Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » For Sale: 1977 Edition The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition by Rankin/Bass
Author Topic: For Sale: 1977 Edition The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition by Rankin/Bass
NeedlefulThings
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11223
posted      Profile for NeedlefulThings   Author's Homepage   Email NeedlefulThings   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A treasure for the middle earth lover.

This is the 1977 edition of The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition by Rankin and Bass. Illustrations are beautifully done and a very nice accompaniment to this wonderful story.

Includes original clear jacket which features an illustration of Smaug on the front and back.

This collector's book is in very good condition. Due to age, there is slight wear/scratches on the clear jacket and edges of the book. Binding appears to be in tact, there are no loose pages. Pages and fold out pictures are not folded or ripped.

Click here to view

[ 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: NeedlefulThings ]

From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam eggs and Spam.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How could this be a "first edition" when the second edition came out some quarter-century earlier?

If this is the book that was issued with the cartoon, it is a third edition.

Edit: Pi:
quote:
Bag End Auctions
Buy, sell, or talk about your Tolkien treasures or mathoms here.

Emphasis mine. This is one of the things this forum is for. []

[ 04-29-2009, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know T. However, this citizen just joined, and it was his/her first post. And besides, any time I can use a MP line, I'm hitting it!
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeedlefulThings
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11223
posted      Profile for NeedlefulThings   Author's Homepage   Email NeedlefulThings   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it is a 1st Edition of the illustrated edition by Rankin/Bass, as there are 1st editions of various other collections, regardless of whether it was the first book ever printed. Look it up if you are interested in doing so. As to being spam, I was granted permission to have an account from the administrator of this site for the sole purpose of listing this book. Thank you.
From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
pi just has a very personal way of saying "Welcome !" []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Indeed! Mae Govannen.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
quote:
Look it up if you are interested in doing so.
I did look it up. That's how I knew it was a third edition.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
quote:
FIRST EDITION - The term ‘first edition’ should always mean the first appearance of a text in print. Used without qualification, it also implies the first impression of the first edition (where there was more than one) and (where relevant) the first issue of that impression. Any qualification as to later issue or impression means that while the book still forms a genuine part of the first edition (and may have intrinsic interest of its own), it is not in the guise in which it made absolutely its first appearance on the market. The expression ‘first edition in book form’ implies that the work originally appeared in a separately-titled periodical: it is generally considered allowable to refer to a first appearance in book form simply as the ‘first edition’ where no confusion may arise, although this usage is discouraged where the work originally appeared in instalments under its own title. Other qualifications such as 'first trade edition', 'first separate edition’, ‘first published edition’, or the like, generally mean that the book is not the first appearance of the text in print, but its first appearance in some distinct or more generally available form.
Source: Antiquarian Booksellers Association

No offense, and I'm sure it is a very nice book, but don't think you should advertise it as a "1st Edition" when it patently is not according industry definitions. A novice collector could be misled.

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos for the Stephen King screen name. I should read that book...

[ 04-30-2009, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeedlefulThings
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11223
It clearly states the collection it is from and the year. I highly doubt anyone will be confused; however, I would gladly answer any serious questions one might have regarding the book. Good day.
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Well, I was confused. Based upon your statement I thought that through some quirk in publishing history the first edition was reprinted in an illustrated format long after it had been revised. If that was the case it would have been a very valuable book. However, that is not the case.

It's still a nice book, but at least everyone now knows that it is the third edition.

(By the way: for those that are interested Fingy summed up the publishing history of The Hobbit quite nicely in this post.)

[ 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
NeedlefulThings:
quote:
It clearly states the collection it is from and the year. I highly doubt anyone will be confused; however, I would gladly answer any serious questions one might have regarding the book. Good day.
It is, I think, adviseable to appreciate that Book Collectors do take abuse of the term "First Edition" quite serious. In the case of Tolkien's works one should also note that there are considerable differences in the actual text between (at least) the first, second and third editions of The Hobbit and between the first and second editions of The Lord of the Rings.

As Thorin has pointed out, that also has quite an impact on the value of the book. Mislabeling these editions will always be taken as confusing, whether there was any intent to mislead or not.

Appearing to be needled when this is pointed out, insisting that no real mislabeling has taken place or implying that reactions pointing out the mislabeling are not serious is not going to impress serious collectors or traders. Some of them will by now have marked you down as not to be taken serious, precisely because of this.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

quote:
Appearing to be needled...
*snicker*
Mith By the way, I've meant to tell you, I like your sig! []

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Pi!
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the joys of Minas Tirith.

The erudite comments of Thorin & Co. are, I think, right on the mark, if a bit hoity-toity. Pedantry, particularly when it comes to collectibles, the value of things, and old books certainly has its place. But they say you catch more flies with honey, and calling a pack of giant spiders a bunch of Attercops only works when you have a magic ring. I have a feeling if one bites less people’s heads off, one will find that teachable moments not only allow one to teach, but end up with another person actually learning something.

[] [edit: no no no, the wink is supposed to go down here and my eyeball up on top.]

[ 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Another oldie returns to post. []
Hey Mandin, maybe you could stop in and say hi in the UP if you want. We were discussing old timers leaving.

NeedlefulThings
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11223
I stand corrected, the website referenced was very helpful. I have adjusted the title, post, and listing to reflect the correction. Thank you. The majority of the other listings for this book online listed it as a 1st edition. It was my understanding that 1st edition reflected the first time in that form (with the illustrations, etc), not the text as a whole itself.
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Much appreciated, to be sure!

And (cf. Mandin) I try not to be hoity-toity, but I've picked up too much Oxford-professor English, I'm afraid. It doesn't help if you hear me speak, I sound like it as well. []

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mithrennaith, I know what you mean. The posts of above weren't really too bad. "Learners" are often over sensitive; and teachers are often too pushy. But the good news: apparently NeedlefulThings was willing to learn/change. Edit: why'd you use the cf. abbreviation above?

pi, I've been dropping in recently on various forums and topics, and maybe I'll post up there sometime instead of just reading a few minutes here, a few minutes there.

[ 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Mandin ]

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

quote:
I try not to be hoity-toity, but I've picked up too much Oxford-professor English, I'm afraid. It doesn't help if you hear me speak, I sound like it as well.
[pathetic cockney accent] blimey, guvnuh! [/pathetic cockney accent]

Oh and btw, "hoity-toity" is hand-in-hand with a proper British accent. []

On another note, does anyone else think its funny how accents sound cuter when they are from someone of the opposite sex? Or is it just petit moi?

Speaking of French, is it true you call an orgasm the little death, le petit morte, or however you spell it? []

Talk about free association. []

NeedlefulThings
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11223
Price lowered to $250 with free shipping.

Click to view

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » For Sale: 1977 Edition The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition by Rankin/Bass
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help