Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 3)
Author Topic: COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lyra -

You're looking at the detail and missing what is right in front of you! Check out what's wrong with my previous post then take a look at that illustration. I am certain you will come to the same conclusion that I did: it's not surprising that it was not accepted as a TOLKIEN calendar cover! []

Thanks!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, first thought was where does it say that Sauron had whiskers?
My first thought when I saw them was ‘Ah, Tevildo Prince of Cats [the remote forerunner of Sauron]’ but The Book of Lost Tales, Part One was first published in 1983...
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkein [] !?

[]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! One would expect that an illustrator could at least spell TOLKIEN correctly if (s)he were doing a Tolkien calendar cover! Makes me wonder if this is genuine. Thanks for playing along.

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You mean I was looking for errors in the Tengwar script when the actual error was in the regularly written spelling?

Doh!

Well, I've made that particular error myself a couple times, to be perfectly honest.
I also mix up -ance and -ence on a regular basis.
[]
I wish spelling tests had been administered to me throughout my school years, instead of ending with sixth grade.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
I thought that the many misspellings and typographical errors in my original post would give it away even if it weren't immediately obvious. But don't feel too badly. I post in other forums, and many others missed it at first, also. Thanks for looking in! Hope all enjoy the latest calendar of the month feature on my website.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Posted a new Calendar of the Month for May this evening at:

Compleat Gyde to Tolkien Calendars

Hope you like it.

Happy May Day!

Parmastahir

[ 05-06-2007, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Entered a new calendar on my website this morning. It is the 2007 Henning Janssen Fantasy Birthday calendar. Although issued this year, it is not dated for calendar year 2007 but intended for capturing birthdays (and anniversaries, etc) annually. You may view the illustrations on his website.

Hope you like it!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Added a rarity to the Compleat Gyde to Tolkien Calendars today: the 2003 Tolkien's Ring calendar. Only three copies exist. A member (who created an illustration of Old Man Willow for it) was kind enough to part with it.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
"New" Polish Tolkien Calendars

I discovered a Polish website that appeared to have three Polish Tolkien Society calendars for sale. One I had catalogued but not collected, and the other two were new to me. Long story short, I contacted a colleague there who confirmed same, ordered them, and sent them to me. I added the two new ones (2003 Parmadili calendars) to my website today.

Thanks for looking in!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Calendar of the Month for June

It's June and that means a new Calendar of the Month feature. Hope you like it.

Happy Summer everyone!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Added a new calendar to the website this week. An 18 month, 2007 - 2008 calendar from the Middle-earth fellowship. They only made 25 for members. Made an entry for it but need to get a photo of it (hopefully tomorrow or this weekend). Am hoping to add some from a small European society soon! Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir

http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Added another new (previously undiscovered) Tolkien calendar to my website this week: a variant of the 2006 Polish Tolkien Society calendar. The first few copies of this calendar were printed on yellow paper. The rest of the "regular" issue (perhaps 100 or so?) were printed on white. Was fortunate to add a copy of the yellow version to my collection this week. View this and all other calendars at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Thanks for visiting!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello to All -

Hope your summer is going well (and, for those here in the US, that you have a most enjoyable 4th of July).

Put a new calendar of the month up for July. It is a true rarity (only three copies of it were printed).

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Have been fortunate to discover and collect four new (previously undiscovered) calendars in the recent weeks. As soon as I as receive them, I'll post them to my website. You will be able to find them most easily through the "What's New?" link there. Hope everyone's summer is going well!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Added three of the new calendars noted above to my collection/catalog this week:

- A 1984 Arthedain (Norge Tolkien Forening) calendar with Gregorian, Shire, and Imladris reckonings.
- 2006 and 2007 Tolkiendil (French Tolkien society).

You can find them at www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Hope you enjoy them!

Parmastahir

[ 07-19-2007, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, I can't []

Is the address wrong? It doesn't seem to be complete []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You have to remove the final point in the url []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!
I was particularly interested in the Norwegian one.

As far as I can see, the text on the right (under "Merkedager") might be fairly self-explanatory - otherwise I could help you translate it. It's too small for me to read it properly as it is, though.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello Varnafindë -

Thank you and I would love to take you up on your offer to translate this calendar. (And thanks to Eluchil for her/his advice on removing the period in my web address!) How may we go about it? The image that I have on my website is a deresolved file of the original high resolution .jpg photo that I took of it. If you contact me via the email link on my website, I could email that .jpg file to you. I await your advice.

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

I tried to email you this
quote:
Yes, I suppose the high resolution jpg-file will be readable. Even as it is, I could read some small parts of it.

"Merkedager" means approximately 'noteworthy days', and I could see that Frodo's/Bilbo's birthday and Tolkien's birthday were mentioned - and I guess also some of the feast days in the Shire, like Lithe and other such days. But that part I couldn't read properly.

- but sending it from webmail seemed not to work for some reason. I'll PM you my email address instead.

If you edit that period out of your post, the link should work []

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Sent the hi-res photo to you.

Edited the link above.

Thanks!

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Received and created a listing for a 2007 Hobbit calendar from Australia this week. It is an excellent calendar from Colin Williams. The illustrations are great, the production quality is top notch, and it's simply different from all of the others that I have collected. Prior to finding it on eBay, had not heard of this one or its illustrator. Could not find a website or email address for him, so have written to him to find out more about his work. Has anyone here any information on Colin Williams (Annandale, NSW, Australia)? Thanks!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello to all -

It's August so I updated the Calendar of the Month feature. This month's is another rare one. Hope you like it and that everyone is enjoying the summer.

Parmastahir

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
I found out A BUNCH about Colin Williams and his calendar(s). He is Australian and created his calendars because he felt the need to do illustrations that reflected his vision of The Hobbit and LotR. He has been doing so since 1999 and creates them as Christmas presents for his family and a few friends. As such, they are quite the labor of love but fulfill an inner desire to put his visions on paper. He quite enthusiastic about his work and should be proud of the quality of those he has created.

Parmastahir

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help