Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 6)
Author Topic: COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
NEW TOLKIEN CALENDAR WEBSITE!!!

I have not posted in a while. But I have been busy!

After talking about it for the longest time (almost a year and a half), I pushed my son to help me create my new website:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

He designed it when he was in college (fall of 2007.) I had registered the domain name before then. I found someone to host for it me, and got my son to map it to that server. He set up some templates, and I have been spending most of my free time over the last month transferring all of the content from the Angelfire site. I think it is now all there . . . and I have added some content. I am now creating pages with the monthly illustrations. I am using the photos that I shot for the many Calendar of the Month features. I have programmed four so far:

1969 Ken Rudolph

1986 Hobbit Presse

2002 Pocket

2003 Ronnie Sellers (postcard)

I have 23 more that I will create soon. You can access the monthly illustrations by clicking on the year/publisher (which is a green, underlined link for those entries.) Once I get all of those programmed, I will start creating new Calendar of the Month features. Those now appear on the homepage of the website. In this manner, I will someday get most (if not all) of the calendar illustrations documented.

The only thing I need him to add is a visit counter. Then I’ll abandon the Angelfire site. Actually, I think I’ll program a simple link that will take visitors to the new site.

Comments welcome!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
New Calendar of the Month

I posted a new CotM on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is an interesting calendar in that it is not supposed to exist!

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello to all -

It has been a while (OK, a long while.) But I have reinstituted the Calendar of the Month feature on my new website:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

The CotM for May is the 2009 Middle-earth New Zealand calendar. My intent is to post these for a month, then create a permanent page upon which to display them. The monthly illustrations from almost all of the previous CotM features can now be found throughout the many entries. Hope you enjoy this one.

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like your new site very much, Parmastahir!
It's more logical to navigate than the old one - and the new feature with all the months of each calendar (eventually) is great!

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
me too. you obviously put a lot of effort into it, and it shows.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Thank you both for looking in (and Varnafindë for past assistance!) and your comments. While I love my new website, your thoughts confirm that I'm on the right track. My effort was transferring all of the content from the old (Angelfire) site (which is now no more than a link to the new one.) As noted previously, my son designed it for me and a colleague at work is hosting it. There is SOOOOoooo much more space available. That is what gives me the chance to add all of the monthly calendar illustrations.

Happy May!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
June CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for June on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is probably appropriate given all of the talk about The Hobbit movie. Hope you enjoy it.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
July CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for July on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a VERY rare calendar, and one that is unique in my collection because of the format. Hope you enjoy it and comments welcome!

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rare indeed - you don't often see calendars with 54 or even 72 days of the month! []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Created a new Calendar of the Month for August on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a rather rare calendar (at least in its original envelope.) Hope you enjoy it and comments welcome!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Created a new Calendar of the Month for September on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you like this one!

Happy end of Summer to all.

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I liked those months that I could see - but not all the links are working.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... and it's Spring you Northern Hemispherian! []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
I'm still laughing as I type this. I'll try to be a bit less Nothern Hemisphere-centric in the future. Happy end of Winter to you!

And I fixed the four URLs (May/June/July/October) that were not working.

Away from The Green (soon to be variegated) Hill Country,

Parmastahir

[ 09-06-2009, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Although October is 2/3 done, you can still check out the October Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope this finds everyone doing well!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Novembre CotM and Other Calendars

Hello to all -

Updated the Calendar of the Month for Novembre (not a typo!) at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it. Also, added a page (which is very much under construction still) for the 2010 issues that have started coming out.

Also, my daughter and I will soon print the 2010 HI/NETS calendar (now the third in this series.) Malcolm will have some for the exhibition at ADC in March, and René will have some on his Tolkienwinkel site, too. And Beyond Bree (as members already know) will issue their first calendar since 1994 for 2010 (many thanks to Lotho Sackville-Baggins) and in color, too!

Parmastahir

[ 11-04-2009, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
December CotM

Hello to all -

Updated the December Calendar of the Month on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Beyond this feature, have started a 2010 page where you can find the new ones that are coming out. I LOVE this time of year! The Green Hill Country turns white, the 2010s start arriving, and the holidays are near at hand. Merry Christmas and a VERY Happy New Year to everyone!

Parm

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

My 2010 HI/NETS calendar has arrived safely. []
It's a very nice calendar - I'm particularly interested in the pictures by Henning Janssen, who made the picture I got my avatar from!

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hulloo V (if I may be so familiar!)

I am very happy to know that your calendar arrived safely. I worry about them when they're traveling. Thanks for posting. And I'm glad that you like the Henning J illos, and I'm MORE than pleased that he agreed to help us this year. I have collected his calendars over the years and communicated with him at whiles. He is very personable and his work speaks for itself!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from The Green Hill Country,

P

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Happy New Year to all!

Updated my website with many new 2010 calendars and put a new calendar in for the January Calendar of the Month.

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is a particular favorite as I have a soft spot for any illustrations of the Ents. The April piece has at least 14 in it!

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Parmastahir,
I think many of us have enjoyed your site over the years, and as I was looking today I again noticed that quite a few of your calendars are quite rare. Tell me if you would, how do you get your hands on them?

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hulloo Pi -

I have to say that collecting some of the rarities has been equal parts persistence, communication, and luck.

The persistence comes from my OCD about these calendars. I am so "into" collecting them, that I have created a website to put the information about these calendars out there for everyone with an interest to use. I search ebay virtually every day.

The communication relates to the number of people I know (most only virtually) around the world. I post here and on many other Tolkien messageboards (especially the Tolkien Collector's Guide.) It was there that I met Fangorn, and he began tutoring me on the calendars (in particular.) It was through Tolkien's Ring that I learned of their calendars and was able to collect their first issue (one of only three created) from one of their members (who I am grateful to to this day.) People that know of my passion have sent some rarities to me literally "out of the blue." As I have the support of many people around this rather small world that we call home, I try to return the favors and help others with their collections. This is probably the biggest factor in collecting rarities. As I noted on my website, adding a rarity oftentimes comes down to knowing someone who has a copy and is willing to part with it. (I know of copies of rare ones that I do not have. But the current owners are not willing to let them go.)

And a little luck is probably a good thing to have. I have been lucky to find a few here and there or have been contacted by people who offered me the first chance at collecting a rare one.

I don't think that my experience is any different from any other collector's. I'm not certain what I would do if I were able to find copies of the 28 calendars that I have not been able to collect yet. Most of the thrill is in the hunt!

Parmastahir

[ 01-16-2010, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
February CotM

Hello to All -

Posted a classic for the February Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

With the 2010 issues catalogued, there are now 320 calendars listed.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the winter (whether you're in the Northern or Southern hemisphere!)

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Posted another classic for the March Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Thanks for looking in!

Happy Spring to all!

Away from The (soon to be) Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
April CotM

Posted a new Calendar of the Month for April at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is a new (2010) issue. Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help