Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » How to Choose a Screen Name (Page 1)
Author Topic: How to Choose a Screen Name
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Note: This is a rather tongue-in-cheek joke thread, but it does bring up some issues regarding screen names. You can (and should) read “official” minstirith.com screen name policy under the City Code of Law and Ethics.

Okay, so I was bored today. I thought up some helpful hints for people who are getting ready to join Minas Tirith and are thinking about names. Of course, this could also apply to all those people who keep making more screen names in order to cause havoc. [] Anywho…

Keep it short
Just like the Gaffer said, make it short and then you won’t have to cut it short before you can use it. People think up these gigantic super names and then everyone has to make up nicknames in order to address them. Gna is nice and short, but luckily I don’t have to pronounce it.

Don’t use your real name
It isn’t as fun having an online conversation with John as it is with Gloin. You are exempt from this clause if you are a world-famous Tolkien scholar such as Michael Martinez.

Don’t beat a dead horse
There are 14 Gandalfs, 4 Mithrandirs, 3 Olorins, 1 Tharkun, and 1 Incanus here. There are also 2 Grey Pilgrims and a Grey Wanderer. Enough already. Everyone knows all of Gandalf’s names, so you aren’t going to find any more.

Don’t be too obscure
Don’t pick a name from the index of your dog-eared copy of The Lays of Beleriand or from some seldom-read treatise published by the Professor before electricity was invented. Sure, Chrysophylax looks cool, but few people can pronounce it or know where it’s from. You are exempt from this clause if you are a Tolkien scholar-god such as Nimruzir.

Sexual innuendo is acceptable
Just be prudent with your choice of names. Isn’t that right, Wetwang?

Don’t use any names from other fantasy series
We don’t need any Harry Potters, thank you. Luckily we don’t have any yet. SirLegolasChewbacca is not going to impress people either. Believe me. You are exempt if you are in White Gold Wielder’s family.

Don’t give yourself titles
We don’t care if you are a Shadowdancer or Great or whatever. You are exempt from this clause if you have a hilarious title, such as Galion the Tipsy Butler. However, I can almost guarantee that your idea isn’t hilarious, so don’t try it.

Don’t use numbers
This means you, Elfgirl27.

If you are going to make up some Elven name, be careful
Leofa Udalraph doesn’t look Elvish to me. Perhaps it’s Adunic? Anyway, it gives me a headache.

No one cares where you’re from
There are almost 100 citizen names that go something like this: “generic name” of “generic place.” Talk about a fantasy cliché! You don’t want to be compared with Thingol of Doriath anyway. That dude is trouble.

If you can’t spell it, don’t use it
Obviously, this site deals with an Oxford professor’s work. Be prepared for permanent public derision if you can’t spell your own screen name. Something like Gondeaf the Gray is not a good idea.

Try not to be too weird
I lessthanthree hobbits is too weird.

Don't use someone else's name
It's confusing to everyone else. Make sure you check the Citizen Directory. You must be signed on to do so.
Not good: The Witch-King of Angmar (a.k.a. Wiki) and The Witch King of Angmar (a.k.a. New Wiki).

*****How to Change A Screen Name*****
In a fit of newbie exuberance you managed to register as Legolad_548_of_Mirkweed and have been subjected to constant ridicule. Instead of opening another account with a different name, or (worse yet), slinking away never to be seen again, you can simply change your screen name into something less embarrassing.

1) Log in.
2) Click on "profile" in the upper right hand corner of the main screen.
3) Click on "view/update profile" at the top of your profile screen.

Here there are directions on how to change your publicly displayed name.

[ 11-15-2006, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*changes name to 'Gandalf328 the Quite Good*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about you choose a name that you like, that means something to you, and sod everybody else?

(Yeah, I'm in a mood - so would you be if you'd been frozen solid for three hours earlier.)

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Shush, SSA. It's all in fun.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin, you forgot one.

Mutant names are an affront against God and Nature. Don't combine names from different sources. The results aren't pretty. Like this monstrosity: SirLegolasChewbacca

[]

[ 11-16-2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*changes name to "Thorin's Bane" *

[]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Thorin, I'm glad my posts have been more fun to read than these venerable submissions by John Doe...

[]

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just do what I did, find a Tolkien character that's fairly close to being a main character and nobody else was actively using. [] Though that's a bit difficult these days...

Of course that came after I originally joined up with one of those generic "Someone of Someplace" cliche names. [] Though I changed it about, like, four hours after I posted my "Hello!" thread. []

[ 11-16-2005, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Éomer ]

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Horsemaster is my hero. If not for him, I would still be a scantly clad female superhero [] [] FireStar...

*Kicks self in head for never finding out about FireStar first.* []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
God save our gracious Queen!

