profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » Elvish Cloaks
Author Topic: Elvish Cloaks
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy!

Does anybody know of a good place to find an Elven Cloak? The only place I can find is Tolkientown and that costs $150. I'm sure there must be cloaks out there for cheaper than that somewhere, and I'm just not looking in the right place.

Thanks.

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Noble Collection might have them, but, they'd be $150.
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I searched all over Nobel Collection first. All they have is the things made of metal, like rings, pendants, and head-dresses. Also the Chess board.
No cloaks though. []

E:
I found this at TolkienTown. It's a Frodo kit, with the cloak. Do you guys think that this is an adult or Childrens kit? They have a bunch of them for both, but this isn't labeled. It looks like it could be either. But I don't want it to be too small.

E2: And now I have emailed the company asking. Perhaps that's a good idea.

[ 12-26-2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Peregrin Took ]

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My friend got that kit. Don't get it. It is very very cheaply made. I think his cloak tore the same day he got it, and he wasn't even doing anything rough with it.

Can you sew at all? Cloaks are very easy to make, and you can get fabric at Wal-mart for a dollar or two a yard because the fabric that is good for that kind of thing usually isn't in demand. One of the Tolkien costume sites might have easy instructions for construction of a cloak. My mom made me a beautiful black velor cloak in about four hours by hand. On machine it would take less.

But if you want to buy a cloak, you might try one of the various pagan resource sites. I've seen some beautiful cloaks and robes on those sites....Don't remember prices, but there's bound to be some reasonable ones out there....

[ 12-26-2003, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I found something on Ebay. It looks fairly decent.
Its cloak patterns for LOTR.
But that means you would have to actually make it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Beauty Gives Me Voice

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

I personally have 2 cloaks, and mother made them both. I'm trying to get it for a gift for a friend, and mother said that she will NOT make another cloak for me ever. And I can't sew, nor if I did, I can't read a pattern. Maybe I'll pay someone to do it for me.

Thanks for the imput on the kit, Neytari. I most likely would have bought it too.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Support cows named Bob, if you don't who will?
Save a Cow, eat a Chicken!

Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I sewed mine and I love it. I think a homemade one is cheaper and better quality than anythingyou can buy.

Send me money and the fabric you want and I'll make the cloak for you. []

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll sew you a cloak Pip! []

If you're talking about a Lorién cloak, here is my diagnosis:
First off, if you want a real cloak exactly like in the movie, you can buy them, for about $1,500. They come lined, however, like a fancy coat, and are therefore not even screen accurate. Not cool.
Secondly, the fabric used to make those cloaks is a uniquely-woven New Zealand wool. Even if you were to find that fabric in a fabric store (which you can't, I tried), it would run about $50 a yard, at the very least. So, yea, if you're thinking of getting a really screen accurate cloak, good luck []

[ 12-28-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"But I love him, whether or no."

H.A.R.C. President and founder...because (some of) you hate her as much as I do.

From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nuinamarthion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1945

posted      Profile for Nuinamarthion   Author's Homepage   Email Nuinamarthion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This place carries officially licensed custumes. Looks very interesting. []

http://www.mithrilarmoury.com/licensed_costumes.htm

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

I just want my friend to have a cloak to have so he can think he's an Elf in his demented little head. I don't want anything over-fancy, or super-official looking.

Actually, if any of you are serious about sewing it for me, I'll send ou the money for the fabric, and S&H, and any money you would like for your effort with the sewing. I'd make my mommy do it, but she swore after finishing mine that she'll never sew again. And I'd rather have it hand made by someone reliable, then having it on 6-month backorder from Random Co. X.

Anyone who would seriously like to help, PLEASE PM me. []

Taniquetil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4562
posted      Profile for Taniquetil   Author's Homepage   Email Taniquetil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If u go 2 a Wicca site they would actually have some Elven cloaks surprisingly....i know i saw some. But if ur not wiccan and u dont want to go through the trouble, ill see if i can find it again.
From: somewhere | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tari Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4536
posted      Profile for Tari Mithrandir   Email Tari Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Before you do anything drastic, try museum replicas limited, their website is www.museumreplicas.com, they have a one size fits most Frodo cloake for $70, If that's not good enough, they have all sorts of other cloaks for great prices too, try it!

[ 07-03-2004, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Tari Mithrandir ]

From: Rivendell | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
posted      Profile for Laithaine   Email Laithaine   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, you can buy a cloak made from the real fabric here:
http://www.stansborough.co.nz/sb/index.cfm

You can email them directly and have one custum made for you if you like. they're extremely nice. Will cost around $400 US. I'm scrimping together my pennies because I'm determined to become the source of major gossip in my neighborhood that I'm moving to by shovelling my driveway in an Elven Cloak in the winter. In the brains of the small minded Yokels I'll be moving next too, this will keep them going for months. []

I swear, I'm going to bring the "Cloak" fashion back in NYC and NJ! It's my 2005 goal!

From: Shadowvale | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! I am sooo getting one of those - after I pay off King Elessar's crown. [] But I'm still getting one. I have a scarf from there (mom got it when we were in NZ without me knowing somehow) and it's [] WONDERFUL [] and so must be the cloak. I will save every penny (and I have a lot of them too... 700 odd I think [] ) and I think I can earn money by making handmade stuff and by other little things.
*starts kniving ways to make money*

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
posted      Profile for Laithaine   Email Laithaine   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You bought the crown???? Really! Isn't it HUGE???

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Strive for Immortality

From: Shadowvale | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it up close yet. It doesn't ship until the 5th of December. But if it's huge, maybe it will fit me.... [] []
From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
Do get back wiht a description when you've got it! Wow
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whether it's for Hallowe'en, a home movie, or just for a party, let me say this: VALUE VILLAGE! Value Village, it's amazing what you can find there. Expecially if your making your own costume. Best part is that is costs very little!

St. Vincint DePaul is also good.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Yeah. We go to the local 2nd hand store a lot for that kinda stuff. But I tend to like making my own stuff more. I made a Luthien dress this year for halloween out of silver knit velvet with an elvish pattern in a slightly darker silver. It's [] beautiful [] !!!
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Sorry about the double post, but

I GOT MY CROWN!!!

It's wonderful! I'll try and post pictures soon.

[ 12-20-2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Arorë Silvertongue ]

Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
Oh my GOSH I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah. We go to the local 2nd hand store a lot for that kinda stuff. But I tend to like making my own stuff more. I made a Luthien dress this year for halloween out of silver knit velvet with an elvish pattern in a slightly darker silver. It's [] beautiful [] !!!
Arorë, dod you ever post a pic of you in this dress? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » Elvish Cloaks
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help