Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 2)
Author Topic: COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Happy July to Everyone!

I have updated my Tolkien calendar website with a few additions and the Calendar of the Month feature. That calendar is the 1976 issue illustrated by the Brothers Hildebrandt in respect to Tim Hildebrandt who passed away on 11 June. Check it all out at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Would be pleased to hear from anyone with comments or a discovery!

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a while since I posted. Hope everyone's summer is going well.

I have updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website. This month's calendar is a particular favorite of mine as I noted on the website. Please stop by! As always, am very interested to hear from you if know of or have any "new" (previously uncatalogued) calendars.

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That Rivendell picture is one of my favorite Tolkien-related pictures. The paperback copy of The Hobbit that I've just finished rereading, has it as its cover - cropped to a portrait format, unfortunately.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello Varnefinde -

The Rivendell landscape is also one of my favorites. I have a giclee print of it 26 x 21 inches (34 x 29 inches with matting and frame) signed and numbered by Ted hanging in my livingroom. Minas Tirith at Dawn is hanging in my office at work. Thanks for your post.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hi All -

Have not catalogued any "new" calendars although the 2007 HarperPrism is out. So will add that one eventually. I did post a new Calendar of the Month for September. Hope everyone's summer was great.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Fall is officially here. Hope everyone enjoys the season!

Added a "new" (previously uncatalogued) calendar to the website (1991 Laurin/Hamburg). Also updated the Calendar of the Month feature for October. You may check them out at:

As always, I would be pleased to hear from fellow collectors.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Updated the Calendar of the Month feature this morning. Won't spoil the surprise by telling you which one. You'll have to visit:

Will soon catalog a rather unique 2006 Advent calendar (has Shire coins in it rather than candy!) Best to all.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Added some calendars in November and updated the Calendar of the Month for December. Hope you enjoy it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Theoden's Hall:
http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars/cotmmar.html

looks a lot like Beorn's Hall:
http://digilander.libero.it/Aragorn_the_Dunedan2/grandi/fantasy/beornhall1.jpg

[ 12-04-2006, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
JANUARY TOLKIEN CALENDAR WEBSITE UPDATE

I have reformatted my Tolkien calendar website in an attempt to make it much less cluttered and easier to use. In addition, there are many new additions (2007 calendars and several new discoveries) and a new Calendar of the Month featured for January. Hope you all enjoy (and use) it!

Parmastahir

Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin . Your first link only shows the Misty Mountains. I didn't see Theoden's Hall.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
The fault is not Thorin's. I posted a new Calendar of the Month for January. Theoden's hall was the March illustration for the December CotM. So it has been overwritten (so to speak). It was indeed Theoden's Hall from the 1969 calendar by Tim Kirk. Thanks very much for looking in!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
And one more thing . . .

HAPPY ELEVENTY-FIFTH BIRTHDAY, PROFESSOR TOLKIEN!

Cheers, Professor!

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello to all -

Hope your January is going well.

Added society listings for the Tolkien's Ring and Shire Post groups to the website this weekend. Even small societies can issue calendars if they are active and motivated!

Ordered a new one from Tolkien's Ring, and I hope to add a rather rare one to the list soon.

As always, I very much appreciate the support of the many people (here and other societies, fellow collectors) that has taken my personal quest to where it is today!

Parmastahir

[ 01-21-2007, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends.

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
February Website Update

Added some new calendars in January and put up the Calendar of the Month for February. Hope you enjoy. As always, would love to hear from you about undiscovered calendars. Hope your winter is going well!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
BIG Little Calendar

Added a rarity to my collection this week: the 1983 Antioch Publishing Not-Too-Big "Fantasy Calendar". I have been searching for one for years. It was the only calendar that year to have any Tolkien-related illustration. Not Ballantine Books nor Allen&Unwin nor any of the various Tolkien societies did so. Even then, only the July illustration ("Gandalf's Visit" by Sylvia Thomas) is so. The name is very much self-descriptive: it is only 5.75 inches square. Have created an entry and will add a picture at my website: www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Thanks for looking in and your interest!

