Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Hello peoples of Minas Tirith! (Page 2)
Author Topic: Hello peoples of Minas Tirith!
Saruman's Secret Agent
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5552
posted      Profile for Saruman's Secret Agent   Email Saruman's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is this supposed to be some sort of initiation or something?

Was posting an introduction was the wrong thing to do? I'm beginning to think new p[eople are really not welcome here. Thank you who are sincere for the welcome, and screw the rest of you who think otherwise.

From: Midwest | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gríma, we really do treat newbies shamefully around here.
I apologize for the ill treatment you've had. If you tough it out, though, you'll find that this can be a fun place.
You do need a thick skin, though. Some oldies can be vicious.
Please, be welcome. And let me know if you object to being called Gríma; I'll stop if you want.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was posting an introduction was the wrong thing to do?
No, posting an introduction in the Floating Log is perfectly OK, it's the place where introductions should be posted.
quote:
Let's face it, anyone signing in as "Saruman's Secret Agent" is unlikely to be a stranger to MT.
Not necessarily - could also be a complete stranger to MT.
It's a bit early to tell for sure.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And above is demonstrated why Varna is in the running for the award of "Nicest to Newbs."
From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saruman's Secret Agent - not everything posted is a personal attack, but some certainly is not effusively friendly. I've found that developing a thick hide is invaluable in this place. Also, remembering that you're interacting with people from all over the world helps too. Lots of different personalities, cultures, age groups, language skills, religions and so on means that you'll meet people you find odd, people you like, people you don't etc.

But one thing is for sure, you'll meet all sorts of people you might not ordinarily meet otherwise. For me, at least, that's one of the wonderful things about this place.

Probably seems off putting now but if you stick with it, soon you'll realise what the in-house jokes are and what may have seemed to be an affront is really a jest between other citizens.

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well there you go...

SSA, sorry if I took it as a joke, since you've been named as my sock puppet in another thread. Know that you're welcome to visit Snowdog's Inn for some free drinks and maybe you can tell a tale or two if you want. I love stories! And yes, once you get past the n00b33-nuking things are cool as long as you don't take anything or anyone here seriously.

The most interesting aside in this thread is:
quote:
Hmmm, looks like we need to make more room in the sock drawer... I'll move over to the lingere drawer. [] []
Are you my lingerie-puppet??? [] [] []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

I just read the first post of this intro more carefully (well, it's long, I skimmed it first time) and noticed:
quote:
active but had little talk of Tolkien's writing
That actually could be said to describe this board, too, if you look at the proportions of talk about the books to random talk. Too few of us spend most of our time "up North."
And if Gríma's reason for finding this board was researching the subtleties of Saruman, she has chosen a perfectly reasonable screen name. SSA is not currently very active, so it's possible that her SN was missed by this well-meaning newb.
I do not believe she is a sock-puppet, and I think she could contribute to the board if we give her a chance.
Gríma, don't take any of it seriously. Newb-shooting and sock-puppetry are board traditions, and it doesn't mean you're not wanted.
We want you. To the Lock-Holes, and give her something to keep her quiet! Not. Don't keep quiet; you're very sensible compared to most of the newbs we get 'round here.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm obviously a new citizen here
Hmmm.... []

Lrya, Varna is just one of the nicest people around here altogether, noob or otherwise...

And as for Mr Citizen 3110, I hope you aren't claiming a real license, with a 4 digit number there... [] Just don't go around shooting any real noobs... besides, who ever heard of an elf with a gun?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you my lingerie-puppet???
Sure babe! Whatever floats your boat! [] [] []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only gone for a month or three, and i miss so much controversy []
If anything i don't think this is the old SSA, but someone else on here messin' about...Now who is the culprit behind this shenanigan?

(I've always wanted to use 'shenanigan' [] )

From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saruman's Secret Agent:

Welcome to the board. You seem to have a good attitude towards Tolkien's works. But like LyraLuthien Tinuviel already hinted at, this board is not the best one for discussing them, because its members are less interested in doing so than the members at some other boards. If you want, I could send you a private message with a list of the boards that I think that you should check out. I am "winding down" my activity at this board myself, in order to concentrate more on other boards instead.

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, new SSA - but I respectfully disagree with Herendil, who seems to be a bit disillusioned with this board for his own reasons. We have good discussion in our literary forums, and a good variety of things to discuss.

Enjoy!

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I dare say that I have a better overview of different Tolkien boards, Tolkien fandom activity online and the quality thereof than most people.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Yes, yes, I know that you're far wiser in the Tolkien universe than us mere mortals. []

But you know, a lot of people actually have lives and other things to do than spend hours upon hours writing Tolkien essays.

If you don't, well then, c'est la vie.

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

[] Touche!

Well said! [] []

Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And as for Mr Citizen 3110, I hope you aren't claiming a real license, with a 4 digit number there
[]
[]
[]

*bnag*

DAMN IT!!!

Maybe I will apply...I'd be better than you

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you my lingerie-puppet???
I don't know what this is, but I hope I get one for Christmas [] [] [] !

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe I will apply...I'd be better than you
[] Newb.

*BANG*

[] [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
I'm a denizen. Athene said so.

From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

Amárië:

So members of other Tolkien boards have less of a life than MTers?

I think it is more like they spend a greater share of their spare time on Tolkien than other hobby activities.

And even though one is interested in discussing Tolkien but not that much into Tolkien that one wants to write essays, I do not see why one would not like to choose the board that one thinks is best suited for Tolkien discussion.

And it is not surprising that one of the members of this Tolkien board who actually opposes Tolkien discussion sides with you.

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

quote:
So members of other Tolkien boards have less of a life than MTers?
If you'll read my post again, you'll find that isn't what I said at all. All I said was that you seem to have an incredible amount of time to write essay-like Tolkien posts, and the vast majority of us don't. I was actually referring directly to you, not to "members of other Tolkien boards."

Perhaps you'll consider that a personal attack, but to be honest, I found your reply to my initial post snotty and condescending, implying that I know nothing about Tolkien because I happen to like it here. Take that as you will.

EDIT: Not only that, but I found it inappropriate, and quite rude to WGW for you to be insulting this site in a newbie thread.

[ 10-06-2006, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

But I am talking about the difference between MTers and members of other Tolkien boards, not myself. And if I am somehow important in this discussion, I do have a normal full-time job like many other MTers probably have.

And if a member of a Tolkien board is actually criticized by other members because he is spending a lot of time studying and enjoying Tolkien, then there is something with the attitude on the board that is not entirely alright - for a board that is supposed to be specialized in Tolkien.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the issue is that anyone has a problem with you devoting so much of your time and energy to studying Tolkien - on the contrary, your contribution to literary discussion has been invaluable over the years.

I think the issue is that you come across as contemptuous of the fact that the rest of us don't allocate the main part of our leisure time to Tolkien. And frankly, if MT is just too lowbrow for you then good riddance.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 cents : that remark was also not very nice for several posters, like Thorin or Galin for instance.

[ 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Who on this board actually opposes Tolkien discussion, anyway?
I'd think if there was such a citizen, s/he would be expelled. Especially if s/he were vocal about it, and if someone reported his/er posts to the steward when s/he was bashing Tolkien fans for discussing Tolkien's works.
But I doubt there is such a person.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Hello peoples of Minas Tirith! (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help