Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » The hand scribed elvish tengwar 2005 calendar is HERE!!!
Author Topic: The hand scribed elvish tengwar 2005 calendar is HERE!!!
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
posted      Profile for Laithaine   Email Laithaine   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, you all know I'm a scribe but since I'm new to the forum, you don't know what I do with my calligraphy. Here is the story: Every year my fellow elf, Alia, and I spend two months making a total labor of love to share with Tolkien readers and friends. This calendar represents hours and hours of research and work and for what? Nothing!!!!

We ask for a donation of $10 plus shipping but we always STRESS to the free people this is a NOT FOR PROFIT effort. We don't earn a thing. NOT ONE CENT!!! All we want to do is cover the expenses of making and shipping.

Why would we do this for nothing? Simply because we love to. We love tengwar, designing and working together and more than that, we love how this little calendar brings the magic of M-e to a person year round.

Anyway, I hope you like it!!! Here is the URL to get a closer look. But truthfully, and I'm not kidding, the pictures just DON'T do it justice. (Also, the metal spirals binding the calendar are real brass wire that I twist myself!)

Elvish Calendar

[ 12-16-2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Laithaine ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Strive for Immortality

From: Shadowvale | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say? WOW! That must have taken alot of work!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful. []

How long did it take you?

From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! $10 + shipping? I'll do it!

I see you used Shire names and dates instead of the Stewards Reckoning or the Kings Reckoning. And it says $15 + $2 shipping.
What should I paypal?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
posted      Profile for Laithaine   Email Laithaine   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I tried some new techniques this year so the calligraphy itself took just over 12 hours. That's less than before. My friends background design was at least the same. Then the magic after that (we won't tell!) was around another 10 hours between the layout to my hand curling of the binding brass twists. You can see, considering the hours and materials, how it is that we never operate anywhere except the Red. I hope some day to just break even! Haha!

Still, I gotta say it's the best 30 plus hours I spend every year. I mean, I always set the mood. I put on the most elvishy music I have, light as many candles as I've got, shut the study door and then set to work. So, it really is my mental trip to Imladris. really, it just takes me away!

I really wish I had more reasons to practice my craft because it's such a great escape!

[ 12-28-2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Laithaine ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Strive for Immortality

From: Shadowvale | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
Oh, and Snowdog, we tried to do something new each year, so perhaps next year we should do the Kings reckoning. Would be fun. It's a great idea and if you have any more, I would LOVE To hear them. We always want to keep it fresh and by no means are Alia and I perfect scholars, so we would be grateful for differences of vision.

Best,
Laithaine

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Strive for Immortality

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! 'll email you some ideas you may want to consider for 2006! "_

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE IT. I am soooo stealing this idea and making my own. Don't worry, I shant be competition - I suck at caligraphy... [] well, okay, not really, but I'm not as good as you.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

posted      Profile for Aermîr Goldenflower   Author's Homepage   Email Aermîr Goldenflower   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So beautiful!!!
*spends five minutes staring at it, and would spend longer if she could*

From: Moving from Point A to Point B. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add your link to our links page, but I need a new category for it. Any ideas?
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe "fan art"?
From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I got it and its cool! Thanks! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
Heya Snowdog, I'm so glad you like it.

Regarding a link catagory, I'm not sure where it would go. Lemme research a bit and I"ll get back to ya!

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a little old, but Lithaine is about to issue the 2006 calendar. (Yes, it's a small "plug" for her calendar, but the rules permit one.)

My real purpose is to find someone who purchased either her 2005 or 2004 calendars and is willing to part with them. I collect Tolkien calendars (and may start a thread on them in this collecting forum). You can check out my Tolkien calendar website at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Somehow (I think on another board), I discovered her calendar. But it was February of last year, and they were all gone by the time I asked for one. Therefore, if someone is willing to part with an old one, I assure you that it would be very much appreciated. A fellow Tolkien fan told me of the Minas Tirith boards (which I had not heretofore found on my own).

Thanks.

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I have a 2005 and plan on keeping it.
I would like to get a 2006...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Parmastahir, glad you found your way to MT! []

I may still have my 2004 calendar of hers -- if I do, it's yours. I'll have to hunt for it...

I have her email address. If you want, I can drop her a line (I owe her an email anyway) and ask whether she still has any of the 2004-5 versions leftover.

[ 01-11-2006, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Vëarenen ilnutin nardar."

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Silmahtar -

THANKS VERY MUCH for the generous offer! Whether you can find it or not, I much appreciate it. Laithaine (Laura) has her 2006 Battle calendar almost ready and I have reserved a copy of it. If you want one, I'd be happy to have her send one to you as a trade for the 2004! I'll watch this thread to see if you are successful in you hunt.

Hi Snowdog -

Thanks for the reply. As a calendar collector, I can well understand why you'd like to hold on to yours. I am glad that you enjoy it still!
As I noted to Silmahtar, you can easily contact Laithaine (Laura) to order one. Last year, I did not find her calendar until February and they were all gone. So I would not wait much longer (do it today!!!)

Thanks to all for viewing this post.

Parmastahir

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
I contacted Laithaine. She is going to get copies of the '04 and '05 calendars for me. I will say that she has truly gone "above and beyond the call" to do so. It will require a good deal of personal effort by her and is, without a doubt, pretty much amazing to me! I can only say "THAG YOU VERY BUCH" to her and that falls short of expressing my gratitude.

Suggest that anyone who wants one of the '06 Battle calendars from her order it today. Her '05 calendar is one of the items in the GOTF time capsule.

Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
Well you just flatter me overmuch, my precious!!! The new calendars (yours included) will be arriving to me on Friday for wiring and then can be off to you on Monday!
Tar-Aldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5396
posted      Profile for Tar-Aldarion   Author's Homepage   Email Tar-Aldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i cant open page with the calendar
its nothing there!!!!!!

From: Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » The hand scribed elvish tengwar 2005 calendar is HERE!!!
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help