Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » At Auction: Quickpost cover, SR1400 (Page 1)
Author Topic: At Auction: Quickpost cover, SR1400
Will Whitfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 93
posted      Profile for Will Whitfoot   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At auction: One used Shire Post envelope and letter. Offered by a private collector who wishes to remain anonymous.

In the story "Bridge Inn at Stonebows" (continuing at the Prancing Pony) Will Whitfoot received a letter last night (in the story). This auction is for THE ACTUAL LETTER that he received!

The auction lot: One envelope and contents.
The envelope, 154mm x 84mm in size. Diagonally laid buff paper. Sent via Quickpost (the Shire Post equivalent of Express mail) from Springdell, South Farthing to Stock, East Farthing. Cover bears one Half-penny green on the obverse paying inside rate between farthings, and two one-shilling browns on the reverse paying quickpost surcharge between farthings. Stamps are tied by a brown "Springdell South F." cancel and manuscript dated "12 Foreyule, SR 1400". A black "Stock, East F." marking dated "FY13 SR1400" indicates delivery the next day. The "QUICKPOST" marking on the obverse is slightly smeared, but clearly readable. A wax seal is intact on reverse, impressed by a coin from Far Harad. (Tibet) Cleanly slit open at top, overall condition is Very-Fine plus. The letter itself is written on thin handmade paper, 213mm x 153mm in blue ink, datelined 13 Foreyule, Springdell. A fabulous addition to any advanced collection of Middle Earth postal history.
The auction lot may be viewed at:
http://shirepost.com/Quickpost01_Front.html http://shirepost.com/Quickpost01_Back.html http://shirepost.com/Quickpost01_Letter.html

Auction to begin today, Sunday March 18, at 5:00 PM CST. Auction to continue until one week (7 days or 168 hours) has passed without a rise in bid. Bids are to be placed by posts in this thread. Bids are to be in Shire Pence (i.e. US dollars) with minimum rise of one farthing (25 cents) and minimum opening bid of one Shire penny ($1). Winner to pay an additional $1 for delivery anywhere in the world.

Payments accepted in Shire postage, US federal reserve notes, gold or silver bullion, check, Money Order, or PayPal.

Good luck Bidding!

Dr. Barlidoc G. Stonemould
Philatelic Rarities LTD.
#16 Sandy Lane
Michel Delving, West Farthing
The Shire, Middle Earth

This message has been edited by Will Whitfoot on 03-18-2001 at

From: remove | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll open for 2 Pence.

------------------
Marcho Blackwood
#16 Brookshade Close
Bindbale, North Farthing
The Shire

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Whitfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 93
posted      Profile for Will Whitfoot   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
...Going.......

Her it is, if no other bids are received in the next twnety four hours the auction lot goes to Marcho Blackwood for two Shire pence.

------------------
Will Whitfoot, PM
#1 Delving Street (Just next to the Leaning Tree)
Shire Central P.O.
Waymoot, West Farthing
The Shire

From: remove | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Whitfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 93
.... going ....

Just eight hours left for somebody to trump Marcho's bid of two pence ($2)

Do you folks like the idea of running real auctions on this board, in the Bag-end auctions forum? I posted WGW privately on the matter and got no response. This could be a continuing event... if there is interest ------------------

------------------
Will Whitfoot, PM
Shire Central P.O.
Waymoot, West Farthing
The Shire

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I never responded because I didn't know what to say about this. I mean, auctions are fine, but what you're selling can be offensive. Personally, I just look at it and shake my head and wonder what the attraction is to creating fake stamps.

Does the world really need fake Tolkien paraphernalia? Hobbies are one thing, but spreading this stuff around the world could be quite annoying to Tolkien fans.

What if I bought a box of white crystals and started advertising them as replicas of the crystal given to Frodo by Arwen? What about fake letters from Saruman to Lotho? A fake Battle of Bywater plaque?

Making this stuff for your own amusement is fine. Auctioning it off and spreading it around is what is offensive. It's hard enough finding authentic Tolkien material without having to weed out the 'homemade' stuff.

