Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » The Artist's Inn ..... Top 3 (Page 4)
Author Topic: The Artist's Inn ..... Top 3
White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

posted      Profile for White Maiden   Email White Maiden   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome [] , but on a different note art.com, which was introduced in the pony is great fun [] [] (I seriously recommend it).
Here are my rather pathetic attempts at drawing on a computer for the first time []
One -now I look at it again I'm faintly reminded of Cher []
Two - both of these are just imagined and then scribbled, but they were very fun []

From: New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Artists []
First of all, a warm welcome to Sam Gamgee,Laithaine (wonderful tengwar [] ) and Kharn with his wonderful job []
We hope we'll see more of your art in the future []

Losty unique work, as usualy []
And I can't see yours White Maiden [] ... I have the ancient (Stone Age to be exact) version of Macromedia []

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A couple new ones to add.

My attempt at portraying a tender scene

Gollum

I don't like this last one... I think gollum's right eye and mouth are way off. He also looks thin, even for him. The background also sucks, as usual. Well constructive critism is always welcome.

Speaking of welcome... Hello Kharn! Love the drawing sir (I presume it is sir?). It is always good to see new artwork. []

Maiden, you know, I thought the same thing (referring to your "Cher" comment) when I saw that portrait. [] Though it's really a bit odd. []

[ 01-18-2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: The Woodwose ]

From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

posted      Profile for White Maiden   Email White Maiden   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Woody- Your 'attempt' is absolutly beautiful [] , Wow her eyes are just... [] amazing

Alright I havn't posted any proper art for a while now, but I've actually been painting quite a bit []
Here are three of my most recent paintings, none of which took much time at all [] []
Eowyn- This is one I finished a few weeks ago (one the night of my 16th actually [] ), in oils and I rather like the colours in this one.
Rose- My younger sister. I started this straight after finishing the other. It's in oils too and it does look like her funnily enough, though she wasn't wearing a dress- I made that bit up.
Louie- (from the Interview with the Vampire) I recently finished the book and loved it, and there was a memorable scene in which Louie sits for a portrait and I sort of based his expression on the one Anne Rice describes. I started it yesterday, so I've only done the face.
Edit- Arien, welcome back! [] You're not missing out on seeing anything special with my computer art []

[ 01-24-2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: White Maiden ]

From: New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lantarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4363
posted      Profile for Lantarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
White Maiden...The one of Eowyn looks so real!
From: here | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are all really good Maiden! []

I could immediately tell that "Louie" was Brad Pitt even though I've never seen the movie.

The one of your sister is also very good. I can't believe you were able to create the dress and background from your imagination. []

The Eowyn one looks very well done. Though, I see a little bit of YOU in it. [] Do you do a lot of self-portraits?

[ 01-24-2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: The Woodwose ]

From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

[] Thank-you both very much []
That certainly is lovely to hear that Woody, but
quote:
Though, I see a little bit of YOU in it. Do you do a lot of self-portraits?

[] Gets a little lost, me? []
I never do self portraits, I don't find myself an interesting model at all. I don't think I could ever get a picture of myself accurate- I'd always be trying to make myself prettier than I really am. [] What about you?

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

I've done a couple (well one and a half to be exact). The reason I asked is that a lot of artists have a hard time keeping their own features out of their portraits (according to my art professor last semester). I'm guessing it is because they do a lot of self-portraits.

I don't know, it was just a thought. []

edit:

quote:
I'd always be trying to make myself prettier than I really am.
I think it would be hard to do that. []

[ 01-25-2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: The Woodwose ]

White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

That's quite intriguing [] not only because I'd never heard that before, and it's really very interesting... But because you have an art professor [] no wonder you're drawings are so amazing. I have an art 'teacher' (teaching me what, I don't know) at school [] and she spends all her time telling me that I must scribble or write over my work to make it 'effective'- I just learn techniques in my own time and through my own investiagations instead []

**goes off to look for Woody in his drawings**
Edit: [] []

[ 01-25-2005, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: White Maiden ]

Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok ... I am still working on finding a way to post some of my work but it just keeps getting harder and harder []
Anyway, currently I have undertaken a new task and accepted to draw a friend's house. I am using acrylics and so far so good. When I find someone with a digicam, I'll post the resutls. It's all about flowers, elfs and sea shels. []

White Maiden, I love your work, the shadings more than anything [] And the black of your sister's hair and the way they shine is perfect. And your light position is also well targeted.

Where do you think you're "not that good" ? I mean if you had an art professor like Woody, what do you think you should be teached?

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

Oh, my art professor didn't actually teach me how to draw. I did learn a few things about drawing but it was an art "appreciation class." She gave two drawing exercises which have helped me, but other than that it was more of a looking at other people's artworks kind of thing.

The only thing I really have is patience. I can spend hours non-stop on a single drawing and it doesn't bother me.

Hoom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4497

posted      Profile for Hoom   Email Hoom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all [] I was looking through all your wonderful works yesterday and realised that I hadn't drawn in a long while, so I sat down last night and made this ...

Frodo with Sting

I'm pretty happy with it, except Sting. I need to write the Sindarin on it, but haven't found a big enough close up yet.

[ 01-25-2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Satori Lórwen ]

From: Sydney | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It always amazes me how much talent there is here.

