profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » The History Of Middle Earth
Author Topic: The History Of Middle Earth
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well met, citizens!

I am currently looking for a job to do besides Uni to earn some extra cash, and so far there is little or nothing I'd love more to spend my money on than a set of HoMe. However, there is no translated version for me (I'm from Germany), so I consider getting the English Original - can anyone here tell me whether this article comes in a good condition and quality or not? It's the collection, distributed by Harper Collins, all three books. I would feel a bit uneasy about spending 240 Euro for three books that fall into pieces after a month or so. []

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own any of these volumes, but I know someone who does, and from what I've seen it seems fairly solid.

The chief argument against might be that the books are getting on for unwieldy. Not very easy to carry around casually, at any rate.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The problem I have is that there are some paperback editions of single volumes, but first, not all are available, and second, put together they will probably even exceed the list price of those three books. But I agree, a little handy book is better for doing research and analysis. I enjoy marking certain words and phrases I deem important in different colours in my (quite worn-out) Silmarillion paperback []

I just found out that amazon.co.uk sells this edition for 35 pound instead of 50 [] I wonder whether I can order from them or not. Oh well, I will have to get a job first, and then my salary before I can think about the next step.

Thanks for your input! []

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have those, Belly. I'm quite happy with them, although they are rather unwieldy, as Laur implied. I had a great deal of problems getting Volume 2, which seems to be (or was) out of print. We discussed it some in WGW's thread here and also on the third page of this thread. I bought them more for collection and display purposes, and typically use mass market paperbacks for actual reading.

I would suggest that if you want to get these, do some homework and make sure that you can get all 3 versions before you start buying. I bought 1 & 3 and couldn't find 2, until someone at MT found it in a bookshop in England for me.

[ 05-29-2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

Thanks Thorin. [] (I hoped I'd never have to say that)
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever pick up those issues, Belegurth?
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

They are still on my to-buy list, but so far, I have not received money from my employer. But in the course of the next two months I should have enough of those funny colourful notes gathered to spend them on those three wonderful volumes.

My latest investion is a paperback LotR (original, English version), so you can probably how my financial situation looks like right now. []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » The History Of Middle Earth
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help