If you're planning on a constant stream of offerings "by a private collector who wishes to remain anonymous", I would have to say no. Do whatever you want on your own site, but not very many people are interested in the study of fake Hobbit postmarks. To use Minas Tirith as a vehicle for pushing 'authentic' letters on an often unassuming public is insulting.

I'll let you advertise your own site if there is something new. In one forum. Once. You can mention whatever you're trying to push and even post pictures. However, you cannot use my forums for holding your auctions. If you want to offer auctions of items on your site, then you had better figure out a way to do it.

I never had a problem with your posts before. I never answered your private messages because I never wanted to annoy you by telling you what I thought of the whole mess. I didn't have anything nice to say, so I felt I should say nothing. I tolerated the thread about the 'five rings'. I've tolerated many things in silence, waiting to see how far you would push them. However, I can't stand by and let you assume my silence gives you any authority or permission.

If your site is small and has very few visitors, I think you may have to get used to that. The way you infiltrate any thread you reply to with repeated mentions of letters or the Shire Post is getting a little old. I'm not going to tolerate much more. I've given you some latitude and you've taken advantage of it and more. You can't keep posting here with the almost-sole intention of pushing the Shire Post's agenda.

However, when you post without this agenda in mind, your posts are fun and a welcome addition to Minas Tirith. For the most part, you have been an upstanding citizen. For that reason, I'm not suggesting any drastic actions or punishments of any kind. Consider this a stern warning to rethink the boundaries you have set for yourself here and take care not to come close to crossing them again.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Whitfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 93
Dear White Gold Wielder and the whole Minas Tirith gathering:

Wow WGW! I'm absolutely shocked that you feel that way! I would rather have heard this in a private message long ago. Since you upbraid me publicly I will respond publicly.

Yes, OF COURSE, the stamps are "fake" as you put it... I would prefer to refer to them as "fantasy", but it makes little difference. Yes, I make them. I have been doing this since 1989, and while I make them myself, I also never back-date a postmark, and Shire postage is ALWAYS good as currency for any service or product from me. They are "real" in the sense that they are authentic issues from Shire Post, and I am Shire Post. The quantities produced as posted on my website are accurate. These are "real" collectibles in a way that little metal figurines will NEVER be! I also, by the way, run auctions on ebay of "real" postal history artifacts, and know what I am about.

The entire POINT of Shire Post is to create authentic looking documents, and yes, they may very well include letters from Saruman to Lotho at some point in time (I acutally had not thought of that, good idea!). The process is collaborative, and folks can make their own documents and letters to send through Shire Post to gain markings etc.

I am very sorry that you do not find this sort of thing amusing or intriguing. Many others have. The Tolkien Centenary committee found it interesting enough to have me create the inner envelopes for the 350 official invitations for that august gathering. So what is "authentic" and what is "homemade" is a matter of opinion and art appreciation.

I think it's obvious that I am often speaking tongue-in-cheek when I refer to "the actual letter..." etc. This is just a way of taking the fantasy to another level and increasing the enjoyment. I really am sorry you find this offensive. I'd really like to know how many others do also.

I'm sorry that you never understood that Shire Post is not about the web-site. I tried to explain it early on, but never heard from you again until just now. I am not trying to promote my site over yours... they do not compete. Yours is an electronic message board, and mine is about paper and ink. I was, in fact, planning to ask about setting up a forum at Minas Tirith for Shire Post rather than have to set up my own message board. It is now obvious that this idea would not be well received. But, this is your board, and I will respect that.

So, I will declare Marcho Blackwood the winner in this one, and you will not be pestered by any more auctions from me. In fact, since you seem to find my character and manner of speaking offensive, after I pay my respects to the residents at the various forums and threads I have been visiting, you will likely not be hearing from me at all.

