Minas Tirith Forums
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  63  64  65 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Recent Disciplinary Action (Page 3)
Author Topic: Recent Disciplinary Action
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Usually I would stay out of such debates when they don't apply directly to me but since my name has come up a few times I feel I should address some aspects of this discussion.

My Mad Uncle,

I am deeply appreciative of your advice and forwarning of loosing the respect of certain citizens. But, let me say, such as in real life, my respect is earned, not freely given. If one acts the fool, they shall be treated like one accordingly. But do not think me harsh, there is a difference between foolishness and mere joking around, I, as well as most of other citizens, realize this. But as for those that do not, then they will hear about my discomfort, for I am also a part of the community and I will speak out when I feel my home is being disrespected. How does a civilization handle such problems in real life? I believe the same should be applied to an internet community, through open discussion. The members I have voiced my worries about need to learn, and earn, respect of this board. My view point, I stand by it, regardless of what others may think.

I hope I have not come across as too harsh or rude in any way, I merely wish to clarrify my stand and my reasoning in speaking out. I thank you for listening.

Oro

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Oro.

The very foundation of this debate is this discomfort that many are feeling.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My Dear Nephew Oro,

I hear and understand your words, and stand corrected by them. You are right in saying that such things should be brought into the open. True, I often take a different tack, but that, of course, does not make yours incorrect.

I suppose it really comes down to the fact that each situation must be approached differently, as they involve different people. While some might be put back on track with gentle guidance, or driven forth by passive resistance, some must just be purged.

Maybe I have in my desire for liberality become too lenient. There is an old saying that it takes a well-placed two-by-four to train a Labrador Retriever. Maybe the same is true for some people.

Rupert

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is only because of you, MUR, that we are having more people participating here. If I may say so, your entry here may have sparked a debate in the community. Thank you.

It may be time for WGW to step into this debate, in one of the many threads.

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lugz, I appreciate that!
From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lhunithiliel
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very aptly put, Kullervo:
Lhunithiliel

[ 08-15-2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Citizen #2439 and #2456 for being the same person and using two different board names (Arewen and GandalfThyGold). She caused a lot of trouble and restarted a closed thread. Enough, I think.
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I PMed WGW about that Belegurth, but this'll do too []
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW, I think an IP ban or something is needed regarding arewen222...
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Is it possible to have an IP banned? This is getting ridiculous.
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*agrees wholeheartedly with the guys*

But until WGW gets here, let's sort her out.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God, some one else who wants to just "sort her out."

An yes, IP banning is exactly what we need.

[ 08-17-2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How are we supposed to "sort her out"...?
Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Mighty Musnud, I think so, but if she doesn't have a static IP, you have to ban the whole IP block of the ISP.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The Legendarium Project

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

Not sure actually. [] I was hoping SSA meant: Ignore her completely, and do not respond to anything she says.
If everyone does this, her threads will sink to the bottom of the forums, and not bother us anymore.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, something drastic needs to be done. She posted, and then deleted this:

quote:
im haven the time of my life!!!!you old farty teacher!!!!!!!!!!!
addressed to Musnud.

I agree that if we ignore her, she may go away, but she certainly seems to be enjoying herself flooding the board.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that. How incredibly childish. I've chosen to stop responding to her. I'm sure that she'll continue flooding to some degree. But, of course, she is just trying to draw some negative attention. I, for one, refuse to give it to her.
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I'm very sorry Musnud, I didn't intend to reinforce the post; but as she then deleted it I thought WGW should see a sample of her activity.

I have most of the 'gossipe' thread saved to disk, in case anyone needs it.

Estella Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1819

posted      Profile for Estella Brandybuck   Email Estella Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have another example which has now been deleted.

In the "gossipe" thread, I pointed out a spelling mistake to her and I got a reply along the lines of -
quote:
like i give a shit!!!!!
It is a shame it was deleted before I could post it here.
From: The Shire | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isiltári
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2385

posted      Profile for Isiltári   Author's Homepage   Email Isiltári   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is swearing allowed on the boards if it's in context and not directed at another citizen?
From: Mirkwood | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Isiltári: Whether it is or not, it is not really appropriate; there are some very young members here, and it is not setting a good example.
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
FYI (and a caveat?) - Arewen is also registered as GandalfTheGold and Gandalf The Gold as well as GandalfThy Gold.
From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

quote:
I'm very sorry Musnud, I didn't intend to reinforce the post
Oh, no worries, SSA. I could care less what a disrespectful 16-yr-old delinquent posts about me. To tell the truth, I actually started to snicker when I read that (I never realized that 25 was considered old and 'farty' [] ).
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'd love a copy of the gossipe thread, SSA! []
I was laughing so hard without knowing why...

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Recent Disciplinary Action (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  63  64  65 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Open Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help