Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Mae Govannen, mellyn nín....
Author Topic: Mae Govannen, mellyn nín....
Mirë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5019
posted      Profile for Mirë   Email Mirë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Almarë, ilyë... []

Thought I'd peek in and introduce myself....yes, another new citizen of this fair city...

My name is Mirëandúnë, or Mirë to be quick about it. It means "Jewel of the evening sky" in Quenya, which is the Tolkien language I am most familiar with (though no expert, I assure you!!!) I love this little icon, as the moon/stars theme was what I was going for when choosing it.

I'm a long time Tolkien lover. And have found, with this mythology, that the longer I read it, the more I realize there is to learn. I'm always fascinated to hear the insights of people who are far more expert about it all than I.

But lest you think that I am but a dry old scholar....pah!! I love a good laugh and a clever joke, and can lift a pint with the best of them....and look forward to doing so here with some new faces. []

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
posted      Profile for Mavis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Mirë, to the fair White City of Gondor. May your stay be full of learning and friends. However,
quote:
Quenya, which is the Tolkien language I am most familiar with
Then why is your thread title in Sindarin, I'm curious to know? Even so, it is good to find another Quenya lover. []
From: Stuck in a mental mire | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mára tulda, Mirë!

I see you are a lover of the most-mellifluous High Elven. Bravo! But, *ahem* I noticed you used that sinda lambë greeting. [] [] Try this instead:

Mára ovantië, nildorenya!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Vëarenen ilnutin nardar."

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WELCOME Mirë!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5019
posted      Profile for Mirë   Email Mirë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lol!!

Hantalë, ilyë, for the welcome....I am honoured.

And as for the Sindarin...well....just trying to include everybody.....
[]

(That little phrase just about tapped me out, anyway!!! [] )

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Mirë!
Yes, there are a few of us here who are also learning Quenya - and some others who know enough to teach us. I've only just started to learn, but I think it is a beautiful language.

My character, Varnafindë, is an Eldarin scholar and of course speaks both languages fluently. Just don't ask her to give any examples. []

Hope you'll have fun around the board!

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Minas Tirith, Mirë! []

My first impression is that you'll do well around here. [] We are always glad to welcome any citizen who has a true love for Tolkien!

I hope you enjoy your stay, and if you've got any questions, you may want to check out the "All Newbie Questions Answered" thread in this forum. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, if you've got them!

[ 01-04-2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the White ]

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you didn't stick around Mirë.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » Mae Govannen, mellyn nín....
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help