Anyone who wishes to contact me may do so privately at my email address:
willwhitfoot@shirepost.com

Good Day to you

------------------
Will Whitfoot, PM
Shire Central P.O.
Waymoot, West Farthing
The Shire

Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

WOW

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
..."wow"?
Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, is somewhat of an understatement. I found Minas Tirith entirely because of The Shire Post. My persona is the same in both 'worlds' if you will. I have been registered for quite a number of weeks and been active in numerous threads. I enjoy the trivia threads and have participated in discussions of many types. I hope I have added value to the 'collective.'

I am a philatelist and have been for over thirty years. My collections have won awards at the national level and I have been a member of both the American Topical Association and the American Philatelist Society for over twenty years. The Shire Post is, in the language of a philatelist, a 'Cinderella Post.' It is recognized by the stamp collecting community for exactly what it is, a fairy tale creation that adds interest and depth to the hobby. One aspect of a Cinderella Post is to provide an introduction to the world of philately for those individuals that might not discover it other wise. Will Whitfoot has created one of the few Cinderella Posts that can actually be used to send mail to other individuals. And while I can't display these items in a 'serious' exhibit, I expect one day that I may be able to share the fun of this in a single frame exhibit, that may actually attract a great deal of attention.

The combination of two worlds, that of Tolkien and that of philately, have already proven a boon to me. My daughters have had an interest in The Hobbit since I read it to them last summer. Their young age prevents me from feeling they are quite ready for LotR, so I have been searching for ways to keep their interest. They have not, to date, shown much interest in my hobby, but the registration with The Shire Post has opened up the world of philately to them in ways that I couldn't have done directly. They take each envelope and trace its route through the map of the Shire. Gee! Now they're learning how maps work! For this I am grateful.

I, for one, will certainly miss Will Whitfoot's presence on this board. He has provided some interesting observations, insight and shared many aspects of himself and his beliefs. Hats off to his imagination and the efforts he has made. And who knows? He may appear under another pseudonym to share his experiences with us. I certainly hope so.

------------------
Marcho Blackwood
#16 Brookshade Close
Bindbale, North Farthing
The Shire

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame he feels he has to react this way, but I stand by what I wrote. I found his constant mentioning of his site and niche interests to be annoying at best, and could not tolerate his using Minas Tirith for his own agenda. Many people have tried to usurp Minas Tirith for their own purposes. I felt this was a most subtle way, yet still overstepping bounds. The holding of an auction of his organization's item was something that should have been done through his site. Advertising is one thing, taking advantage of my site is another. With the suggestion that this could be 'a continuing event', I had to step in and put a stop to this.

I left him plenty of room to stay and did my best to not insult him on my part. The fact that he wishes to leave only lends support to my point, since it appears he is only leaving since this place no longer serves his purposes. I never thought that his 'character and manner of speaking' were 'offensive'. I attempted to praise him for the fine contributions he has made here.

Perhaps once emotions settle, he will realize he is still honestly welcome here. I never wanted to drive him away. This has been slowly escalating, and I felt I had to deal with it firmly. If he finds there is nothing here of value for him now that he can't do anything he wants, then I wish him good luck in finding what he is looking for.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 238

posted      Profile for Nenya   Email Nenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I feel like I've been listening at the door.

I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry that you (WGW and Will) couldn't solve this in a better way. I don't like bad endings, and I will miss Will, too.

From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If I were an elf, I would write a song
Sad you guys couldn't solwe the problem in any other way

From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Whitfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 93
Just stopping in to pay my respects at various forums. Sorry you feel that my withdrawal proves your point WGW. But I found the form, timing, and tone of your response offensive. We should have discussed this privately. I posted you more than once seeking dialogue with no response. Your excuse that you were taught "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" simply doesn't hold water. Your public lambaste on the public forum was more in the spirit of Grima Wormtongue. The graciousness and character of the host sets the standards for his guests. Back-handed compliments whilst twisting the knife is perhaps the most socially egregious form of insincerity.
As to why I am leaving... I will not sit and eat cold shoulder at the table of a host who plainly and openly finds my words and actions offensive.

