Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » LotR sword buying... (Page 1)
Author Topic: LotR sword buying...
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
posted      Profile for Earendil's servant   Email Earendil's servant   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
United Cutlery has the official right to produce the movie replica swords. A lot of people/companies sell their swords, prices differ greatly.

I hope they will make Anduril as well, perhaps after the release of ROTK.

question 1:
Does anyone know if they will?

The 'reforged' blade with new runes, moon, sun and 7 stars is better than the Elendil-Narsil.

I consider buying Glamdring. The cheapest U. Cutl. sword I saw was about 150,-- US dollars.
The cheapest unofficial sword (saw it at ebay) was about 40-50 dollars.

question 2:
Does anybody own the unofficial Glamdring? Do you like it?
It looks a little bit less beautifull than the official sword.

[ 03-01-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Earendil's servant ]

From: Utrecht - Holland | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am also wating for Andúril as well, Andúril is my alias for everything, since many years past now. I would consider it cool to own Andúril as a sword myself. However, if they decide to omit this excellent blade from the third film (is there any actual evidence that it will be there?), then I shall have to content myself with Narsil. Andúril would be cool tho.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
posted      Profile for Earendil's servant   Email Earendil's servant   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anduril!

I am sure Anduril will be in RotK. Because Aragorn carries it clearly. See:
web page

In the book he receives Anduril during their stay in Rivendell, I guess Peter will let Arwen or the rangers (Halbarad) give Elessar his sword, together with the banner Arwen made.

Can you tell me more about the meaning of Anduril (for you)?

What do you think of this idea:
Anduril could also reflect (among other things) the heart of the Numenorean realm in Middle Earth (flame of 'the west'):
Namely a line of cities: Minas Arnor (The sun symbol) Osgiliath (with the main palantir, represented by the star symbols) and Minas Ithil (the moon symbol on the sword). Moon and Sun also go back to the two trees, the origin of the white tree.

I think we have a big chance that Anduril will be produced for sale!

[ 03-01-2003, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: Earendil's servant ]

From: Utrecht - Holland | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the meaning of Andúril is very personal. All I shall say is the meaning "The Flame of the West" is very important to me in my life.

I see the picture. My fear is that they will make it exactly the same as Narsil. From that picture the hilt looks exactly the same, and I dont recall anything being said about runes on the balde...

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My dad just recently got Glamdring...

EDIT: I'm not sure whether it's 'unofficial' or not though, but it's alright...

[ 03-02-2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Altarial ]

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I would really like a battle ready Andúril, wiht a cool sheath to hand it up in my bedroom in. Can you get the sheath that Galadriel gave to Aragorn in Lothlorien?
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
Altarial,
how much did you father pay for the sword? (to distinguish copy from original)

Anduril,
About sheath's, the only beautiful sheath I've seen, goes along with Sting. United Cutlery provides a simple leather sheath for the ranger sword but not for Narsil or glamdring. The copy swords Glamdring, Narsil (and others) do have leather sheats.

But to answer your question, it depends on three uncertainties:

Let's hope that
1) Anduril will be in RotK (I agree with you that they could simply let Narsil stay Narsil...)

2) Anduril will be made by UC after the release
(I asked New Line & UC by mail too do so, allthough that will probably have zero significance)

3) They will make the Galadriel sheat

hmmm... Estel!

By the way: you make me curious by saying:
quote:
For me, the meaning of Andúril is very personal. All I shall say is the meaning "The Flame of the West" is very important to me in my life.
I understand you don't want to share personal stuff, but can you explain some insights in the meaning of the sword in the book?

[ 03-03-2003, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Earendil's servant ]

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Hmm. Thats an interesting question in turn.

Well, I'll give you some appropriate texts to make your own conclusions from here:

The Ring Goes South
quote:
Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West.
Farewell to Lórien
quote:
The blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken, even in defeat.
HoME provides no extra information of significance.

I believe that the meaning of the Flame of the West has many connotations that can be drawn from these texts. You could say that it represents the Valar, from the form of the Sun and Moon, which were deiances against Morgoth in the first age. It could also represetn the forces of the West (referred thus many times) against the forces of the east (ie. Mordor).

The fact that LoTR is set in the Western area of Middle-earth may come into it. Showing that the sword is unique.

Do you have any other thoughts on this matter?