There are only 10 kinds of people on Earth - those that understand binary and those that don't ;)

From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nelyafinwë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5247

posted      Profile for Nelyafinwë   Email Nelyafinwë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, don't worry so much. You can always change it. []
From: The Green Dragon - forever and always | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just be prudent with your choice of names. Isn’t that right, Wetwang?
Is sure is Master Longbeard [] I just don't see myself as a 'Nindalf', do you? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
You've got one of my favorite names, Wetty. I remember when I had to explain it to Kosomot, who didn't know the intricacies of English slang. Amusing conversation, to be sure.

Sorry, Gloin. I think there is a David and a Michael, and perhaps another one or two "real" names in the citizens list, but I thought John was nice and common, besides the fact he never posted.

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders in which of these categories he'd fall* []
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
*wonders in which of these categories he'd fall*
Dozy Frenchman has a ring to it 3F []

If you think you having to explain it to K was funny Master Dwarf how do you think I felt when I couldn't understand the double meaning to my handle and had to ask an American to explain it to me! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, Nash, what does the "Nash" signify?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I'm betting on 'Not A Sharp Hombre' []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*ignores RWSL and Z*

Silm, it's just my RL nickname. []

[ 11-16-2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I lessthanthree hobbits
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5266
posted      Profile for I lessthanthree hobbits   Author's Homepage   Email I lessthanthree hobbits   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not that weird...

Well, maybe I am, but my name is not that bad. Some people understand what I mean, and if you don't well, check my introduction thread.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Forget the caffe latte, screw the raspberry iced tea
A malibu and coke for you, a G and T for me
Alcohol, your songs resolve like
My life never will
When someone else is picking up the bill
~Barenaked Ladies

From: MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think my screen name from BoLT II will fall in this category:
quote:
Don’t be too obscure
Don’t pick a name from the index of your dog-eared copy of The Lays of Beleriand or from some seldom-read treatise published by the Professor before electricity was invented.

[]

But then again, it has some familiar ring to it, hasn't it?

quote:
BTW, Nash, what does the "Nash" signify?
Silm, it's just my RL nickname.

I think this one ("Nash R.") belongs to the category formulated by Silm:
quote:
Mutant names are an affront against God and Nature. Don't combine names from different sources. The results aren't pretty.
I ask you to pay special attention to the last quoted sentence []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

............................................There is only one Z []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The one and only ZENCHEN™
Citzen #88 according to the oldbies
Oh that reminds me Zen, YOU ROCK man! - Whyte Chyld Wyelder
...shooting newbies is like smoking pot, its technically illegal, but everyone does it anyway-OSSY *Drools at Avatar*
And I figure if Zen doesn't know it, it's probably not WORTH knowing... - Cloudstrife
Zillionaire Exchanging Naughty, Intense, Thrilling Hugs
The Most Crazy CitiZEN

From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I lessthanthree hobbits
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5266
posted      Profile for I lessthanthree hobbits   Author's Homepage   Email I lessthanthree hobbits   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Zen, I think that your fetish with your name is a little unhealthy. Now, I'm sure that you thought that it was clever when you first wrote it, and now you may be feeling regrets that you can't change it, but there is no need to go and broadcast that.

Either that or you are really ungodly egotisitcal.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Forget the caffe latte, screw the raspberry iced tea
A malibu and coke for you, a G and T for me
Alcohol, your songs resolve like
My life never will
When someone else is picking up the bill
~Barenaked Ladies

From: MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[]
I feel a newbie shooting coming round! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

Let start shall we

I lessthanthree hobbits -What a stupid name god Bring back R.O.B
Soldier of Gondor - Not even a gaurd []
Citizen # 5266 - how may digets is that?

quote:

Zen, I think that your fetish with your name is a little unhealthy. Now, I'm sure that you thought that it was clever when you first wrote it, and now you may be feeling regrets that you can't change it, but there is no need to go and broadcast that.

How sad and pathetic I can change my name and have done; shows what the newbie knows. []

Either that or you are really ungodly egotisitcal.

Ungodly - I have been called better than god and God before []

Egotisitcal - Well we all have an ego; though im sure some people like yourself have no common sense.

*bang*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The one and only ZENCHEN™
Citzen #88 according to the oldbies
Oh that reminds me Zen, YOU ROCK man! - Whyte Chyld Wyelder
...shooting newbies is like smoking pot, its technically illegal, but everyone does it anyway-OSSY *Drools at Avatar*
And I figure if Zen doesn't know it, it's probably not WORTH knowing... - Cloudstrife
Zillionaire Exchanging Naughty, Intense, Thrilling Hugs
The Most Crazy CitiZEN

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

See, I told yer! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
That's Mr Wang™ to you!

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » How to Choose a Screen Name (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help