Good day to you sir

------------------
Will Whitfoot, PM
Shire Central P.O.
Waymoot, West Farthing
The Shire

This message has been edited by Will Whitfoot on 03-26-2001 at

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

This was more than a private matter. I have more issues in my mind at any time than just the current one. My response had to address all my concerns on the matter and I judged that this response was needed, in word, style, and presentation.

Whenever you spoke to me privately, it was it repeatedly invite me to join your organization. To that, I had no response for the reasons I stated earlier.

There was never any private communication where you asked permission to further the Shire Post's business in my forums. It seems you either had no idea you might have been acting presumptuous, or you knew exactly what you were doing. Either way, I never felt you had pushed it far enough for me to act. The promise of being the Shire Post's home for auctions was pushing it too far.

Perhaps I could have left my personal opinion on the Shire Post out and still made my point about the auctions. However, my concerns covered more than just the auction itself, and I needed to address these as well as send a general message that this is not the place for the business of other sites. Also, since I was not the only one who feels this way, I felt I needed to end the spread of Shire Post agenda in particular.

I was offended by your actions. You found my response offensive.

I offer a reprimand and forgiveness. You choose to remain offended.

As Gandalf said, "A king will have his way in his own hall, be it folly or wisdom." If humility is not within you to accept your blame in this, then I fear you will follow the path of Turin.

As far as voicing my own opinion about the Shire Post, I have never restricted anyone from posting their honest opinion about anything, so why must I encourage unwelcome ideas with my silence? You have the right to state any opinion about me, and you have exercised this right. Can there be no co-existing of conflicting ideas? Can you not post to the hundreds of people here without worrying about my personal opinion? Do you not believe my offer of forgiveness and lack of retribution?

If so, then I would have to say that you have made yourself unwelcome here. If you cannot survive conflict with members of a community, then I doubt you will find a permanent home in any community.

Farewell Will Whitfoot, master of doom by doom mastered.

Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, if you dont want people auctioning stuff like that here then what exactly is this forum for? what is suppose to be auctioned here?

------------------
You cannot pass. I am a servant of the secret fire, Wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow! You cannot pass.

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Dernhelm
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 234

posted      Profile for Dernhelm   Email Dernhelm   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, WGW. I am honestly shocked and terribly saddened at what I have just had the displeasure to read. You may have had a lesson to teach others about promoting their own, private agendas on your site, but I believe your "throw was ill aimed." I find Will's actions completely justified in light of your scathing posts (to admit that they are otherwise is propesterous and unthinkable). I'm sure you've already heard an earful about this conflict resolution, but I must have my say -- a simple "no auctions will be held thenceforth by order of the Steward (and Moderator)" would have sufficed; 'twould have spared these many ill feelings and kept one of the brighter (and more entertaining) stars of Minas Tirith in our midst.
And as to your remark:"If you cannot survive conflict with members of a community, then I doubt you will find a permanent home in any community"; while true, I would argue that there are limits. You wield a great deal of power -- this IS your site after all, and "official reprimands" are of a sort that are difficult to swallow. If it had been one of us who had told Mr. Whitfoot that his site/product was bunk, I'm sure he wouldn't have taken it as closely to heart. Use your power wisely, my Steward.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Dernhelm on 03-26-2001 at </font>

This message has been edited by Dernhelm on 03-26-2001 at

From: PA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

It's difficult for me to explain my actions on this matter fully. This seems to have come out of nowhere, but it has been brewing in the back of my mind for some time. I have tried my best to make you appreciate every factor I had to deal with, but I could re-word my explainations all day and someone would still either not understand or have the opinion that I was in the wrong.

As far as what this forum is for, it has always been for selling or trading of items between members. It is not for members who already have mechanisms in their own organizations for doing this, but decide to push their product over here and take advantage of this site's popularity. If you cannot see the differences in this, then I don't know what else to say.

I don't apologise for anything I wrote, since I still believe every word. My opinion hasn't changed and neither has my resolve on this matter. This includes my attempts at reconciliation. If people choose to heed some things I say and ignore others, what can I do?