Mormegil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2296

posted      Profile for Mormegil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For cheap, authentic swords, go to www.kultofathena.com

I almost bought a sword somewhere for $185 and found it on Kult of Athena for $95 (but decided not to buy it anyway). I wouldn't buy from anyone else- I doubt very much that you will find them cheaper.

As for me, I'm waiting until someone makes an Anglachel/Gurthang.

From: Nargothrond | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why shouldn't the hilt be the same?

It would be appropriate, and easier just to use the original hilt... I mean, come on, would you throw away the original hilt made in Numenor? I sure as hell wouldn't. And all it ever says is "Reforged" or "Made whole"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"'Kill!' shouted Ford. He shouted it at his towel.
The towel lept up out of Harl's hands.
This was not because it had any motive force of its own, but because Harl was so startled at the idea that it might."
--Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
Tensen_Vil,

You're right about the hilt. Of course it remains the same. But since the moviepicture doesn't show much detail, we cannot see new runes and symbols the elves of Rivendell added (mainly on the blade, but perhaps also some changes on the hilt).
We just feared that PJ would (for reason of simplification) leave out 'Anduril'. He was also careless with the origin of the hobbitswords (PJ let Aragorn give some swords in stead of letting the hobbits find the swords of Arnor, which prove very usefull).
We'll know if Anduril hits the movie & production at the end of this year...

Eruannë,

They're cheap but not 'the cheapest', f.e. Glamdring you can buy elsewhere 30 dollars cheaper (Ebay). Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Anduril,

quote:
I believe that the meaning of the Flame of the West has many connotations that can be drawn from these texts. You could say that it represents the Valar, from the form of the Sun and Moon, which were deiances against Morgoth in the first age. It could also represetn the forces of the West (referred thus many times) against the forces of the east (ie. Mordor).

The fact that LoTR is set in the Western area of Middle-earth may come into it. Showing that the sword is unique.

Thanks for your comment on this matter. I will share some of my thoughts about Anduril. Although don’t think they will present anything new to you.
I agree about the sun and the moon. (As I also mentioned above, in talking about the two trees and the white tree). The stars also refer to the valar (Yavanna). The stars, especially Earendil, were loved by the elves, and were symbols of hope. The stars link the Valar, the elves, and the edain.
Elessar (talking of stars…) carried a sword reforged by the son of Earendil, his kin from far, his sheath was made by a provider of the light of Earendil, and the sword fought together with the white Olorin, the dreamgiving maiar who continually rekindled the hope of Estel. So the three elvenring bearers were also all in some way connected to Anduril.
The seven stars, referring to the palantiri (made in Aman) of Gondor and Arnor, were a gift from the kin of Galadriel to Numenor.

So indeed the sun, stars and moon refer to the valar and the elves.
I do not agree with your second option, that the sun represents the forces of the west and the moon the forces of the Sauron (east). Above I mentioned the possibility that the line of symbols on the blade also referred to the line of cities in the heart of the remainder of the Numenorean realm in the West ME, Minas Arnor (sun), Osgiliath (stars) and Minas Ithil (moon).
Since Ithil become Morgul, one could argue that the moon could refer to the forces of evil, or even to the forces of the east (in contrast with the flame of the west).
But the moon is so pure and hated by Sauron and his forces, that it almost impossible to state such a thing. Sun and moon are both to good (valar origin) to be confused with evil, even the flowers in Lorien, refer to sun ànd moon…

I think the west in ‘flame of the west’ refers to (1) the lost west (Numenor) to which one of the stars (palantir of Amon Beraid) is still looking (in vain). The fire of Numenor has almost perished, but a spark remains in the heart of the last of Kings; (2) the west of ME, Arnor and Gondor (as you said).
Flame (in my opinion) refers to the ‘good fire’, opposed by the evil fire of Mount doom were the ring came from. A similar flame fight we see at the bridge of Khazad dum, ‘flame of Anor’ (imperishable flame) against the ‘flame of Udun’ (flame of darkness).
Narsil and the one Ring were two important and symbolic weapons in the battle between west and east. Narsil won by the hand of Isildur, but was broken. This ‘problem’ is now secured by the sheath of Galadriel.
The symbolic meaning of Narsil/Anduril is shown in the first encounter of Elessar and Sauron (the palantir of Ortanc, one of the stars of Anduril) during which Aragorn shows the hated sword and wins the struggle for dominance over the stone. 2-0 for Anduril.
3-0 will soon be scored when the flame of the west comes by ship accompanied by the words of Elendil. 4-0 at Dagorlad episode II.

