Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  39  40  41 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » I Cuiveyulda Opelë ~ I Velicë Ambal Cilmë (Page 22)
Author Topic: I Cuiveyulda Opelë ~ I Velicë Ambal Cilmë
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*drinks a cup of strong tea*
*eats cookies*

Were more of Fëanor's sons named by number? I don't know what their names mean []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not by number - the Quenya names of the others translate as follows:

Maglor Kanafinwë - Commanding Finwë
Celegorm Turkafinwe - Strong Finwë
Curufin Curufinwe - Skillful Finwë
Caranthir Morifinwe - Dark Finwë
Amrod Pityafinwe - Little Finwë
Amras Telufinwe - Last Finwë

I think that's right anyway.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Those are stupid names. Why would anyone want to name all their children after their father and/or grandfather? []

Nolofinwë and Arafinwë chose much better names for their children. []

[ 08-02-2006, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Finwë did something of the same with his sons.

I guess that Fëanor wanted to stress the fact that Finwë was first and foremost his father, and only secondarily his half-brothers' father. Which could be seen as a bit biased []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, well, ol' Nory was rather selfish and spiteful like that.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*cookies for all, caffeine for most*

*Loves Aika [] *
quote:
diet coke
*Retches [] *
quote:
Yes, well, ol' Nory was rather selfish and spiteful like that.
Like you'd be any different [] !
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Hmm...

Kanayomer
Turkayomer
Curuyomer
Moriyomer
Pityayomer
Teluyomer

It could work. []

Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pityayomer
I do that already. []
From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

[]

And then I'm off to visit my aunt (who hasn't got a computer).
See you all tomorrow!

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those are stupid names. Why would anyone want to name all their children after their father and/or grandfather?
The crazy quoter is back []
quote:
The Eldar in Valinor had as a rule two names, or essi. The first- given was the father-name, received at birth. It usually recalled the father's name, resembling it in sense or form; sometimes it was simply the father's name, to which some distinguishing pre- fix in the case of a son might be added later when the child was full-grown.

The Shibboleth of Fëanor.

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning. Pardon me, brain malfunction, haven't so muched as sipped my tea yet.
Are there any of Aika's luvverly cookies left?
Mmmm... strong tea... black... spiced... and most importantly, caffeinated!

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*drinks de-caffeinated orange juice* [] Well, it is morning, and I should be going to bed soon. []

*has an appointment in less than 10 hours* []

*yawns*

*ponders* []

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's caffeinated orange juice?
*has an appointment in 3 hours*

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm...caffeine.
Mmm...shibboleth.
Mmm...many Yomers...

[/Homer Simpson]

I've just booked a holiday - for my family which means I get the house to myself for an entire week. []

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
The Eldar in Valinor had as a rule two names, or essi. The first- given was the father-name, received at birth. It usually recalled the father's name, resembling it in sense or form; sometimes it was simply the father's name, to which some distinguishing pre- fix in the case of a son might be added later when the child was full-grown.
Oh, I knew that, but I still think it's stupid. But what do I know? My sister and I share the same prefix in our name as our father. []
quote:
Mmm...many Yomers...
[]
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

I was so unprepared for that job interview.
And I am so underqualified for that job.
They want someone who can do all kinds of things that I've never learned to do.
Video-streaming in powerpoint, creating Adobe documents, nationwide marketing campaigns []
They are so not going to call me back.
[]
I'll never find that job.

Sherl
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3828

posted      Profile for Sherl   Email Sherl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, friends! *hugs*

Ah, a holiday -how nice! []

School started this week for my nephew and maybe for some MTers as well *reads*

From: 221b Baker Street | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Once again, I can't take a shower this morning because there's something wrong with the water system here. And they don't expect the part anytime soon. First thing in the morning would have been good. Sometime yesterday would have been better. "Later today sucks!"
*grumps*
*drinks tea made from bottled water*

Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yuck, no fun not being able to take a shower. I was once at a summer music school that told us to confine our shower time to 5 minutes a day (almost impossible for females, but whatever.) Obviously there were people that ignored that, because then we were told to restrict it down to 2 minutes...that didn't work...and then I woke up one day to NO water. It was like that for a couple of days...no washing hands, no flushing [] , no showers...and no air conditioning (well, there was never any air conditioning. I just added that on to emphasize the no showering part.)

End story. []

What's shakin, everyone?

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*randomly wanders in, pokes random people, leaves chocolate and tea for people, leaves*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

*leaves a hug for Rory in case she wanders in again*
Yay, the water's back on! It took them less than 22 hours this time!
*fills bathtub*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

Nelyafinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5247

posted      Profile for Nelyafinwë   Email Nelyafinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My program ends tomorrow. Then I only have a week and a half left in lovely Belfast.

[] Belfast []

From: The Green Dragon - forever and always | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

*spies Varna* []
*pokes her in the direction of that other RP* []

*needs to eat something other than Old Gold Dark Chocolate and Pepomint Life Savers* []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

*lurks* []

I stayed with my aunt for another day. I'm back at work again today. I'll be back at my own compy (with a little more time for writing) tonight.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » I Cuiveyulda Opelë ~ I Velicë Ambal Cilmë (Page 22)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  39  40  41 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help