Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » New citizen of the citadel (Page 3)
Author Topic: New citizen of the citadel
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And that's exactly what I've heard top chefs and critics say about Dubious []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
[] []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's "Parmeggiano" not "Parmassan" (or whatever way you actually spell it) [] []

Seriously, when it comes to food, I tend to buy only the "real McCoy", not the "local remakes"... []

====

EDIT: Athene, that's the point: "Brie" isn't supposed to be too "creamy" (unlike "Camembert") []

[ 11-21-2005, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've tried French and Somerset, and I like both for different reasons. Perhaps you should try it before you knock it? []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't "knock it", but IMO the only thing that should be called "Brie" has to be coming from the region of the same name... Just like "Parmeggiano" should only come from Parma, etc... The "Terroir" has a lot to do with the finished product.

Thus, I'm not saying that "Somerset" stuff you're talking about is necessarily bad, but that it isn't Brie a) because it doesn't come from Brie and b) from what you say doesn't even fit to the actual Brie's standards... So why call it "Brie" at all?

EDIT: And it's not only true for cheese! There is no "Champagne" coming from outside of the region called "Champagne", everything else is just "fizzy white wine"...

[ 11-21-2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Because it sells instead of Brie, as it is very similar. But it would be interesting to find out what it was called before, because it's not as though it's a new product over here.
I find Brie creamy - not in the same full-fat tasting way that Camembert is, but I don't see how you can say that it "doesn't meet Brie's standards" just from that.

E: On that subject of 'terroir', I find it very funny that so many people are sniffy about Chardonnay but think Champagne is great. []

[ 11-21-2005, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
but I don't see how you can say that it "doesn't meet Brie's standards" just from that.
Cos he's French, we're talking about food and he's being a snob []
English producers are not allowed to sell it as Parmeggiano I believe [] So your guys making Brie should have copyrighted the name like the Italians have []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
but think Champagne is great.
Another over-rated and over priced commodity [] A bit like caviar really []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

I'll have trouble explaning my point in English, because I lack the exact vocabulary necessary, but I'll try anyway...
Brie is supposed "break in small bits" when put on bread, because, while not a very dry/hard cheese like Gouda for example, it is supposed to be "dryer" than , for lack of a better example, Camembert... This characteristic hardly fits with the term "creamy" from my POV, so either I got you wrong, or you have a false idea of what Brie is... []

====
quote:
over priced
Maybe you find it over-priced because you have to buy it with all the additional taxes and transpostation expenses, but I can assure you it's not that expensive here... In Reims []

[ 11-21-2005, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I love Champagne and, if I had the money I would drink it all the time. Even at work. []
My point was that Vitis vinifera 'Chardonnay' is a grape, and Champagne is a region and a winemaking technique.
80% of Champagne is made from Chardonnay. But you get a lot of people saying that Chardonnay is tacky, and only Champagne is good enough. Makes me laugh. []

E: I meant the taste; if I had meant the texture in that sense there's no way I would pass up the opportunity to use the word "squidgy". [] And it's pretty unlikely that anyone in England would not know what Brie is - it's eaten a lot over here. No doubt you're going to come back with some comment about only shipping the rubbish stuff over to us - but I have eaten it in France on many occasions too.

[ 11-21-2005, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Maybe someone should start a 'Foods around the World' thread in the Pony []
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Actually, most of Champagne is made of a mix of different grapes ("Pinot Noir" being one of those that are used in a large majority of the mixes, even if only in small quantitites)... []

And, anyway, Chardonnay that has grown in Reims will not be the same grape that if it had grown in, say, Strasbourg... Since the soil composition, number of sunny days, amount of water received (etc) will not be the same, the fruit will be different...

[ 11-21-2005, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

OK, but no KIMCHI.
[] []

E: Exactly, which is why Cava is not Champagne and never will be, even though it is made from the same grapes and using the same techniques. And I do know it is a mix, and 80% of that mix is Cardonnay. I am obviously not explaining myself very well today. What I am trying to say is that, in Somerset they make a cheese which is almost identical to Brie except for the locality, and they call it Brie because people recognise the name and will know what they're getting.

[ 11-21-2005, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

The problem is that people actually don't know what they're getting... I can tell you, for example, that a lot of the people who say "champagne is over-rated" usually (that is if it's not simply because they don't like champagne --something which is 'normal') never drank the real stuff, or only the poorest example of what is produced here.

I think for example that the product from the Jacquart caves don't deserve the name champagne, that stuff is too "green" and tastes horribly... By "green" I mean it is usually made with non-mature grapes because to let them mature means risking to loose part of the fruits to the late summer's storms [] 'Quantity over quality' is something which doesn't fit with a "luxury" product such as champagne.
Even the famous "Cordon Rouge", which seems to be the most popular stuff outside of our boundaries, isn't top notch and isn't worth a "Piper Heidsieck" or a "Pommery"...

You may call me a snob, but I'd rather drink one glass of good champagne than ten of medium quality stuff, because the difference in taste and quality is huge! [] (And, actually, the difference in price is not that big...)

Even if to a lesser extant, the same is usually true with "the real McCoy" and the "local remakes" when it comes to cheese or any other local speciality. *shrugs*

[ 11-21-2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I agree about the Champagne. My mother went on a student exchange with a member of the Piper-Heidseik dynasty. That was a great summer apparently.... [] [] []

At the risk of kicking this off even further, I've just been to the local shop to get some lunch and seen..... Somerset Camembert!
Sacré bleu!!!!
[]

E: You should get your own back by making Double Gloucester in Nice!

[ 11-21-2005, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

*does a "better than thou" stunt*

One of my friends is the son of the head of Pommery... []

Bah, they can have Camembert as far as I'm concerned, I hate the stuff! []

[ 11-21-2005, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yo this's turned into a full-blown cheese debate!
*thinks Nash and Athene are members of this cheese forum

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Fool, prate not to me about covenants.
There can be no covenants between men and lions,
wolves and lambs can never be of one mind, but
hate each other out and out and through.

From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

-
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Cuisine is a very serious matter!

There's a saying here: "You are what you eat"... I'd rather be a "Filet de Boeuf sauce aux cinq poivres sur lit de pommes sautées" than a "Big Mac" anyday! []

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Bloody French! First they steal our recipe for Brie, then they steal our expressions!
[]
[] []

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Haven't you two got any work to do? []
If not, get a room []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

[] No work to do today...

And waiting for the girlfriend to come back from her work... []

====

Besides the "Sandwich" what did the Brits contributed to cuisine? []

[]

[ 11-21-2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

proper custard you ignoramus! [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Spotted Dick.
*with the air of one laying down the trump card*
So there.
[] [] []
[]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

With what I mentioned is sheer joy Dubious []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » New citizen of the citadel (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help