Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 1)
Author Topic: COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I got into this sub-set of Tolkieniana by saving the Tolkien calendars that I got for Christmas every year. I started using ebay, various on-line booksellers, and contacting other collectors through message boards such as Minas Tirith. I have cataloged 150+ calendars and been VERY fortunate to acquire a good many of them (even some true rarities.) You may visit my website at www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars If you have or know of any issues that are missing from that list, please drop me a line through the website or here. Thanks! Hope you enjoy it.

Parmastahir (parma=book, asta=month, hir-=root for 'to find; thus "book of months finder" or "calendar collector" [] )

[ 02-19-2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive!
You need to move the full stop out of the link, though, it messes up the link. I had to remove it before I could see your site.

I've seen the Hobbit calendar of 2006 around. I had no idea there would be so many others for 2006 ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 1978 Hildebrandt one. The pic of Sarumann always creeped me out because the palantir seemed to 'glow' and Sarumann was always looking at me no matter what angle.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As Varnafinde said, take the last period out of the link. It should be:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Thanks for looking in!

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
For those interested, I have added the 2004, 2005, and 2006 Hollin Designs calendars (see the 2006 Elvish Battle Calendar thread)and a 1981 Silver Anniversary Methuen to the list. As always, if you know of or have any calendars that are missing from my compilation, I would love to hear from you! Thanks for looking in at:

Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! I have the 1976 Hildebrandt in the cardboard mailer.

I always admire those that can make their hobbies a true passion that is not necessarily related to big $$$, though I'm sure some of those don't come cheap.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hi Marcho -

Thanks for your reply. I say "passion". My wife says "obsession". What's in a word anyway? []

Many of the common ones are readily available on ebay. Even some of the less common ones if you know what you're looking for. As I have been at this for a while, I know what the various calendars should go for (or at least what I'm willing to pay). So I set an auction limit, and if I don't win that one, another will come along. Most of them I have spent less than $20 on. Some mint (unopened mailers or shrinkwrapped) I have paid less than the original sale price.

I did spend "a bit" for the one signed by Professor Tolkien. But anything with his signature on it is pricey. As I collect the calendars and have wanted his autograph, it is the perfect collectible for me. It is bittersweet to know he held that calendar but passed away shortly after doing so.

Beyond the pleasure that I get from getting the calendars out and seeing the artwork, there are the friendships that I have made around the world. As I have said before, these are as precious as rings to me.

What I need from the MT community is some suggestions as to how I can share my collection with others. I'm thinking I might attend GOTF in Toronto and there is a 3-day conference at the U of VT (where I live). So what you? Beyond that, Hyarion is helping me (when I can find some more time) move my website. With more space (100 mb vs 20 mb now), I may be able to add pictures of the monthly illustations. Who knows where this will lead?

Thanks all!

Parmastahir

[ 02-05-2006, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Anborn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5267
posted      Profile for Anborn   Author's Homepage   Email Anborn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
your website doesn't work. for some reason 'error' comes up.
From: Edhellond | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
If you clicked on the link in the first posting above, it doesn't work because of the period (full stop as noted by Varnafinde). Use this one:

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was particularly interested in this one:
quote:
Henning Janssen
"HenJ GrafX Calendar 2006". Illustrations by Henning Janssen. Limited edition of 111. Dimensions: 11 3/4 x 11 3/4 inches (w x h); wire bound; heavy wire hanging loop.

It's interesting to someone other than the 'classical' illustrators make some new pictures. Is there anything else you can tell us about this illustrator? Limited edition of 111??? Where is (or was) it sold? And who is the woman in the picture? []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
You can find his bio (in his own words) at:

www.henj.nl

You can also find info on (and from) him at:

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/h/e/henj/?_=1139635345

It was sold in the Netherlands. As to the elfmaiden on the cover, he did not note who he intended to depict. It is also the March illustration and is titled "Footsteps of Spring". I dropped him a line and will see what he says.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Thank you, that's really useful!
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
I received today a VERY nice (and detailed) reply to my questions of Henning Janssen. His website has been "dormant" (in his words). So you may now have received an email from him if you emailed via his website. The cover (and month of May) illustration of his 2006 Fantasy calendar, while titled "Footsteps of Spring", is intended to be a young Luthien. He actually sketched the elfmaiden while on one of his long trips to visit his parents. When John Howe proposed "weather" as the theme of his 2007 illustrator challenge, he knew immediately what kind of scene to put her in.