There are all kinds of people in this world. I don't know Mr. Whitfoot well enough to know what sort of man he is. I do know that we all have our own problems and fears to overcome in life and we all handle them in our own way. This means that often, due to one party or both, conflicts cannot be solved between people. We can only hope to stay true to ourselves while making an honest effort. I believe I have done this.

Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
True. It is hard to swallow an "official reprimand" It is embarasing, I know. But I also think that Will was a little hasty in his assumption and his decision. Being scolded or simply being told the rules is not a reason to do something this drastic. I know that it doesnt seem all that drastic, but we are a comunity and some of us have known eachother through this site for a long time. I will miss Will Whitfoot, but he has left of his own accord and it is not fair to blame this on the Steward of our community or on the "official reprimand" put upon the shoulders of our lost friend Will Whitfoot.

------------------
Anar caluva tielyanna!

This message has been edited by Warg on 03-26-2001 at

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nenya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 238

posted      Profile for Nenya   Email Nenya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't blame any of them either or I blame them both. I can't help thinking that both WGW and Will takes this a little bit to serious. Like two old proud stubborn fellows (Denethor comes in to my mind)

Once again I'm sorry that you couldn't solve this in a better way.

This message has been edited by Nenya on 03-26-2001 at

From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor KingRichard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 26

posted      Profile for KingRichard   Email KingRichard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents -

I have always viewed Will Whitfoot, through the messages I've read, as an eccentric kind of fan. As I recall, he has written a lot of messages in which he seems to take on the persona of an actual Hobbit. This, while occasionally fun, can be a little annoying if continued. To put it plainly, "Some of us just read the books, folks. We don't want to actually be hobbits." Or perhaps the infamous William Shatner quote, "Get a life, willya people?" would apply here.

WGW, as I have come to know him, is a pretty "serious" fan. He does not even suffer a lot of the "official" Tolkien collectibles gladly, such as when they tried to market a version of Aragorn's sword. Therefore, I could have imagined his response at homemade "Shire Post" letters.

That obviously does not mean that they are bad or irrelevant or stupid in any objective sense. I took a look at the images Will posted for the auction and I thought they were pretty neat. They looked well crafted and lovingly put together. A nice fun piece of fantasy. Nothing to get worked up about.

No one likes getting their face rubbed in something. Will Whitfoot probably spent a lot of time and energy and love of Tolkien in creating those letters, stamps, and the whole lore of the Shire Post. That is something to be commended, even if you don't care for it. When I see stuff like that I just say, God Bless those crazy fans.

However, a lot of people seem to take Tolkien's writings as seriously or as piously as a religion. From that viewpoint, these letters could be viewed as offensive as a souviner Jesus finger bone, or a Franklin Mint Holy Grail would.

Now, I'm not saying that this is necessarily how WGW feels (I wouldn't want to assume) but it seems as though this was the general kind of feeling that he had towards the letters.

That, and the fact that Will (out of innocent fun of fantasy or not) kind of incourages the idea that these are "authentic" items. (Whatever that may mean) That kind of thing can stick in the craw of people who have a more reverent attitude toward the books.

These factors, combined with Will's innocent "bumbling" by overstepping some of his rights as a Minas Tirith citizen, have created this whole mess.

Having said that I do think that WGW should have settled this matter with Will privately and made a more general and more benign annoucement (or pronouncement) regarding his feelings toward these kinds of auctions, and the way he wants them to be conducted.

That's why I think that WGW's combination 'punch & offer of handshake' was the wrong way to go.

I think the reason it turned out this way though was because WGW overreacted in the first letter, then rethought the matter and felt that he had to give some leway but didn't want to look like he was completely capitulating.

But in the end, WGW's main point was a valid one. That's what makes it hard for him to see why he should apologize to Will for the way he delivered it.

