Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » Advice for a novice book collector (Page 1)
Author Topic: Advice for a novice book collector
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I am considering starting a book collection of rare as well as new and interesting books.

Naturally I would like to have books by Tolkien as part of this lifetime collection.

I need advice from everyone young and old about the following:

1) The places to look for these rare editions and books: websites, shops... etc

2) Advice on what books must be a part of my Tolkien collection (any prefernces, any "must haves")

3) An elaborate discussion on various editions so I might choose the right one, also provide the amount they would be likely to be priced at.

Eagerly waiting for advice []

[ 07-08-2002, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would try second-hand/used book stores. When I lived in Hawaii I found a 1st edition 1st printing of UT and a 1st edition 9th printing of silm and one such place and got the silm for ~$7.50* and the UT for $6

*can't remember exactly but it was arround there

[ 03-11-2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Thank you Fingolfin!

I did notice that you had mentioned your find in another thread in this forum. Glad to have it here too. That is what I am looking for: a single thread with a lot of information of where people must look and what they should consider a reasonable and valuable investment. There are a lot of small threads here that contain bits and peices of what I am looking for.

Continue to post any valuable advice you have for me and the rest of us people who are beginning a collection of Tolkien's many books.

[ 03-11-2002, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Number One, most important thing is to educate yourself. You must have a good idea of what things are worth from comparing auctions, used books stores and other suppliers. You have ot know what to look for. Identifying First Editions can be pretty tricky. Something might even say First Edition and be a 17th printing, and not be committing any type of fraud!

Condition is a key indicator. The difference in price between a 1st American edition of The Hobbit in excellent shape vs. poor shape is over $8,000.

Barnes and Noble has a large number of used book affiliates, and you can find just about any book you want there. But you will pay a great deal for it! It is a good place to work on educating yourself on what is available and how much they are going for.

Watch the on-line Auctions, eBay has many available and you can get reasonable prices on things. Again, don't pay more for it then you can buy it for from a used book dealer!

Bargains are to be found in used book stores, rummage/tag sales and other out of the way locations where the owners are not knowledgable and don't know what they have.

Note: This is NOT the time to be starting a Tolkien book collection. The movies have raised an incredible level of awareness, and sellers are trying to capitalize on the hype. I'll bet prices have doubled in the last six months!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I was waiting for you to find your way here Marcho. Many thanks!

I definitely am not going to try to search for the Hobbit or LOTR. I am starting with more inexpensive collectibles.

E.g.

I could find a UK first edition of Unfinished tales for $65 and a UK first edition of Smith and Wotton Major for $100

I have also started researching auctions at amazon, e-bay and barnes and noble to educate myself but find it hard to evaluate the parameters like condition which are subjective.

Also I don't know of any book shops in LA of the kind you mentioned where the owner is not likely to know of the value, do you have any idea how I can go about finding these places?

Thanks a lot!

Lug

Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

posted      Profile for Telperion   Email Telperion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
what about tolkien translations, Lug?
you could collect, say, LOTR translations in all sorts of languages. it's been translated to more than 30 languages IMO.

From: Israel, North East of Tel Aviv | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Interesting point Telp, but I doubt whether I could ever read any big book by Tolkien in any other language. It just wouldn't feel right. But collecting it would definitely be interesting and again LA may not be a good place to start. Will try to post something here about translated editions. Fell free to tell us where to purchase them.
Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

posted      Profile for Telperion   Email Telperion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, some are easy - you can jump to amazon.de for a german copy. and for other languages you can just ask non-americans here to mail you copies of the translation from the country where they live in.

actually, there's gonna be a problem giving them the money to buy that copy. ideas?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The one had leaves of dark green that beneath were as shining silver, and from each of his countless flowers a dew of silver light was ever falling, and the earth beneath was dappled with the shadow of his fluttering leaves. Telperion the one was called in Valinor, and Silpion, and Ninquelótë, and many other names;
The Silmarillion, "Of the Beginning of Days"

From: Israel, North East of Tel Aviv | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, international money transfers are a pain in the @$$. You can purchase them through the US Postal service, but they can cost as much as $15, depending on the country they are going to. Credit Card transactions are pretty easy with someone like Amazon.de and the Credit Card usually gives you a decent exchange rate. Cashing foreign checks cost a high transaction fee.

Trading is a pretty decent way to go. I've used PayPal with some individuals, too. Actual cash, though risky in one respect, is actually not bad, since you can exchange it at most banks and many hotels. The rates vary, of course, but it works okay.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Marcho: How about giving me some feedback on these
E.g.

