Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  34  35  36 
Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Here's your suggestion box, so stuff it! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Here's your suggestion box, so stuff it!
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Someone requested a thread be created in Site Announcements where we could all throw around our suggestions.

And here it is.

Please feel free to post your thoughts for improving Minas Tirith here.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the flood block thing, just shortening it to 15 seconds or so would prevent spam attacks.
Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I find the pictures that have been posted a little annoying. These pics are on dozens of other sites if people want to look at them so why clutter up your server with them? Maybe you could move them somewhere else, provide a link with a HUGE disclaimer 'GRAPHICS INTENSIVE'? Or just have people post the links to the pics instead of the pic itself?

------------------
Frodo Lives!

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i agree that there should be less time in flood control and that there should be more mods.

This message has been edited by Gandalf The White on 04-17-2001 at

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wight Dwarf Star
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 418
posted      Profile for Wight Dwarf Star   Author's Homepage   Email Wight Dwarf Star   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i think that below our names we should be able to have pictures i know otehr forums have been doing this. i also 100% agree with the flood block being shorter and there should be more mods.

------------------
"Oh were oh were did my little dog go oh were oh were could he be?"

This message has been edited by Wight Dwarf Star on 04-17-2001 at

From: The Island B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elassar, most pictures posted here are deep-linked to the picture itself. Linking to the site where the pics are placed will cause people to leave MT, something we don't want do we? Btw, nobody is obliged to look at these threads! Most of the times, it's rather clear wher one can expect pics. If one's computer is not strong enough for this amount of pictures, one just doesn't visit these threads.
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose Gamgee - home again
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 404
posted      Profile for Rose Gamgee - home again   Email Rose Gamgee - home again   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do think that it would be easier for WGW to run the site with more moderators. However, wouldn't disabling flood control or making it shorter make Minas Tirith really slow or mess up his server? If lots of people are posting more than once a minute, it can make loading parts of Minas Tirith slow. I have no new suggestions as of yet (this place is so great!), but if I think of one, I'll post it!

------------------
Tolkien's the best, what can I say?

From: USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
No, I don't think that would affect the speed of anything. The flood control is pretty much just to prevent spam attacks.
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, you don't have to leave a site to view another and it's got nothing to do with my computer. I'm sitting on a T1 almost by myself running a gigahertz Gateway If WGW has plenty of h/d space to waste then leave the pictures - I was trying to help him.

------------------
Frodo Lives!

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
All the pictures aren't actually hosted on Minas Tirith, we link to them on another site.

This message has been edited by Caranthir on 04-18-2001 at

Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
We are bandwidth thieves.
Roll of Honor KingRichard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 26

posted      Profile for KingRichard   Email KingRichard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
EVERYONE - You should also use this forum for Bug Reports.

One small suggestion that I had was in the "Today's Active Topics" section. If there are more than a certain amount and you hit "Next Topics", when you get to that screen there is no "Previous Topics" button as their logically should be. You have to hit your Back button.

Also, now that I think of it, instead of (or maybe in addition to) the "Today's Active Topics" link you should have a "All active topics since your last visit" link, which would be an easier way to browse through all the new messages since your last visit. This would help avoid the "bug" of having the "New Posts Since Last Visit" lanterns reset after going back to the main page after visiting a particular forum.

(And yes, I did set my browser to only reload the page once per session, but it still doesn't work) Anyone else have this problem?

Just thinkin'
KingRichard

From: U.S.A. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if this is gonna be hard to do, but could there be a GMT timeclock as well?
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wight Dwarf Star
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 418
posted      Profile for Wight Dwarf Star   Author's Homepage   Email Wight Dwarf Star   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
this mught be to much work but so that theres not comption with whos the hights but after some one get 1000 they start back at 0 and have to go up again.
From: The Island B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
no one really cares anymore who has more posts, or they shouldnt... i dont think it should be neccessary to reset post counts. if you see that people are making a huge deal about it then maybe it is needed.
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 26

posted      Profile for KingRichard   Email KingRichard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is just persnick, but can you change the URL of the forums to something more appealing than - http://www.minastirith.com/cgi/Ultimate.cgi

How about just http://www.minastirith.com/forums

This would be a good change to make early on before the Minas Tirith empire expands.

