Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen (Page 3)
Author Topic: Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Surely not, Mandin? Please, not.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but when beasts come flying out of Lugbúrz at my head, I duck.

My suggestions were turned down by the Boss, that's what happened. I gave it my best shot, and it came to naught, so I let it drop. I've learned to pick my battles over the years, and I know when one is impossible.

If WGW were to ask me to do something, I would do it. The same goes for others. i don't want anyone to quit, but the simple fact is I can't do crap about it. There is something to be said about raging against the dying of the light, but sometimes the raging just makes things worse.

And I am a little pissed about somethign: since when is it wrong to make a Tolkien reference on this Board? Both you and Mandin complained about this. Aren't we supposed to do this?

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck are you leaving for, Mandin? If it's because I disagreed, I'll leave. You're better for the place.

If I offended you, I'm sorry.

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, MUR, you mustn't go either.

Glory, men!!!!!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Woah MUR, I cannot believe you just offered to leave instead of me. [] . I don't know how I would live with myself if I left a place because one of my friends disagreed with me.

But come, come, where was the eyeball in my post? I haven't posted without that for months. I don't know if I could say anything serious without my eyeball. I'll go delete the post now.

As for the Tolkien reference, I did not really complain about it, but if you want me to be completely honest, I felt it was inappropriate considering the situation. I mean, begging your forgiveness, you're no Maia, and besides that, kicking people off Minas Tirith is disablnig them from an Internet site, not decapitating them.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He's not leaving, MUR, he's gotten a little zany that's all. []

I'm not opposed to quoting Tolkien or any great author or learning from those sayings, but let's not leave with ambitiously glorious ideals, when we need to chart out some basic simple reasoning. What I'm saying, if you remember our discussion on the path of inaction, is that though arguably it is the highest path, we are not ready for it. One must renounce when one is truly ready to renounce. Maybe a little out of context but that's what I feel about this.

When we have ideal citizens, then an ideal leader will simply not have to anything more than pay his bills.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Well, that's good Mandin, because I love this place and I'd truly miss it. I'd leave before any of my friends if I was the cause.

As for my quote, I meant it. Maybe you don't remember, but I was quite the reprobate when I arrived, but I feel I've turned that around. Had I been banned (though I don't know I warranted anything for banning), how would I have improved?

Some, not all, of these young ones may have that potential. If we ban them for just pissing us off, what do we lose?

That's why I preach tolerance. Because I was tolerated.

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I'm not here to suggest ways and means to chose and ban people. I'm saying that WGW should deserve the respect that he weilds. He is not getting it. I'd love to spend more time getting to know everyone and befriending them. Is that realistic?

We were here to discuss the ideal citizen. I started with a realistic one.

Of course we need to give people a chance. But we need a line, to start with. This line has not been drawn, and if it has its has been tread over so many times it's vanished.

If we give everyone a chance we risk losing the city to make it a reform center. Simply not the place for it.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

What I have asked for, and have since this debate started so long ago, was boundries. Where do we draw the line? And what do we do when it is crossed? How far do we go to enforce this will of the people?

Perhaps we need to spend less time decided what is Ideal, and just define what is tolerable.

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If we read WGW's first post, he feels that these ideals will help us, and I respect his wise words. These are ideals we cannot hope to cross but only tend to.

We need to define the other boundary below, one we should not cross, at any costs.

Then we have a sort of window, and while we make sure we try to go up, we always keep in mind we have to start from above the lower line.

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yet as long as we have people coming to this site who are not willing to be civil, sometimes action will still be necessary if the peace is to be kept.

Case in point:

Citizen # 2560's post 10-11-2002 11:10 PM

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I'm going to sit and wait to see exactly what happens in this particular case.

Fingolfin has been around here for nearly two years, contributes to so many literary threads and has to the best of my knowledge been civil.

This other person has been here a month and has as far as I can see contributed zilch to this community. The least she can do is be civil and respect others.

