Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » Children of Hurin to Benefit Minas Tirith (Page 1)
Author Topic: Children of Hurin to Benefit Minas Tirith
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For Sale: The Children of Hurin

Time Limit: Until 12:00am Sunday 29 July 2007 (server time)

For Benefit of: Minas Tirith

We are having our very own charity auction for the benefit of Minas Tirith! The winning bidder will receive a brand new copy of The Children of Hurin, one of the three “Great Tales” by J.R.R. Tolkien. Not only will the winning bidder receive this great book, he or she will be pleased to know that 100% of the bid is a donation to this web site that we all enjoy so much.

After the end of this upcoming week, the winning bidder can send his or her donation via Paypal, postal money order, or cash in US currency to White Gold Wielder. Then I will mail this excellent book to the winner. (Alternately, if someone is shy of giving me his or her name and address, WGW will mail the book.)

If you haven’t had a chance to purchase The Children of Hurin yet, here is your opportunity to get the first new book by J.R.R. Tolkien in thirty years as well as to support our favourite forum!

-

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice idea Master Dwarf [] []

I'll start at $20 []
Yeah, I'm a cheapskate! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
[]
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
By the way, The Children of Hurin is still on the NY Times Best Seller list after 13 weeks.
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer; I'm bidding in US Dollars and NOT Hong Kong Dollars. At todays exchange rate HK$20 = US$2.55! []

[ 07-23-2007, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Yeah, but US$20 is only about £10!
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Well I did tell you I was a cheapskate! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I bid US$22 []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Woohoo!
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

US$30 []

E: And it better be a hardback edition, mister! []

[ 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
It most certainly is a hardback! I don't think that the paperback is out yet - I don't know why they would put it out so quickly while the hardback is still on the best seller lists.

And I had a bibliophile ask me what printing this was. I believe it is from the 4th (although I'm not sure how to read it all). My personal copy has a "I" in it under the publisher's information, but this particular book has a "4".

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see your 30, and raise you 5.

$35

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Excellent! Thanks, Tuor!
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I laugh in the face of your $35 Tuor and raise my bid to US$40, HA! HA! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
[] []

I think I've used more smilies in this thread than is my usual custom. Perhaps I should go back to the old standby. []

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I'm glad you are enjoying this Thorin. []

Well Pete, I guess I'll just have to raise it to $50. []

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Of course I'm enjoying it. 1) This book I didn't need (since I already had a copy) will find a good home, 2) people still want to read Tolkien, and 3) people will participate in such an auction to benefit MT.

Win-win all around!

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

The book could have served a purpose. You could read it while preserving the First Edition as an investment. []

Common on Pete, where are you? []

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Where am I? I'm counting the pennies in my piggie bank to see if I can better your bid, old boy! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

I found 5 bucks in the sock drawer.
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I'm still counting but I've got together another $2 []
So now my bid is $52! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've got five Iraqi dinars with a picture of The Bad Man on it.
[]
You can have that - it's a collectors' item now, you know.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I havent given much in my near 4-year association with this website. So I raise the stakes to $60. (That is 2500 Rupees!!!)
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Fangorn,

I guess moving to California is paying off. But then you could be putting the money into the PCT upgrade. []

$65

[ 07-27-2007, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
You guys rock.

[] Reminder []

We have less than a day to go.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » Children of Hurin to Benefit Minas Tirith (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help