Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Hello peoples of Minas Tirith! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Hello peoples of Minas Tirith!
Saruman's Secret Agent
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5552
posted      Profile for Saruman's Secret Agent   Email Saruman's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to meet you all! I read the FAQ and some of the forums while waiting admittance and my answers to the questions to be approved, so I thought I would post a little about myself and my interest in Tolkien here as a sort of introduction.

I'm obviously a new citizen here, but I have been a fan of the Lord of the Rings since I first read the books in high school. Interest in Middle Earth ebbed since with life and all that comes along took up my time, but I would write little short stories every now and then. I got into the Harry Potter books and primarily wrote some fan fiction about the Ravenclaw house. But after a major change in life circumstances, when I was moving I came across my Lord of the Rings books so after I got settled in I read them again!

I found Middle Earth much more conducive to writing stories than my Ravenclaw tales as it is so much more deep in possibilities. I remember liking the town of Bree the first time I read it, and I liked it even more the second time. It is the most diverse place in Middle Earth for many races and heritages of men and hobbits seemed to gather there. So it became the subject of one of my stories. In the part of my story I'm writing now, I started to work on one of the more intriguing events that took place in Bree. That was the spies of the wizard Saruman. I had started a story that had to do with Saruman's influence on the Shire in the South Farthing when I remembered the mention of the orcish men at the Prancing Pony. So this little story of mine has ballooned into a full fledged research on Saruman, and his workings and use of men, orcs and hobbits.

In my numerous web searches on various Middle Earth subjects, I checked out a lot of Tolkien related sites, and many leads would bring me to this site. So many of the leads were to sites that seemed old and dead and only talked of the Lord of the Rings movies from a few years back, or they were active but had little talk of Tolkien's writing. I was impressed with the depth of currently active book topics here so I decided to join. I will probably be a reader here more than a poster but hopefully I will have some thoughts and insights to add to some topics now and then. If there is interest, I will post my stories when I feel they are finished and good enough for public consumption.

Well, I don't mean to bore you with my first post, so I'll let this go for now. I look forward to meeting people of like mind!

From: Midwest | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sufferin' succatash, another SSA!!! []

edit: Oh yeah, welcome new citizen!

[ 09-29-2006, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
**Welcome to thee, and many a parting gift of horizontal gunfire we grant thee.**

Oh wait.....sorry, that was my greeting to Silmatar.

Hi...my name's MANDOS and I'm unpredictable.

If your interested in the literary forums I could show you around...in a manner of speaking that is. []

[ 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: MANDOS ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
posted      Profile for Lórien   Email Lórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Minas Tirith!
Quite and extensive first post I'd say!
Make yourself at home, post as much as you want, and try not to upset the oldies!
As a Noob here myself I am going to give you some pointers.
1. Don't post threads in the wrong Categories.
if you want to post a question about the Silmarillion, don't post it in the Prancing Pony! post it in the Silmarilion category!
2. Don't spam any topics.
3. Don't post anything random and ununderstandable.(basicly refrain from doing anything like what MANDOS does, which you have just had an example of...)

Anyways welcome to the White City!
Your name is very close to another person here... Saurons Secret Agent.. AKA SSA

MANDOS, if unpredicatble isnèt the right word I dont know what is.

[ 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Lórien ]

From: thats completely up to you. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
Don't listen to anything he says about me. I can connect two and two and add the dots together, just like everybody else.

Here's my splurge about posting anywhere in The Prancing Pony or in the other Floating Log and Golden Perch things: Learn to be a little kick-back, and the hand-over-hand impulse of trying to stay ontop of other posters won't bother you after you can't recognize where the top is. []

[ 09-29-2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: MANDOS ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
posted      Profile for Lórien   Email Lórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*slaps head*
Gosh MANDOS, we dont want to kill the new citizen before her fourth post! []

[ 09-29-2006, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Lórien ]

From: thats completely up to you. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saruman's Secret Agent
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5552
posted      Profile for Saruman's Secret Agent   Email Saruman's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips Lorien and pleased to meet you! I did read all that in the FAQ and the help threads, and I'm not new to message board etiquette. Pleased to meet you too Mandos and Snow Wizard! []
I guess I wasn't as clever as I thought in my choice of names.

[ 09-29-2006, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Saruman's Secret Agent ]

From: Midwest | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
Good! than you wont have the problem some of the noobs have had.
Just dont stress yourself too much trying to understand Mandy...

[ 09-29-2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Lórien ]

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So what are we going to do?
From now on, SSA = Saruman's Secret Agent, and we just call the missing SSA Cate?
[] actually misses SSA []
Though I never thought I'd say it when she was flaming me for spelling definitely with an "a" or just for being a rabid Christian.
~~~
Come to think of it, we could call Saruman's Secret Agent "Gríma."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No offence "new" SSA, but when "real" SSA gets back, you're dead meat.

I havent seen any of the original "licencees" around lately, so...

*bang*

Welcome!

[ 09-30-2006, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Lord Glorfindel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Glorf, I thought I saw Thorongil shooting a newb a few days ago.
And we could call this new SSA Gríma without causing any confusion, as there are only two citizens using any form of the name Gríma. There is one Gríma Wormtongue, and there is one Wormtongue.

[ 09-30-2006, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: LyraLuthien Tinuviel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, Glorf, I thought I saw Thorongil shooting a newb a few days ago
Meh, there fair game! He should have got here earlier!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Secret Agent!

If you like writing stories, would our story writing over in the Green Dragon forum interest you? Or do you prefer writing your stories without cooperation? Do have a look and tell us what you think!

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
Yah, check that out, and the Gandalf's Children thread in the Prancing Pony.
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Only do as Mandos says if you're on really heavy drugs.
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

And always remember when dealing with MANDOS: DAB.
Careful; reading MANDOS' posts has been known to cause rational citizens' heads to explode.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Welcome to my sock drawer... I mean Minas Tirith.
May you be a better SSA than the last one. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you can be as great as the original SSA. []
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it, anyone signing in as "Saruman's Secret Agent" is unlikely to be a stranger to MT.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

It is a wee bit suspicious... []

*bang*

That was for confusing me!

[ 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Lord Glorfindel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. A complete newbie turns up and signs on with a name almost identical to one of the more controversial citizens of MT, who has recently gone (mostly) AWOL?

I think the word we're looking for here is PLEASE. []
Tres amusant, BTW, whoever the puppetmaster is. [] []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

quote:
Let's face it, anyone signing in as "Saruman's Secret Agent" is unlikely to be a stranger to MT.

How perceptive of you! [] []
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I know. And this is just HILARIOUS. []

E: BTW, Snowy....check your post count. COMIN' TA GETCHA!!! []

[ 10-02-2006, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

You can come get me anytime, witch! []
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, looks like we need to make more room in the sock drawer... I'll move over to the lingere drawer. [] []

Welcome SecretAgent... [] []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Hello peoples of Minas Tirith! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help