Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 19)
Author Topic: All Newbie Questions Answered
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
People are running out of time to register dopplgangers.
Actually, this discussion came up on Ringbearer, and I guess because a board isn't experiencing the growth of 2001-2003 when Lord of the Rings was pop-culture, they think they are dying. I say its good that the true Tolkien fanatics are sticking around and there isn't a flood of Orli-orgasmic 13 year olds flooding the gates anymore. Surely there are new folk who do take the time to register and all, and may be driven away by all the in-house jokes and banter and gunfire, etc. Sure its fun for us who have been here awhile, but it can be a bit unfriendly to someone who wishes to discuss Tolkien. Over on Ringbearer, they have the opposite problem. The few N00bs are welcomed in friendship, but there is very little discussion of Tolkien's book s there anymore. They are talking about expanding their scope to include other fantasy, of which I voiced my opinion against. In the end I think staying the course and staying Tolkien focused is the way to be, but we may want to go a little easier on the n00bz who do show up. Unfortunately the registration of sock-puppets here and some of the ill in the past, has led many to be wary of anyone new who willingly dives into the forums, for they usually show an unseeming familiarity of certain things.

...but yeah, Lord of the Rings is not in the pop culture anymore, so its the diehards who remain.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
While I at least give some props to the film for inspiring a new generation of Tolkien enthusiasts (ie readers), I think there will be less and less people becoming drawn to the book for the first time. Of course, the movies are out there and will continue to generate interest (hopefully) in the book in their own fashion. I believe those who in the near future come here or to other sites to explore the literature will be just as enthusiastic. Even some of the old hands might be inspired to rejoin the so-called "Up North" conversations.

Or a new generation continues the tradition. After all, there are many, many lit posters who haven't been around here in a while; it's not just a dearth of newbies up North...

[ 10-19-2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Hammer of the North
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5939
posted      Profile for The Hammer of the North   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to get used to it here.....
From: The North and Beyond | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It takes some time. Check out the FAQ link up at the top right of the main screen. I'd also read the first post in this thread. A lot of this thread is out of date, but a lot of it is still helpful too. Browsing around to see different things is a good idea.

Do you have any specific questions we could help you with?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Sherriff
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5427
posted      Profile for The Sherriff   Edit/Delete Post 
But what do you do about TRUE bullies? There are several here that bullied me when I first got here and I could never figure out if it was because of sexuality or what. I'd like to know why bullying is ok here. I tried to take my life because of bullying here and I'm only alive because of the impossible... people found me way out in the woods. Is it possible to just stop it?
From: The Shire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just stop it Sherriff, you're the bully here. Taking over the board like this is not right. Stick on topic and stop hijacking threads.

[ 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay then. What did I do to you? Stop spamming the boards and let's have it.

I have no idea who you are ( a sock-puppet? a troll? a drunk? some bored druggie? or somebody with a real grievance? ) and I have never posted in even the same thread as you before today, so I quite fail to see how I managed to bully you. So please, tell me. PMs are perfectly acceptable.

edit: not you DQ, our posts crossed []

[ 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Hammer of the North said:
quote:
"I'll try to get used to it here....."
... or not. It was your only post. []

Hey Sherrif.... [] [] [] []

quote:
I have no idea who you are ( a sock-puppet? a troll? a drunk? some bored druggie? or somebody with a real grievance? ) and I have never posted in even the same thread as you before today, so I quite fail to see how I managed to bully you. So please, tell me. PMs are perfectly acceptable.
...and here I thought it was one of your socks that got lost in the dryer returning from its static cling... [] [] []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galador
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11425

posted      Profile for Galador   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from a newbie to the MT forums - post number one! Long-time Tolkien fan, been dipping into MT threads off and on for a year or so.

I've done a few searches but can't find anything, so please don't flame me for asking this:

What's the "policy" on resurrecting old threads? I've been working back (in time) through the LOTR discussions and have occasionally thought of something to chip in; but most threads haven't been posted to in several years.

In other forums, it seems that you can either be shot down for starting a new thread ("Can't you use the search function? [] There's a perfectly serviceable thread from 2002 on this subject already!") or shot down for dredging up an old one ("What's with your posting to a thread that's over a decade old?? [] "). Not that I'd have anything major to add - pretty much every aspect of the topic will have been covered already. No fresh pearls of wisdom or insight - it's just that now and then a short comment has sprung to mind, but perhaps not something really worthy of bumping a dusty thread to the top of page one.

Also, not sure whether this should be posted in TG's "All Newbie Questions Answered" thread (which is what I think I've done - via the "Post Reply" button) or as a new thread within The Floating Log (which is what I'm guessing "Post New Topic" would have done). Hopefully I chose correctly... []

ETA: Rrr, I see my avatar's not been added yet. []

[ 05-08-2015, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Galador ]

From: Kent, UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can post in any old thread you like. Sometimes, the search function for some forums is borked, so start a new thread if this is the case, and you can't find an old thread to add to.

Sorry the avatar took so long.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 19)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help