Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Here's your suggestion box, so stuff it! (Page 34)
Author Topic: Here's your suggestion box, so stuff it!
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW: I might have requested this back in the day, so pardon the repeat.....

Would it be possible to make this thread (PM Post Office sticky?

I'd forgotten which section it was in and for some reason a search for 'PM' returned nothing.

Many thanks in advance.

e: And thanks in hindsight! [] []

[ 11-13-2007, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can we get a digg-down button like digg.com so we can bury threads we don't like? []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Could you please move this thread out of The Hobbit and into The Silmarillion Forum?

Was Eöl cursed by Morgoth in ancient days?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mordor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6501
posted      Profile for Mordor   Email Mordor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
what would be cool is a forum on the Childern of Hurin
From: Mount Airy MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If there was an abundance of threads about it already I would agree with you, but people don't seem to be talking about it much...
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mordor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6501
posted      Profile for Mordor   Email Mordor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
you got to wonder why
From: Mount Airy MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mordor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6501
i think that there should be more rankings (this post makes me guard of the Citadel)
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think some citizens should know the edit function.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How sad that no one hypes the Gentleman's thread in the Floating Log anymore. Anyhow, it seems like most new citizens are sock puppets nowadays...
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi WGW,

Just wondered if there'd ever been a suggestion for a Minor Works forum? At the moment, such discussion is limited to the Reference Material forum, which seems a little odd. If a new forum is tricky to do, then maybe just a slight re-labelling of the Reference Material would do fine too.

Incidentally, I think it's brilliant that this site is still going, and many thanks to you for all your hard work.

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How sad that no one hypes the Gentleman's thread in the Floating Log anymore. Anyhow, it seems like most new citizens are sock puppets nowadays...
... or sock-puppets of sock-puppets...
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about a 'Tolkien Free' forum so that people like Dread Pirate can discuss Middle-earth without worrying about people quoting letters and ruining their fun.

The 'Tolkien Free' forum would be a place where people can discuss Middle-earth without concern of Tolkien's thoughts on the matter. That way there will be no doubt of the kind of discussion the person wants to have. This way people won't be confused and think that they are actually looking for an answer to their question.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds neat....Reader Response Girl likes the idea.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great because not everyone wants the usual letter quote. Some like to discuss the books as a work of fantasy and what it brings to the surface as a reader. The 'Tolkien said this about that in letter # whatever' wouldn't have to be the answer to everything. [] []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about a 'Tolkien Free' forum
Or how about naming it something like a 'Middle-earth Speculations' forum?
That would be describing well what we would like to do in it - to treat Middle-earth as an existing world, with Tolkien only as one of its researchers.

I for one would probably posting both in that forum - especially for exploring possibilities for Role Plays (which are a kind of fan-fiction) - and in the fora where we research Tolkien's process of creating his world.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that thought Tuor was speaking strictly tongue-in-cheek?

If he is serious, I would have to toss my [] in.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Since it's a great idea, I hope it was an intentional great idea and not a jokey great idea, hehe. But I like Varnafindë's title suggestion better.

[ 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only one that thought Tuor was speaking strictly tongue-in-cheek?

If he is serious, I would have to toss my [] in.

I thought he was being tongue-in-cheek as well...

And actually, I really don't like the idea either, if it was serious. [] While I agree with Varna that it's fun to discuss speculative ideas for RP and the like, if it's purely speculation, shouldn't that be in the RP forum? There's plenty of room to do that in the Word Aside thread. I love RP and creative use of Tolkien's ideas - I'm the thread master of a huge number of RP threads, after all - but I don't think that we need any kind of forum to support this.

Ney - how is this a good idea? Sorry, but I'm with Thorin and Tuor here (if Tuor is, indeed, tongue-in-cheek).

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I was serious. I think it is a great way of distinguishing the kind of discussion one would like to have. There is nothing wrong with either kind of discussion.

Anyone who happens to be reading a thread will know by the forum it is in the kind of discussion taking place. This will keep people from whining about "you are destroying conversations by quoting letters and the book". Yet it will also make it clear that the topic is in no way an actual 'this is what Tolkien meant' kind of thread.

It seems to me that some like to think that they understand what Tolkien was trying to get at, but really hate it when someone posts a comment by Tolkien that proves them wrong. This idea would take care of people like this too.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was serious. I think it is a great way of distinguishing the kind of discussion one would like to have. There is nothing wrong with either kind of discussion.
No, there is nothing wrong with either type of discussion, but I don't think we need a new thread for it. When I want to speculate on non-literary topics, I do it in a RP or in the RP forum. And I see no reason why it needs its own forum - especially in the Lits. I see no reason to encourage people into thinking that kind of discussion is actually "literary." It isn't. It's creative, and there's nothing wrong with it - but creativity belongs in the Green Dragon.

quote:
Anyone who happens to be reading a thread will know by the forum it is in the kind of discussion taking place. This will keep people from whining about "you are destroying conversations by quoting letters and the book". Yet it will also make it clear that the topic is in no way an actual 'this is what Tolkien meant' kind of thread.
They should know this anyway. That's why they're called the Literary Forums.

quote:
It seems to me that some like to think that they understand what Tolkien was trying to get at, but really hate it when someone posts a comment by Tolkien that proves them wrong. This idea would take care of people like this too.
Read above. And I think some of the reason people react badly is that not everyone is the nicest when they post things that prove other people wrong. Not everyone has access to everything Tolkien wrote, and there's nothing wrong with speculating with the material you have access to. If they're wrong, of course, they're wrong, but perhaps some people should be more gentle about telling them so. []
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

A literary discussion does not equal a scholarly discussion. Some people believe that what the author believed or intended doesn't matter at all. It only matters what the reader believes.

What is wrong with having a forum that makes a clear distinction between the two kinds of discussions?

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

We do. It's called The Green Dragon.
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

The green dragon is for RP. I'm not a big RP guy, but from what I understand RP basically means writing stories. There is a difference between writing stories and discussing one's personal view of Middle-earth.
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Yes, RP is about writing stories, but for me, at least, it's also about examining the Tolkien legendarium. My RP's are close to canon, but also incorporate my ideas of how Tolkien's characters are, and how their world operates.

And the Word Aside threads contain a good deal of discussion on just the thing that you're talking about.

When I want to examine an idea of Tolkien's without engaging in scholarly discussion involving quotes from the texts, I start a RP. When I want to explore Tolkien's world in the same manner, I start a RP.

To be honest, I don't understand the idea of wanting to look at Tolkien's world without wanting to know what Tolkien thought about it. Tolkien's word has to come first and foremost in any discussion of a world he created, just like inside the legendarium, Eru's word is paramount.

*shrug*

I just don't get why we should have this type of discussion.

Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Here's your suggestion box, so stuff it! (Page 34)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help