Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Is there an easy way . . .
Author Topic: Is there an easy way . . .
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an easy way to find out about whether an old thread has already covered a topic? Having just read the Sil, and then re-read LotR, I've been thinking. I don't want to re-hash something that has been well-covered, though. []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll guess you've tried the Search link at the upper-right of the page. It works nicely but isn't exactly easy. Using it requires some work weeding through many threads but that only increases your knowledge and interest in other topics. I liken it to reading a dictionary: Look up one word which uses a word in the definition you don't know, looking up that word... Fun.

You could use Google but there could be too much information (and misinformation) found. If you choose that course be sure to use "minastirith.com" (in quotes) in the search so you aren't directed to some other site.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Try scrolling through the Indexes []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks most every topic, be it trivial or major, has been touched upon at one time or another. If we consider new members (or old members) with new, different, or fresh ideas or suppositions, I say “Go for it faithfull".

As Gandalf might say: “Not all rehashing is an evil."

[ 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: The Flammifer ]

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I use the 'Search' function here, limit the search to a particular forum, and select 'Subject Only'. This gives a nice list of topics. You can add a key word to see if that subject has a thread.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everybody! []
Flammifer, if I don't find the topic well-covered, I will start a thread. Otherwise, I might just bump an old one. []

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wetwang mentioned the indexes (which he did a great job with) - there's one for almost every literary forum.
Here's the link to his Index of the Lord of the Rings Forum.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.... the Index.... forgot about that. []

Wetty.... I suppose festering in a bog allowed you to do all this research and compilation? Must have been how you got the nick 'Stinky Peat' [] Appreciated muchly!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Is there an easy way . . .
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help