Bravo Tuor for posting this right here.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Yes, I agree that the entire conflict has gone on far too long. Certain behaviors are simply not acceptable under the Rule. The foulness that pervades the conversations is a definate violation.

However, it might also be said that the invasion of topics by the other party has fostered the conflict. The Inn situation (many of the individual ones, not the forums) may be becoming intolerable. Behavior is extreme in them as people feel that when they create an Inn they get to decide the Rules.

I avoid Inns like the plague. For the most part, they a senseless and abused. This does not mean that all are so, but the ones I have viewed contain many violations.

I personally have nothing against either side of this conflict. The profanity must stop, though.

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

So as long as the insulting comments do not include profanity, they are acceptable behavior from your point of view?
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Where did I say that? Exact quote.

Do you intend to twist my meanings here as well?

If both sides participate in the insults, then both are guilty. The profanity was the issue at hand.

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I personally have nothing against either side of this conflict. The profanity must stop, though.

I haven't been paying attention to the posts in the Inns either. Therefore I don't know about any other personal insults going back and forth. From your post, it sounded to me like you were not offended by the insult, just that it was profane.

I was not twisting your words, I was just asking for clarification. Did you notice the question marks in my post?

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Question marks do not cover such things from you, as you well know.

The statement you quote in no way condones insults, it merely states that I have no preferences for either side. It refers to Lugz' reference to Fingolfin. Clearly you haven't been reading this thread, either.

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Question marks do not cover such things from you, as you well know.

So when I post such things you automatically asume the worst, that I am in some way trying to make you look bad. Honestly I didn't.

Look at the context of your comment about 'profanity must stop'. It was in the context of a personal attack. You did not say that personal attacks were to be stopped. All you did was basically say, "he shouldn't have been there to begin with, he deserves what he got".

I'm sorry, but that is wrong. If we want to make Minas Tirith a place where people enjoy visiting, personal attacks must be unacceptable.

Go back and read your original post again. Nothing in it said that the personal attack was bad. You just commented on the profanity aspect of the post.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

So if I do not comment on the entirety of the event, I condone personal attacks? Wrong. I was simply focusing on the profanity.

As I said, DO NOT TWIST MY MEANING. In the last post, you did so again:

quote:
All you did was basically say, "he shouldn't have been there to begin with, he deserves what he got".
No. I refered to profanity alone. YOU state the rest by adding into my statement.

quote:
Yes, I agree that the entire conflict has gone on far too long. Certain behaviors are simply not acceptable under the Rule. The foulness that pervades the conversations is a definate violation.

Having to quote myself as you ignore half of what I say. This clearly states my dislike for the conflict in it's entirety. It specifically points out that the profanity is a violation, but does not approve of the insults. You ignored this. Perhaps you should try to read a little more carefully.

And yes, fourth time around I assume the worst from you. And you well know why.

Raven
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1284

posted      Profile for Raven   Email Raven   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I shouldn't be here because I know that I have broken some rules in the City and have caused some idoitic things and such but I am really, really, really getting sick of seeing that nearly wherever I post(mostly in the movie forum) that either Gullom or Saurman(and sometimes Neff and Pesky) post something insultive after me for no apparent reason.

I really want this to stop-it's not to reasuring to be attacked whereever I look in a place I love so much.

From: Garden State | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

You have every right to complain, Malg. If you feel you have been insulted in these cases, bring it to the Steward. I'm sure if he gets enough, it will be ended.
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Then at least stay out of the threads I start.

I stand by my observation.

Fingy posted to a thread that Saruman started. You said:
quote:
However, it might also be said that the invasion of topics by the other party has fostered the conflict.
In other words, this is all started by Fingy.
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Quit playing the wounded soul. It is really getting old.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

You didn't start this thread.

And I said it might be said. Fingy didn't start it, but he also does nothing to avoid it.

And stop doing it, and I won't be the wounded soul.

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I was talking about my thread in the Silmarillion forum. I'll ask follow up questions when there is unavoidable dialog like the one we're in now.
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Ideal Minas Tirith Citizen (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help