Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » How to Choose a Screen Name (Page 3)
Author Topic: How to Choose a Screen Name
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gondeaf the Grey, simply classic.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I in this thread My name is Joe Stupid [] []
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To set an example, of course...
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My name rocks!
[] for Aik
[] to the rest of you!

*Is probably going to get whomped for that...*
*Couldn't care less*
[]

[]

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Your wish is my command, MeLady!

*whomps Telpy*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You two... Get a room! []
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether or not that's legal []

Anyway, I'm bound by a ring of gold to someone else []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a faster runner than you, old man! []

[] @ Nash!
I'm an angel, I do no such think.

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, I'm bound by a ring of gold to someone else
Sauron is gay? []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

quote:
I'm a faster runner than you, old man!
I'm not old and you'd better not make yourself believe you're faster than me, 'cause you could very well be mistaken in that!

Arien, there are other rings than Sauron's [] and besides [SPOILER ALERT] Sauron's Ring was destroyed Ages ago [/SPOILER ALERT]. Moreover, even if Sauron were gay, I'm not []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is it more acceptable if I was the first Gandalf? []

Okay so there was a Mithrandir before me. But he's my brother. And he registered on the same day as me, and I didn't know he had already named himself Mithrandir.

So really, my Gandalf-ness is justified. []

And I was Lord Faramir for awhile...

[ 12-14-2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the White ]

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lord Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it more acceptable if I was the first Gandalf? []
[] NO! []

[]

[]

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've broken almost every one of those rules in the past. My first name was Rochwen of Limlight. Rochwen is bad elvish-a mix of Sindarin and Queya, I think. Then, I made myself from a very obscure place in Middle Earth. I finished off by being named after a character of my own invention.

And my name now...
Well, Roccowen is all Quenya (right? I'm forgetting my elvish). Eilonwyiel is suppoed to be Queya for "daughter of Eilonwy," but of course Eilonwy is a character from another "fantasy series", so there goes another rule down the drain. And techincally the name "Eilonwyiel" is ridiculous because no name in Queya would end in "y" for the ending "-iel" to be a problem.

And after all those sins, I'm expecting quite the punishment.

[] [] [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I will love you forever, whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again..."

The Amber Spyglass

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Roccowen is indeed correct, and I think Eilonwyiel would more likely be Eilonwyel. Not completely sure, though.

[ 12-19-2005, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And after all those sins, I'm expecting quite the punishment.
1000 lines 'I must not butcher the good professor's languages' []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1000 lines 'I must not butcher the good professor's languages'
Copy and paste it into Excel, then drag one corner down 1000 lines, and voilá! []

The trouble is that you have to choose a screen name before you can log on and ask anyone here about what screen name you should choose []

Of course you can change it later, like when someone translates your Sindarin name into Quenya [] (thanks, Éomer [] )

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rochwen is bad elvish-a mix of Sindarin and Queya
Not bad elvish. The names Boromir and Tol Eressëa are combinations of the two languages, but seem to be from a reputable source. []
From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK... I have a new one:

Do not abuse "Special Characters"

ÁÂÄÉÊÓÚÛ are interesting and unusual, but filling your screenname with them is not advised. This means you, Nîlûmâ Nardûnegâda - Citizen # 4669

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was planning to change my name to Éômēŗ. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thîñgøl öf Dórïæth?

I like it! []

[ 01-08-2006, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*bang*
*BANG*
*BANG*
*BANG*

Newbieness infecting the city again []

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Did Zen actually just shoot me?

Guess I can't post in this thread anymore... []

Parmastahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5320
posted      Profile for Parmastahir   Email Parmastahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a newbie (relative to these boards anyway), I hope I'm not going to awake tomorrow with a bullseye on my back. In any case, I MUCH enjoyed reading (pretty much) this entire thread. After registering at one forum as "flyhopper" (HOW AWFUL IS THAT ONE??? I am now somewhat older - and hopefully - wiser.) for the very reason noted above (I needed to register in order to figure out just how bad that name was!), I made a small amount of effort, found some on-line guides to Quenya, and constructed my username from "parma" = book, "asta" = month, hir- = root form of "to find". Therefore, "book of months finder". It is supposed to reflect my particular Tolkien passion: collecting Tolkien calendars (which you can read about in "Bag End Auctions" if you are interested (not wanting to take this thread off topic). Hopefully, your name reflects who you are (or wish to emulate). Wish I were JRRT, but that name goes with only one person. Best to all, Parmastahir

[ 02-19-2006, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Parmastahir ]

From: Green Hill Country | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I should have a blurb about choosing another citizen's name. The Witch King of Angmar (a.k.a. Wiki) and The Witch King of Angmar (a.k.a. New Wiki) are confusing me.

But it's been five years since I registered a screen name here. What's the process? How can one tell if a desired name is taken prior to registry? There is a difference between displayed name and user name, right?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Look it up in the directory. If it's existing it will have an entry. Your logon name is the name under which you registered, in my case TheLastElf (*cringe*), and your user name is whatever you susequently change it to.
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » How to Choose a Screen Name (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help