Gosh, I don't know where to begin......Well, White Maiden your paintings are inspiring! I've always thought your works were good but I believe you're improving! A difficult task for one already so good I can imagine. I love the color schemes you use...a fan of cool colors? [] The colors for the Eowyn painting seem to suit it so well. Very sombre. Your sister is lovely and the dress goes very well on her [] I don't know what your sister looks like but you seemed to have captured the looks of each person rather well. Is the one of Louie done?

Woodwose, the drawing of Eowyn is my favorite so far of yours. Very nicely done. [] I'm very impressed. It seems like you've done something different with this one but I can't quite put my finger on it. The one with gollum is very good. And you know, even though your gollum is skinnier than PJ's I happen to like yours better. The movie Gollum had such a big head >.<

Kharn! Welcome! I adore The High House. Love the colors. Love the style. Love how well you did the textures. It's like you can almost feel the night sky []

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

Thank-you Losty , you say my works are inspiring, but in truth they were inspired [] And largely due to you, and Woody of course. You both seemed to capture such feeling and character in every piece. I'm working towards emotion like you always portray.
Woody your patience already shines out of your work- I don't think anyone could make Éowyn's eyes and face shine like that with-out it. It's just beautiful []
Arien I certainly don't mean to say that if I had a professor as a teacher I would improve in anyway, I was truthfully a little jealous of Woody's seemingly very interesting teacher [] He/she sounds a bit like my first teacher- who I loved and admired, a teacher like that is a rare and wonderful find []
B.T.W- Satori your another person who just seems to be getting better and better. Your shading particularly is improving, and I don't think that anyone could contest that that really is Frodo []

Hoom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4497

posted      Profile for Hoom   Email Hoom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you White Maiden [] Shading is extremely tricksy for me [] I only did art in my junior years of high school, so I really have no idea how to go about it. If there's a reason for my improving, it's seeing exceptional works like those here! Gah, it's extremely intimidating for an art newbie like me! []

Thanks for the vote of confidence though.

*is, for some reason, reminded of The Little Engine That Could* []

From: Sydney | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Help needed!

I'm trying to getting better at working out the composition of my drawings. I did this on the computer and I'd really appreciate feedback on it.

-

Ignore the sloppiness and the poorly-drawn things......does it appear balanced? Are the colors balanced? Does it seem heavy on one side?

Please?

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

Thanks y'all []

Losty I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I'll try. The thing that bothers me about your drawing is the perspective. On the right side, you have what can be perceived as depth and a top and bottom, but on the left side there is no such perception. Basically, there is ground on the right side but not on the left; and there is nothing on the left side to give it depth (like the girl). []

Does that help?

Interesting image though. []

White Maiden
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4389

[] Mine certainly isn't an opinion to rely on, but-
I think you use of colours is working very well [] , the black on the one side brings out the difference in depth, the darker colour balancing the far closer hand on the left.

I wasn't bothered by the lack of depth on the left [] I think your most important look at a painting is your first, and my first impression was of interest- I wanted to understand the composition, rather than see flaws in it [] (so what does it show? [] )

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

The Gandalfs:

First try (already in thread)

Second try (new)

Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

Losty it is balanced [] maybe if you play around with the tones of blue a bit, so that the blue appearing to be the road the woman walks on can be somewhat of a lighter impression than the part of blue that shows behind the fingers of the hand.

otherwise the impression you're going for is there [] -The had is closer to the eye than the woman, the perspective is there, the deapth is there. You're ok []

Erufailar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3417

posted      Profile for Erufailar   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fingon:

-

and Tuor:

-

E: spear tip changed to single edge, without swan emblems and with Elven writing; bow and quiver added as well

[ 05-01-2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Erufailar ]

From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor -Laurelin-
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3717

posted      Profile for -Laurelin-   Email -Laurelin-   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're my hero Erufailar!

Though I don't know where that Spear is coming from for Tuor - These drawings are blowing me away! Tuor's Shield is accurately amazing!
May your hand be blessed with many more drawings!

From: Québec | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erufailar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3417

posted      Profile for Erufailar   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Laurelin! I'm glad you appreciate my artwork! About the spear, I had sworn I read about it somewhere in the chapter and on page 36 of UT (if it's the right edition), just as Tuor and Voronwë prepare for departure.

quote:
Tuor took with him the small bow and arrows that he had brought, beside the gear that he had taken from the hall; but his spear , upon which his name was written in the Elven-runes of the North, he set upon the wall in token that he had passed.
I guess it must have been very late at night when I read that passage. Now I have to add bow and arrows and remove the swan emblems on the spear which he apparently had all along(although he doesn't end up taking it with him anyway).
From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

I can't see them Erufailar [] just white boxes with a cross.
Could you post links as well?

Roll of Honor -Laurelin-
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3717

posted      Profile for -Laurelin-   Email -Laurelin-   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arien,

If you right-click on the little boxes, and go in 'properties'. You will see the link - then just copy-paste it in your adress bar!

That's what I did.
---

Erufailar, my bad. I had forgot about any spear. He could certainly have handled the Shield while with his spear in hand! No mistake, that's great Artwork!

[ 02-04-2005, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: -Laurelin- ]

From: Québec | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » The Artist's Inn ..... Top 3 (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help