Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » 1st edition Silmarillion paperback?
Author Topic: 1st edition Silmarillion paperback?
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I found this paperback version of the silmarillion in a used-book-store. Can anyone tell me if it is a first edition? I have no idea how to look for that...

-

-

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Probably. Not that most paperback first editions have a lot of value. But if it had been published later on, there would likely be additional dates and or printings listed.

You might actually check the Unwin web site.

And the first edition in hardback is available for about $100.

[ 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Marcho Blackwood - MSS ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Has a First Edition hardback* []

And the dust cover is in good nick []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Check this out, Lasse. It looks like it is the first paperback edition.

quote:
The original British publisher, Allen & Unwin, printed 3 editions in addition to the first edition (both export and domestic runs).

March 1979, Unwin Paperbacks
448 pp., 224 leaves, wove paper bound in wove wrappers, blue cover and spine with red, white, and black lettering. All edges neatly cut and unstained. Later published by HarperCollins.

September 15, 1982, George Allen & Unwin
pp. 1-3, 4-368, 1 map plate, 184 leaves, wove paper bound in dark leather with red slipcover. This edition was published as a "limited edition," with 100 copies being signed by the author and 900 being unsigned. Exact sales figures are not known.

February 21, 1983, Unwin Paperbacks
448 pp., 224 leaves, same appearance as 3/79 paperback edition except for black background and lettering colors rearranged.

http://www3.isrl.uiuc.edu/~unsworth/courses/bestsellers/search.cgi?title=The+Silmarillion
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I'll go buy it tomorrow.
From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And sell it to me at a cheaper price.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Has a First Edition hardback*
I could have had one of those - but I wasn't interested []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the first edition in hardback is available for about $100
Really? I got a 1st Edition Silmarillion the day it was released. We had a Silmarillion line party waiting for the bookstore to open!

You have to understand that it was the first new Middle Earth info in 22 years.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
$100! []
I suggest you get on over to E-bay UK; one there is going for £25 ($45) and you still have one day left to bid []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a first edition hardcover Silmarillion. Unfortunately, the dust jacket is MIA, and besides, I'd have to be in dire straits indeed, to be convinced to part with the book.

I'll leave it to Thingol in my will (which is going to be a very short and non-controversial document). []

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

*sends Serbian hit-men to Texas*

[]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snöwdog posted:
quote:
You have to understand that it [The Silmarillion] was the first new Middle Earth info in 22 years.
What about The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (1962) and The Road Goes Ever On: A Song Cycle (1967)? []
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What about them? They didn't do much for me as far as the Middle Earth story goes, and that was the general consensus of most gathered at that line party.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3029
posted      Profile for Hyarion   Author's Homepage   Email Hyarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about them?
Halion was referring to your previous statement:

quote:
Hate to break it to you guys but you can find 1st edition hardbacks of The Silmarillion in great condition for around 10 dollars, perfect condition I suppose might cost you up to $20 but I wouldn't pay much more than that. A paperback in poor condition is going to run around 50 cents [] Although...those images seem to indicate top margins had yet to be invented so it may indeed be a rarity []
From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about them?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halion was referring to your previous statement:

quote:

I know that, and I said that The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and The Road Goes Ever On didn't do much for me as to expanding on the wonderful world presented in the Trilogy and its appencices. Silmarillion did. And I have no illusions on the worth of my well -worn hardback 1st ed Sil. It most likely isn't worth anything to anyone else but me.
Elwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3286
posted      Profile for Elwen   Email Elwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,
I have a first edition Silmarillion that I would be willing to part with...Its in good shape, it has been read/used so the dust jacket is a little scratched from being put on shelves etc, but its in good shape, map in the back is mint I would say. I recently picked up an illustrated Silmarillion thats really cool, and I dont really need two copies. Anyone interested? If so, shoot me an email at robingarretson@hotmail.com as I dont check the messages here very often. []

From: Rivendell | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » 1st edition Silmarillion paperback?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help