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a curious soul. What does this mean?

quote:
Away from The Green Hill Country

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Ultimately, "Away from The Green Hill Country" is attributable to the late Bernie Zuber. He organized the old Tolkien Fellowship. When replying to emails, he would close with "In Fellowship". So everyone started using "In fellowship". A former member and the very well-known Gary Hunnewell (aka Hildifons Took) was living in Maine at the time and started closing his emails with "In Tuckborough". When he moved away from Maine, he started closing his emails with "Away from Tuckborough". I have written to him many times and he still closes with "Away from Tuckborough", and it was he that gave me this explanation. In any case, I liked his closing so much that I modified it to my "Away from The Green Hill Country". My closing is also Tolkien-related (The Green Hill Country being the area of The Shire around and east of Tuckborough in the West Farthing) and is a not-so-obvious reference to where I live: Vermont, The Green Mountain State. Finally, I use "Away" in the sense of, "I am away from my desk now. Please leave a message." There you have a tale that sometimes reminds me of the discussion that Frodo and Sam had about the Phial of Galadriel and its light coming from the Silmarils. Sam remarked about how they were in a great tale that was still going on. So, in essence, I have a small part in a tale of great Tolkien people that is still going. What's the expression about "standing on the shoulders of giants"?

In respect to my betters, I will close with,

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
March Tolkien Calendar Website Update

I added several calendars in February (find them under "What's New") and just posted the March Calendar of the Month. It is the first issue in a series that are personal favorites. Hope you enjoy it!

Spring is coming! I could feel it in the air here today.

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Parmastahir,
You've an interesting and rather unique idea collecting these old calendars. I can remember throwing out my calendars over the years with a measure of uncertainty and pain about it.
Having visited your link (and please forgive me if I've missed it) I wonder if you've also scanned in each picture/month, as I have not found them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello Pi -

With over 200 calendars catalogued (so far) and 12 months for each, posting each of the monthly illustration (plus the cover, frontispiece, back pages, back cover as necessary) would be a VERY big job . . . and a VERY large website. I have a free hosting service (Angelfire) and only 20 mb of space. So, beyond the amount of work, I have to be judicious in my use of that space. (My son is taking a web design course this semester, so perhaps this summer he can help me migrate the content to a larger space and different domain name.) As a compromise, I do have a Calendar of the Month feature. You will find a link to it in the left section of the calendar homepage. As noted there, please let me know if there is one that you would like to see. I have heard from visitors and shown their requests over the last year.

In addition to the commercial publishers (e.g. - Ballantine and Allen&Unwin which are now under the HarperCollins banner), there are many Tolkien societies/associations that have published calendars for their membership. I have been fortunate to discover and collect some with as few as three copies. More importantly, members of these societies have been kind enough to write up histories of their groups for me. In an attempt to provide more content than the simple "cut and dried" information provided by each calendar entry, I have been adding their information to the appropriate sections/entries within my website. You can discover those entries in the "What's New" section of my website:

As always, appreciate your posts/comments. Should you know of any calendars that I have not catalogued, I would of course love to hear from you. It is my quest to make my gyde compleat! Thanks much.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hi again, Pi -

There are several websites out there that do have the monthly illustrations on them. One of them is:

http://www.duvendor.hpg.ig.com.br/Artistas/Artistas%20Menu_3.htm

I visited just now and they were working on it. But this has happened before and it has always come back up later. The Rolozo Tolkien site used to have them. But he removed all of them.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
APRIL CALENDAR WEBSITE UPDATE

Happy Spring everyone!

It's the first of the month and that means that I have updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website. April's calendar is a rarity and particular favorite. Recent updates may be found under "What's New on this Website?" You may view it all at:

Hope you enjoy it! Best to all.

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
See if you can figuer out wha'ts worng with this pitcher!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Stephen-Hickman-Tolkien-Calendar-Illustration_W0QQitemZ170099089312QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3 987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Parmasthair

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first thought was where does it say that Sauron had whiskers?

Second, the "black hand" looks more red than black to me.

Third, there's probably something wrong with the Tengwar in the script, but at the resolution in my display, I can't quite make it out. I rather imagine from Parm's post that that's what we're actually looking for, too.

Aika?

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help