Well, not everything above is quite usefull/well argued. Just some ideas.

For me at least one thing has changed at: I think I'll wait with buying Glamdring, until I know if Anduril will be made. Anduril might not be as old as Glamdring (being made for Turgon in Gondolin), but for us mortals Andurils meaning is much deeper!

I'm sorry that this thread treathens to become ill-placed, since the discussion become more than just auctionnews. Still I hope to learn more about the experiences of swordpurchasers (especially concerning the imitation Glamdring).

[ 03-04-2003, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Earendil's servant ]

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I do not agree with your second option, that the sun represents the forces of the west and the moon the forces of the Sauron (east).
_____

If you read my post closely, you will see that I actually said:

You could say that it represents the Valar, from the form of the Sun and Moon, which were defiances against Morgoth in the first age.

[]
_____

I also think that you may be reading a little too far into the inscriptions. I always thought that the stars only represented Gondor, as in the seven stars on the gondor banner of heraldry, whatever these may symbolise I consider irrelevant, as they have by this time generally seen to become from the banner of Gondor, regardless from whence the first idea came.

[ 03-04-2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Anduril ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Why is the rum gone?"
"One: It is a despicable drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels. And two: I've created a column of smoke that rises a thousand feet in the air. My father's ships will be combing the area. Do you think there is even a chance they won't see it?"
".... but why is the rum gone?"

This is not advertising! Don't you dare click on this link to my forum... ;)

Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
Ok, understood you wrong! sorry 'bout that!
Maybe I make to much of it anyway. I just like dreaming away...
Good that the namebearer can correct me on the sword...

ES

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

[]
Golden Evenstar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2352

posted      Profile for Golden Evenstar   Email Golden Evenstar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry....not much time. Is there a web site where the swords can be seen with their description???

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. Farewell!...Aragorn

From: Rivendall | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The swords that are currently available are here. These are the cheapest prices too - I saved the cost of shipping plus, over other sites selling identical swords.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Golden Evenstar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2352

posted      Profile for Golden Evenstar   Email Golden Evenstar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, SSA. They are wonderful!!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. Farewell!...Aragorn

From: Rivendall | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I know it's ot canon, but I figured i'd post it here anyways...

From the MERP book 'Treasures of Middle Earth': "Its blade is engraved with a design of seven stars between a rayed sun and a crescent moon, representing Elendil, Anarion, and Isildur, respectively..."(Treasures... 7)

Take it with as big a grain of salt as you wish. Just thought I should put it up.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"'Kill!' shouted Ford. He shouted it at his towel.
The towel lept up out of Harl's hands.
This was not because it had any motive force of its own, but because Harl was so startled at the idea that it might."
--Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
Thanks Tensen_vil, you're information just cracked my already week argumentation! []
Still it's nice to dream of other insights...

ES

Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Earendil's servant:

My dad actually got the one he has now for free because he had to send the first one back (it got damaged in the mail and the handle was loose).

Originally he paid about $90 Canadian.

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
Anduril!

Good news for you. I just received an answer from United Cutlery. It seems you will be able to buy your own Anduril, see the email beneath.

quote:

Dear Mr. Horjus,

Thank you for the note. I apologize for my delay in responding.

In regards to your question, yes, we will be making the sword Anduril. I do
not have a specific availability date but it should be timed around the
release of the third movie.

If we can be of any further assistance please let us know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
Mike Petlitzer

[] [] [] [] [] []
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard that United Cutlery was making replicas of Herugrim, Gúthwinë and Éowyn's sword, but haven't seen or heard anything about them since then. Was it just a rumor or has it been confirmed? I'd love to get my hands on Herugrim, though I haven't really seen a very good shot of Gúthwinë yet, so I can't say if I do or don't want that one either...
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Ah, excellent! Thankyou for that Earendil's servant, I should probably start saving now []
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

Any idea how much Anduril will be selling for?
Earendil's servant
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3282
Altarial,

I have no idea, but it will probably be a little bit more expensive than Narsil. Just wait and see...

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » LotR sword buying... (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help