to leave to discipline to me, they wouldn't soil their hands with a fool's blood or become fools themselves. Or waste time. Or waste space.

I have been active in discipline recently, so there is no reason to think a word to me would be ignored.

Gotta go before my wife kills me. We're LATE!! See what you people do to me?!? []

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Yes Sir. Sorry Sir.

And thanks, Tuor. I'll try not to be so oogie in the future.

[ 10-12-2002, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Mad Uncle Rupert ]

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1770

posted      Profile for Leire   Email Leire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, back to the topic out of hand, is there anything else to the ideal citizen? Certainly we have not exhausted all the possible venues for such an important issue. Let the rest of us know if any of you have an epiphany!

[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
With one wing broken and flapping like a kite and his blood issuing from many wounds Heartless the dragon took to the sky. He made it out to sea, nearly all the way to the last Elven ship, and as he crashed into the sea Heartless roared; “Take care . . . of Wretched, the last broodling, for me . . .” With a great crash Heartless gave up, and plummeted into the sea. A great steam arose where he had fallen, and the last Elven ship sailed safely into the mist.

Erth Relm, Part II

From: MO | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread started off well...
From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

And ended in peace. What else can you ask for?
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A steak sandwich? Bloody and marinated in Edradure whiskey, garnished with cherry tomatoes and rocket salad, coated with fresh parmesan cheese, fresh basil and rosmary, and squashed within grilled ciabata bread, and of course accompanied by a fine Chilliean red?

[ 10-16-2002, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Mmmm! Good choice!
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For me, I am thinking of a couple of St Louis Bread Co. Bagles and a cherry strudel. But first, a hot shower after that sleepless camp out in sub 0 C weather.

Nope, Leire, we've exhausted the idea citizen.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I guess I have more patience than you guys. []

It's only been a few days since this thread was really active. I've been too busy and a bit mentally drained to tackle new thoughts about this subject.

Sometimes someone comes out of the blue with a new thought anyway.

It's no crime to mull things over. I'll definitely turn these ideas into some change in policy here.

Besides, it's nice to know that if I'm not driving certain discussions, they don't go anywhere. It's nice to feel needed. []

Amarth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2333

posted      Profile for Amarth   Email Amarth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this actually belongs here or not.

Would it be better or even possible if we had a 'Welcoming Room/Thread/Inn' for all newbies.
So that instead of making their own threads, they all go to this one thread to welcome each other in the society.

Does that sound dumb by any chance?

~ Amarth

From: West Ando | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Well, the Floating Log is a whole forum dedicated to new citizens. As for the thread idea, doesn't The Newbie Chocolate House fit into your description?
Amarth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2333

posted      Profile for Amarth   Email Amarth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, not really. The New bie Chocolate House is just a hang out. I mean a place where only newbies are allowed. Everyone goes to the CH, its not a place just for newbs, and if you have noticed there aren't anymore newbies in there either.
Having something like the thread that I described above your post would give the newbies a place all their own that they leave at a certain stage.
A place where they can organise themselves and talk about what they think of MT.
The CH doesn't do that anymore.
It's mostly oldbies that go there.

~ Amarth

From: West Ando | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help