All Hail,
KingRichard

This message has been edited by KingRichard on 03-26-2001 at

From: U.S.A. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to miss Mr. Whitfoot very much. In my eyes this message board has lost one of our best members. I agree that this whole matter should have been settled privately. I don't see why WGW chose to state his opinion openly rather than responding to Will in the private messages. And since WGW only seemed to put down Will's hard-work, pride, and joy, it definitly should've been said privately. WGW said Personally, I just look at it and shake my head and wonder what the attraction is to creating fake stamps. Does the world really need fake Tolkien paraphernalia? Hobbies are one thing, but spreading this stuff around the world could be quite annoying to Tolkien fans. I completely understand why Will would've been offended and leave. I, and others (Tolkien fans) admired Will's work and didn't find it annoying. There were no complaints from any of the Minas Tirith members regarding his stamps.

And if you are offended by Will using this forum to auction off his Shire Stamps (btw, they're very much Tolkien related) then what in the world is this forum for? The blurb underneath the title to this forum, Bag End Auctions, is Buy and sell your Tolkien treasures or mathoms here. I don't understand how Will violated any rules. And especially if you never warned him before when you started getting annoyed, how could he have known what was going through your mind? It seems that due to your lack of private messages to him, he was innocently unaware of any harm he was doing (if any..) and he wasn't aware of what you thought about the whole matter. Proven when he says Wow WGW! I'm absolutely shocked that you feel that way! I would rather have heard this in a private message long ago. Instead, he was seemingly scolded and put down publicly. How should he have known? Should he have known?

Mr. Whitfoot doesn't even present his work as a random advertisement such as the Dagorhir one I remember seeing a long time ago. I remember somone even posting a question as to whether or not they're allowed to do that. Someone responded by saying that WGW doesn't seem to care because he doesn't do anything.

There was another advertisement that was actually Tokien related (similar to Mr. Whitfoots) regarding a "Bree Hill" site. You apparently approved of the advertisement because you said Anyway, I don't mind advertisement when the site in question doesn't take away from the goals of Minas Tirith, that is to say Tolkien discussion. I don't see how Will Whitfoot has taken away anything from the goals of Tolkien discussion. In my mind, he only enhances Tolkien's wonderful world.

So anyways, there's my 2,000 cents. Sorry for the long post. And I hope nobody takes any offense because none is intended.
Respectfully,
Roland

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Roland on 03-27-2001 at </font>

This message has been edited by Roland on 03-27-2001 at

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 267

posted      Profile for Whip   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know Will other than from this board and know nothing about his Shire Post. I have been on this board for just a couple weeks and have really been enjoying it. However, the reason I have enjoyed it is because of the wit and imagination of the members, of who Will is certainly foremost. We where so fortunate to have him on this board and I doubt it will hold my interest without him.

I do not know WGW either, but I do recognize; lack of tact, discretion and boorish behavior. To put down a man’s cherished hobby and to do so in public is much more than folly.

WGW, you are either pompous or cruel… I offer you reprimand, perhaps if you asked Will may offer you forgiveness.

From: Bree | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is running way out of hand!
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

I agree, but I would rather have everyone talk this out than keep unresolved issues floating around.

I responded fully and to the best of my ability. People seem to keep harping on poor Will and ignoring what I had to say about it. In case we need in more bluntly stated, I don't believe Will was innocent in this matter. He runs an organization and a website and is also old enough to know what he is doing. I believe he is intelligent enough to know that he was pushing the limits and taking advantage of Minas Tirith.

I dealt with the matter. I don't have the luxury of being always polite. Everyone seems to have a problem with the way I 'spanked' poor Will. I don't feel a dozen lines of a valid opinion couple with a dozen more of reprimand is cruel and unusual punishment. I never cursed or insulted him personally and always simply spoke my opinion. As you all are doing now.

As far as any other questions, it seems people like to read the first few posts and skip to the bottom. I answered every charge in plain English. Unless there is some other question besides 'Why were you so mean?', I don't feel there is much more to say.

Whip
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 267

posted      Profile for Whip   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WGW said I don't have the luxury of being always polite

Civilized people always have the time to be polite.

From: Bree | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Bag End Auctions » At Auction: Quickpost cover, SR1400 (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help