Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  17  18  19 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 3)
Author Topic: All Newbie Questions Answered
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Which book should I read first, Mr. Gentleman? Should I start with THE SILMARRILON? Or maybe THE HOBBIT? Or can I just go right into the LOTR trilogy?
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would strongly advise against beginning with The Silmarillion. Personally, I think that it would be best to start with The Hobbit, but it would not be disastrous to pick its sequel first.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The Silmarillion I started when I was 14 and gave up after the 1st chapter. Then a couple years later I picked it up and read it all the way through. I enjoyed it very much then, but yeah it's certainly not something for a bit of "light reading".
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both very much for your help. I think I'll go with The Laurenendôrian's advice and go with THE HOBBIT first.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estella Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1819

posted      Profile for Estella Brandybuck   Email Estella Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of things I haven't quite understood yet.

Question 1: When someone is on your Ignore List, you can't receive PM from them, right?

Question 2: Do you put them on your Buddy List to receive PM again?

From: The Shire | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neffy G
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1852

posted      Profile for Neffy G   Email Neffy G   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i fixed it!
From: Wherever really . . . | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estella Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1819

posted      Profile for Estella Brandybuck   Email Estella Brandybuck   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You may have done. But not all newbies know. I can still ask.
From: The Shire | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HT
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 282
posted      Profile for HT   Email HT   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to see someone taking an interest in answering the questions of those new to the site and new to Tolkien. Kudos to you! That said, here's a message from my lady friend, Miriam Webster:

Main Entry: sic
Pronunciation: 'sik, 'sEk
Function: adverb
Etymology: Latin, so, thus -- more at SO
Date: circa 1859
: intentionally so written -- used after a printed word or passage to indicate that it is intended exactly as printed or to indicate that it exactly reproduces an original <said he seed [sic] it all>

She's a pedant, but she's useful to have around.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The lies of Melkor thou shalt unlearn in bitterness. Vala he is, thou saist. Then thou hast sworn in vain, for none of the Valar canst thou overcome now or ever within the halls of Eä, not though Eru whom thou namest had made thee thrice greater than thou art.

From: Cambridge, ON | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why doesn't my text thingy appear at the bottom of my posts?

Also - to return to a very old thread that I found rather interesting - I would deem it very likely that Grond was some sort of tank, the hobbits probably wouldn't reccognize it as such though...

[ 05-07-2002, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Fabian ]

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Estella Brandybuck - your question has now been answered on the first page.

Fabian - erm, what do you mean 'text thingy'?

HT - well I never, I got that totally wrong then. Will double check then edit. Thank you []

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the 'text thingy' is a signature. Before you click 'Add Reply', scroll down the page; below the UBB Code tick the 'Show Signature' box. Your text thingy will then magically appear at the end of your post.

Of course if that isn't what you meant, ignore me!

And welcome to MT - may your stay be long and happy!

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question that may seem incredibly stupid to all of you, but I should like to know the answer. What does "IMHO" stand for?? I have seen people use it and have tried to understand it by way of the context, but I haven't figured it out. It's probably something ridicuously obvious that I have failed to see. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO= in my humble opinion
From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem is that most of the people saying IMHO, aren't being very humble. []
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldea
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1493

posted      Profile for Aldea   Email Aldea   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank you so much! I had wondered about that for some time. *hugs Bethberry*
From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Oh now I see the light! Thank you very much!
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that some citizens have changed their names while retaining their citizen numbers. Is this possible and if so how you do it?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wandering Tuor - you can change everything except your log-in name; your user name, password and any info you display can be changed if you go to your profile, and then to 'edit profile'.

btw, where is TG? We seem to be taking over his thread between us! Sorry TG. []

[ 05-09-2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to thank my two assistants: Bethberry and SSA.

*claps*

In my absence they have done a sterling job indeed of looking after the noobies. I have updated the first post to include their most insightful offerings.

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

I don't think he'd mind. He wouldn't want questions to remain unanswered.
Shards of Narsil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2056

posted      Profile for Shards of Narsil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
can I post pictures If there not on a website?
Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldea
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1493

posted      Profile for Aldea   Email Aldea   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about this when I did a poll awhile ago. Can you have smilies in any poll? Sorry about the stupidity of the question. []

~Alk []

[ 05-10-2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Alkfalath ]

From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SoN, as of right now, a picture must already be online if you wish to post it in a thread. The reason being, I believe, is that WGW only has a limited amount of space for this website, and too many pictures uploaded directly to his server would quickly take up that space.
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

The first post has been updated to answer your question Shards of Narsil.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

TG, you may want to edit this part:

quote:
Q. What does 'sic' and 'j/k' mean?

A. Use 'sic' when you are quoting from somewhere but you are doing it from memory, in other words if you don't know the quote word for word. 'j/k' means 'joke' or 'joking'.

As HT pointed out, 'sic' actually is used to inform the reader that a word that is misspelled or seemingly out of place was intended to be that way. It is usually used when quoting another individual who has misspelled a word, so as not to associate the misspelling with the current writer.

Additionally, j/k's literal translation is "just kidding," but "joking" does catch the gist of it. []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  17  18  19 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help