I could find a UK first edition of Unfinished tales for $65 and a UK first edition of Smith and Wotton Major for $100

Thanking you in advance,

Fortress of Sauron

Roll of Honor Boromir's Woman
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1528

posted      Profile for Boromir's Woman   Email Boromir's Woman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is a gigantic and old bookstore in Portland, OR called Powell's. It has used, old, rare, as well as new editions of EVERYTHING. They claim to be the largest new and used bookstore in the world, and note the condition of all used copies on their website.

Seek them here. Powell's City of Books

Ex.They have a Smith of Wootton Major Hardcover 1st ed. U.S. for $45.
AND...a very rare 2nd edition, 1st revised ed. of the LOtR for.....$3000. Tolkien was asked to revise the book in order to secure the American copyright which was in jeopardy due to the publication of a pirated paperback edition. In the summer of 1965 he corrected some inaccuracies in the text and an index was added and issued in this new edition.

EDIT: Wow! also a $25,000. 1st ed. UK of The Hobbit

[ 03-21-2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Boromir's Woman ]

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
when they say "first edition" does that mean "first edition first printing" or simply "first edition"?
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Boromir's Woman
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1528

posted      Profile for Boromir's Woman   Email Boromir's Woman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't noticed anything about the printing in their descriptions. You would have to call and ask.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

BW: I'll surely peruse that site this weekend. But the difference in cost between First American Editions and First UK editions can be phenomenal, yes the first US edition of Smith and Wootton Major sells easily for around $40-$50.

Fingy: The quotes I gave I believe are a first printing, because I got it from an expert and he confirmed that.

Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

what's the difference between 'first edition' and 'first printing'?
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Ah well, here goes... This is from an online source:
quote:

According to bibliophile Rebecca Hanneman, an edition refers to all copies of a book printed from the same typeset. A printing, or impression, refers to all copies of the book printed at one specific time within an edition. Thus, the same edition could have multiple printings that span several years.

To a book collector, the phrase "first edition" refers to a book that is part of the first printing of the first edition -- a true first in every sense of the word

Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

[] understood []
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Thats my copyright signoff. Now dont you copy it!!! []
Roll of Honor Nuinamarthion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1945

posted      Profile for Nuinamarthion   Author's Homepage   Email Nuinamarthion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You might wanna check out www.tolkientown.com, they have great collections of Tolkien things.

And...there is also...www.talkingabouttolkien.com/books.html (my site!) it doesn't have everything, but it has recommendations and complete charts of HoME, both US and UK editions.

The must-have's(non-Middle-earth), IMO: The Tolkien Reader; The Monsters and the Critics; Letters from Father Christmas.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I might have seen that one before. I doubt it has any old books.

I'll check your site out though. Thanks []

Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What old books have you got so far, Lug?
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Not any old books yet, but I invested in the deluxe editions of the Hobbit, LOTR and Silm. Expensive!! []

--------

By the way I know exactly why you posted here you evil $#%^^%$@ [] [] []

Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna finish my exams []
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I will start a collection of good books. I already have quite a few good books, in one sence, but mostly they're crappy in the sense that they are cheap paperback, bent up things.
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manveri
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1806

posted      Profile for Manveri   Author's Homepage   Email Manveri   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone here would be interested in the things that i have

here is what i have that i can exchange it :
-Lord of the rings vol.1 , vol. 2 and vol.3 ( Brazilian version)
-Lord of the rings complete edition : two different covers to choose (Brazilian version)
-The Hobbit (Brazilian version)
-The Silmarillion (Brazilian version)
-Unfinished Tales (Brazilian Version)
-Posters (brazilian version)
- Sci-fi news magazine from Brazil issue of april :with legolas on the cover and inside with an article about the two towers.
-O Mundo Fantástico de Tolkien (the fantastic world of Tolkien) this magazine here in Brazil is monthly and is already in the 4th issue.
-Premiere magazine (Portugal edition) with frodo on the cover and inside a big article about the movie.
-Herói (Hero magazine from Brazil ) magazine with frodo on the cover and inside an article about the movie.
-special edition of the american online cd from Brazil with trailers, wallpapers, screensavers, photos from the movie , all this in portuguese.
-Bubble gum with lord of the rings cards (brazilian version).

From: Brazil, São Paulo City | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » Advice for a novice book collector (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help