Also on the main forum pages, it says "Minas Tirith Forum" in red on the RHS. Shouldn't this be forums, not forum? And isn't it a little redundant anyway? How about replacing that text with a graphic or something. How about a nice white tower or soemthing?

All Hail,
KingRichard

From: U.S.A. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, about the link. That's why I have the main page bookmarked.
http://www.MinasTirith.com

I am considering some sort of redirect to solve the problem of hitting the back button and resetting your lanterns. This would involve the initial link setting the cookie and automatically reloading the page without setting the cookie. This would mean you could hit the Back button instead of the white folders at the top of the pages, and your lanterns would stay the same.

I'm still thinking about this, but either way, you would have to link to the main page for it to work.

Just read the poem about Gondor everytime you login to get yourself into a Tolkien mood!

As far as the other suggestions...we'll see.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 26

Well, I do have the splash page bookmarked. But when you click on the graphic and enter the forums, it would still look neater to have a more simplified address instead of one with a cgi bin. Are you forced to name the cgi bin with that name?

Also, the optimum display of the URL is with the proper caps, since URL's aren't case sensitive anyway, it just looks better. (http://www.MinasTirith.com) The problem is, the server doesn't remember it typed that way and after you enter it, it reverts back to all lowercase. Anything you can do about this? Maybe it's a setting on your Web host server, maybe if you wrote to them they could adjust it.

Also, something I just noticed. Perhaps this is because I have my browser set to only refresh the page once per start (of IE) instead of once per visit (which was a suggested fix for the lantern reset problem) but for some reason I've only just noticed it - When I'm in a particular thread, if I've visited it earlier in the day and then come back, it won't have the new posts there until I refresh. So, this won't do.

Maybe after all this is settled you can put out a definitive "Recommended Configuration & Usage" FAQ that would give us the optimum settings and usage to best use Minas Tirith.

All Hail,
KingRichard

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

To call CGI scripts, you actually have to call them. Windows may have shortcuts to programs, but HTML doesn't.

And please give me an example of a site that has capital letters in its URL. I'd like to see it.

And I have my Internet Explorer set to refresh pages 'Automatically'. Seems to work for me. You just have to remember to use the white folders on the top of the page either all the time or just for the first time to go back to the main page. After that, you can use Back if you really have to and not lose your current lantern state.

You have to admit that worrying about everyone's browser settings and trying to get Minas Tirith to work perfectly for everyone is a Herculean task at best. I'm doing my part by using the most professional and stable message board on the market (IMHO). I can't worry about the cookies and browsing habits of hundreds of people.

Look, I used to not be able to control myself from using Back, but now I use the white folders provided at the top. It's an adjustment that makes using Minas Tirith much less troublesome. I can't invent foolproof perfection in a message board, so you have to compromise and use the tools I have provided.

Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

You tell 'em WGW Being a network administrator myself I can feel your pain! I get blamed for everything from broken links on other sites to the million and one faults with Windows. I think you're very brave for even opening this thread Keep up the good work!

------------------
Frodo Lives!

Wight Dwarf Star
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 418
if you are looking for a mod wgw i vote KingRichard. i know this is for bug reports but i just think he should be one.

This message has been edited by Wight Dwarf Star on 04-24-2001 at

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 26

Damn, right. Cause I am the most persnickity persnick that ever snicked a per.

Hey, dol merry dol!
Persnick-a snickity do!
Make me a moderator,
for the good of MT, do!

Hey dingle, dol dum de!
Rip-Rop Ribbity doo!
All day I long do I persnick,
Persnick-a snickity do!

Thanks.

All Hail,
KingRichard

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I would, but it doesn't sound like he would pass the drug test.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

LOL WGW, probably not, or the singing test!
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How about opening Rivendell (in the meeting halls section) for elf fans?Think about it.
From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Create a New Poll  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Minas Tirith Site Announcements » Here's your suggestion box, so stuff it! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  34  35  36 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help