Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 7)
Author Topic: COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
May CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Here's your chance to walk down memory lane with a calendar that is today somewhat rarely seen. Happy May to all!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
June CotM

Posted the Calendar of the Month for June at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Chose to post this issue to honor the June birthday of Fangorn, a wonderful gentleman and giant in the Tolkien world.

Hope this finds all well and enjoying summer (even if it technically does not arrive for another two weeks!)

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
August Calendar of the Month

Hello to all -

Posted a WONDERFUL new Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This is a REALLY GOOD one!

Hope this finds all well.

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of reminds me of an alter Pepperland.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hi Pi -

Your comment is curious to me as I received a very similar one in another forum from another visitor. I will have Google some stills from Sgt Pepper and compare. Thanks for looking in and commenting!

Parm

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Parm - rather, look at the Beatles' Yellow Submarine movie.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
September CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

At the risk of spoiling the surprise, it is the 1986 Beyond Bree calendar. It is a rarely seen issue and only the second of their series. I featured this one in anticipation of the issue of their 2011 calendar which commemorates the 30th anniversary of Beyond Bree. Congratulations to Nancy Martsch and all who support this active society.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
October CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the October Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it (and can appreciate "the sacrifice" that I made to be able to post it for you!)

Parmastahir

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I’m an expert at Tolkien artwork by any means, but July's looks too close to the movies to be mere coincidence.

I know the films “honored” much Tolkien artwork by ripping scenes straight off the canvas, but which came first in this case?

I have no idea when these images were created, but none of the other images in the calendar look ANYTHING like the films, so it’s unlikely he took inspiration from Jackson. Could the movies have pinched their vision from Mr. Zhouf??

EDIT: Just to add to the mystery, I found this :

- Who inspired who inspired whom?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello WGW -

As this is a 2006 calendar and was issued in 2005, the FotR (2001), TTT (2002), and RotK (2003) all predate the calendar. That's not to say that Mr. Zhouf hadn't completed these works years earlier and was then inspired to issue this calendar by the movies. The text of the calendar is all in Czech which I can't read. So we'll have to wonder until someone volunteers to translate it for me!

By the way, where did you find the illustration that you posted? I assume that it's also one of Mr. Zhouf's works as the similarity is great.

Parm

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
2011 HI/NETS Calendar Now Available!

If you're looking for a Christmas gift for a Tolkien fan, please consider the 2011 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society Calendar available at:

http://herenistarionnets.blogspot.com/p/nets-calendar.html

The fourth in this series of calendars, it features another wonderful cover by Jef Murray, illustrations by Anke Eissmann and Sue Wookey, and a specially created centerfold by Catherine Sparsidis commemorating their 10th anniversary. Net proceeds benefit this official Tolkien Society smial. My daughter and I printed a rather limited edition: only 65 will be available!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
November CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the November Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It's a humorous (and rare) calendar from the fertile mind of Dan Smith. Enjoy!

Parmastahir

[ 11-06-2010, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like Gollum before you, take that step!
You won't live to regret it.

[]
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My 2010 HI/NETS calendar has arrived safely. []
And so has my 2011 one []

Very nice pictures - some of those will be among my favorite Anke pictures - and I love Sue's Gandalf! (While her Glaurung is - intentionally - creepy ...)

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
December CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the December Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a newly discovered rarity (only six were created.) Happy Holidays to everyone!

Parmastahir

p.s. - About half of the 2011 HI/NETS calendars have been sold. If you are contemplating an order or need a gift for the Tolkien fan on your list, please do so soon. When they're gone, they're gone!

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
January CotM

Hello to all!

Hope your holidays were wonderful.

Posted the January Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a classic (and relative rarity) from Beyond Bree. That group celebrates its 30th anniversary in April.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hi from the Great White North -

Updated the Calendar of the Month for February at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy this one.

Parm

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Special Calendar of the Month for March

The Calendar of the Month for March is the 2011 Beyond Bree issue. This one commemorates their 30th anniversary THIS MONTH! Congratulations to a vibrant group. Check it out at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Many different illustrators, lots of different takes on what the characters and scenes look like. Kudos to Lotho Sackville-Baggins who edited this one.

Parm

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ohai, Parmastahir

Just wanted to say "hey", since I realised a few weeks ago that I had sent you a letter ! I'm a member of Tolkiendil, a French Tolkien-based organization, and I am currently in charge of sending the goods we make to the buyers. So when you received your Tolkiendil calendar a few weeks ago, it had been me who mailed it ! [] []

That's it. []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hallo Inc' -

Hail and well met! I am very pleased to make your acquaintance (even if it's "only" virtual.) I love the Tolkiendil calendars. Not many societies can boast a calendar that is the product of their membership ... and it gives me a chance to refresh my French (which is barely passable now!) Thank you for sending them!

Happy Spring to you!

Parm

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
April Calendar of the Month

Hello to all -

Just posted the Calendar of the Month for April at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is special to me as I had the great opportunity to work with three very talented illustrators to create it. Hope you enjoy it. Happy Spring to all!

Parm

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
May Calendar of the Month

Hello to All -

Posted the May Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is the FIRST 2012 calendar to come out. Admittedly, it's early in the year for a 2012 calendar to appear.

WARNING: Spoiler Alert!

This calendar is the Jef Murray ALEP 2 Fantasy Calendar. Jef created it and proceeds benefit A Long Expected Party 2 that is being planned. And Jef will sign the calendar that you purchase. You can find ordering information on his website. My copy arrived today. It's very nice and comes in a printed mailing envelope (a nice touch.)

Happy May to everyone!

Parm

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
October CotM

Hello to all -

Well summer is over and I'm back in a calendar mood as the 2012 calendars are coming out. So I updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This month's featured calendar is one of a set of rare ones (not many created and extraordinarily hard to find.) Hope everyone's fall is going well!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
November CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for November at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Parm

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
January CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for January at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Not to spoil the surpise, but thought it appropriate to feature a calendar with illustrations done by JRRT himself as his birthday occurs in January.

Am back after an unexpected hiatus. Had BIG problems with my host/server and was worried for weeks that it had disappeared. But a colleague recovered it, switched hosts, and backed it all up for me. (Isn't it always whom you know rather than what?) For which, I could not be more grateful. It was a wonderful Christmas present!

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help