Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Hello peoples of Minas Tirith! (Page 3)
Author Topic: Hello peoples of Minas Tirith!
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there are members who think that certain kinds of discussion aren't very valuable - there have been discussions of whether an author's interpretation of his own work is of more value than a reader's, for instance, and discussing interpretations of a work is different from discussing details in the text.

Perhaps something like this is the issue here.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[T]here have been discussions of whether an author's interpretation of his own work is of more value than a reader's, for instance . . .
Very diplomatically put.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are many people on this board who write brilliant Tolkien posts. Thorin, Singy, Tuor, Gna, Éoric, Eluchil, Cernunnos, and many, many others, some who post more frequently, some who post less frequently. Many of them are rather new, hence the reason I can't remember their names right now. []

If you like a different kind of board, then great. We're not going to begrudge you that. But it is rude, insulting and inappropriate to say the things you do - rude to WGW, rude to the people who spend a good deal of time posting in the lit threads, and rude to all the citizens of MT.

THAT was my point.

[ 10-06-2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Me, I just thought the comment smacked of arrogance. And that was my first witnessed post of Herendil. So, by way of first impressions, it didn't make a favourable one.

Could be that Herendil was misunderstood in his original critique of this site. But, there was a distinct sense of "I am an expert and thou shalt not disagree with me because I know so much about all things Tolkien. Now on your knees and acknowledge me!"

So, I guess I can understand where Amarie is coming from. I caught the same whiff of hubris that she seems to be responding to.

Whether that was intended "I'm better than you unwashed lot" hubris or "natural talent uncurbed" hubris is another matter. Can't comment on Herendil's personality or character. Don't know Herendil from a bar of soap.

And, I'm probably not going to change that given my pathological aversion to arrogance regardless of whether it is accidental or deliberate.

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Minas Tirith, SumSA
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Good point, Silm... []

At least, though, we're not lulling New SSA into a false sense of complacency by being on our politest, blandest best behaviour... assuming New SSA is New to Minas Tirith, that is. []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Welcome to MT, SSA2. []

And while we're on the subject, I have been SSA for over four years, and I shall be most upset if people start using my real name instead. Just because I sign a few birthday posts with it (and have it in the Name thread) does not mean that you can bandy it about. Grrrr!

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What was that John? Didnt quite catch it!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fool!
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As you wish.
I will continue to refer to you and you only as SSA, then, and this newbie as Gríma.
She hasn't complained about it, so.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Nobody else here is referred to by their real name as opposed to their screen name, so why should I be different?

I of course know that I am "special" (joke, for the literal minded morons on here) but you use my real name in public at your perils. It is bestowed upon a selected few, and used on the board very very selectively.

edit: Typos! LOL

[ 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And once again, Lyra has inadvertently offended SSA.
Good to see things are back to normal.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cate, get over yourself. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Grima, please rename this thread "SSA the 1st's ranting and raving"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

No Glorf, we really need to get the Steward to rename the whole board that. []
Saruman's Secret Agent
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5552
posted      Profile for Saruman's Secret Agent   Email Saruman's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Whatever. Admin can name this thread whatever they want, or even delete it if they wish. The nature of this board has come out quite clear in it. I'll continue to mine and discuss Tolkien's writings here until I can find nothing else that interests me, then I'll be on my way.

Herendil, you seem to be outside this whole "Sauron's Secret Agent" Minas Tirith personality cult clique. Thanks for the info. []

[ 10-07-2006, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Saruman's Secret Agent ]

From: Midwest | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No Glorf, we really need to get the Steward to rename the whole board that. []
[]

quote:
I'll continue to mine and discuss Tolkien's writings here until I can find nothing else that interests me, then I'll be on my way.
Aww... and I was looking forward to an SSA-SSA mud wrestling contest! [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll continue to mine and discuss Tolkien's writings here until I can find nothing else that interests me, then I'll be on my way.
I hope that should keep you occupied for quite a while!

Good to see you "up north" []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

quote:
"Sauron's Secret Agent" Minas Tirith personality cult clique
If ever there was a clique I was not a part of, THAT be one of them.

I still fail to see why people are so attached to made up screen avatars on a message to such an extent that they bandy around proprietal interests, invocations and threats.

Talk about a loss of perspective!

Perhaps they fret because here, just as in real life, they cannot control the actions of others - which includes what avatar handles others use on which occassions. Why they'd want to is a whole other ball of wax.

So, to New SSA, I hope you enjoy the forums up north.

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And, I dare say, I'm quite looking forward to that. I don't remember having read SSA1 in the north ... Oh ! wait ! SSA2 just posted north []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There have been alot of little SSA clones around here. This very blatant one is sad, just sad. []
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Dear me, what a sorry lot you are. I am reminded why I left.

And while nobody will believe me, I have no idea who the Saruman person is - and don't actually care.

Eluchil, I used to post up north - until like many another I was driven out by the know-it-alls. I do my Tolkien posting in happier climes these days.

[ 10-07-2006, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I am rather confuddled. []

Maybe if I get the typical arguements out of the way everyone will go get ice cream and paint rainbows!.....

"People aren't rude up north!"

"Yes they are! They make people such as I feel like fools!"

"You're just touchy!"

"You're insensitive and don't really care what I think!"

"You don't care what I think...so why should I care what you think!"

"Nyah! You're just a sock puppet! Go read your Bible!"

"How dare you call me a hypocrite!"

That was a start, anyway. Whatever...I'm obviously butting in, and obviously need sleep. []

Seriously, though, ataway to scare off the newbie. [] Welcome, Saruman's Secret Agent. I'm sorry your intro thread turned into this, though with your name it was somwhat inevitable... []
I don't post up in the lit threads, for I have little to add. I do read them, however, and HAVE found it enjoyable. If you give it a chance I think you will find it at least somewhat enriching. And, though it may be hard to believe, there are places around that are not constant argue-fests. Please do stick your nose around and join in some random, non-Tolkien discussions! []

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And while nobody will believe me, I have no idea who the Saruman person is - and don't actually care.

Oh, I believe you. I doubt you would pick such an obvious name if you were creating another sock puppet. I don't expect both SSAs are the same person at all. As far as either of them being newbies though.... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Hello peoples of Minas Tirith! (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help