What I should do is create a "calendar of the month" on my website so that others can enjoy all of his (and other illustrators') work. I am now inspired to do so! To paraphrase Bilbo: "I don't know half of the calendars as well as I should like." (And I like ALL of them, so the second half of that line is omitted!) In that case, please check in at some point to view same at:

Thanks all for looking.

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Updated the website today. Added several calendars over the last week or so which brings the total number of Tolkien (including a few fantasy art calendars with Tolkien illustrations) calendars to 182 (at least that I am aware of!) Also added a "Calendar of the Month" feature today. Please visit and let me know what you think about it. Thanks all for stopping in and any replies you may post here.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Good work!

There's one I hadn't noticed before (it may have been there all along, of course):
quote:
Friends of the Earth (New Zealand) Ltd.
ISBN:
"Unspoiled Earth 1984". Photos by Barney Brewster. New Zealand locales reminiscent of Tolkien scenes with Tolkien titles.

[]
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Thanks! Am glad that you like it. Creating it and collecting the calendars has been great fun.

I added the Unspoiled Earth calendar only within the last two or three months. A fellow collector (Gary Hunnewell aka Hildifons - yes, the one that catalogued the Marquette University Tolkien collection, and also worked on the Beyond Bree collectors' catalog back in 1992) sent me the photos and information. I am trying to find a copy of it and have contacted numerous booksellers in NZ and Australia without success (so far). Thanks for your post!

[ 02-26-2006, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

Anborn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5267
posted      Profile for Anborn   Author's Homepage   Email Anborn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 2006 The Hobbit Calendar - it's not bad.
From: Edhellond | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
The cover (and month of May) illustration of his 2006 Fantasy calendar, while titled "Footsteps of Spring", is intended to be a young Luthien.
Which I'm going to put up on my website, and which I've now requested to have as my MT avatar - with kind permission from the artist. I've been mailing with him, and he was really helpful - even sending me a high resolution version of the picture, to have better material to make the avatar and the website picture from.

Thanks for making me aware of that artist and that picture! []

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
I am pleased that I could be of some small service in this matter. I have found Mr. Janssen to be very informative and personable... and his illustrations speak for themselves. My personal favorites are his line (pencil or pen/ink) drawings. You may find some of them on the Rolozo Tolkien website.
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Hello to All -

Added two more calendars to my compilation today: Inklings calendars (Cahill&Co from 1978 and 1979). Drop in, see how many of the Tolkien calendars you have and/or recognize . . . or just see how many there are! Check out the "Calendar of the Month" for March and let me know what you suggest for next month. Thanks.

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

And then it became my avatar ... []

I've ordered the calendar, and it should arrive soon.

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Well, it's April and that means a new "Calendar of the Month" featured on my Tolkien calendar website:

Hope you enjoy this one (and the others). Please drop me a line (via the website) if there is one on the website that you would like to see the illustrations from.

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
Happy May to all!

May means a new calendar of the month on my website:

Have recently added some Finnish Tolkien Society calendars and will soon add a couple from France.

The biggest single change is the format of the site. I put the thumbnails into 10 different lists making the homepage easier to open (faster for those without hi-speed internet access).

Check it all out. Am always happy to hear from anyone!

Parmastahir

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
If you are interested, I updated my Tolkien calendar website this weekend..

Finally created a new Calendar-of-the-Month for June. Won't spoil the surprise by telling you what it is! I have been picking out calendars that are somewhat uncommon, and this one certainly is!

Have added a few "new" calendars (recently discovered or catalogued). You can find out which ones in the "What's New" section of the website.

Lastly, Beren suggested a section where calendars are sorted by country or society rather than chronologically. So I did so for a large number of them (excluding the large number of Ballantine/USA and Allen&Unwin/UK - and their successors - issues).

Hope you enjoy! Comments always welcome - especially if you have a discovery to report. Thanks!

Parmastahir

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on to those Hildebrandt calendars. They are now doubly collector's items, as Tim Hildebrandt died on 11 June 2006.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » COLLECTING TOLKIEN CALENDARS (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help