Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 17)
Author Topic: All Newbie Questions Answered
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me how you link direct to a post, and not just to a page???

Thanks []

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Newbie... []

Actually, I'd like ti know that as well. []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can get the URL to the post via the header smiley used. So, you used [] as your header smiley, and by clicking it I received:

http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000031;p=17#000401

Then you just do your normal linking thing.

E: Was addressing Freya there, obviously. []

[ 02-26-2004, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Now I know! Thank you so much Braeden [] [] []
From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But posts are sometimes very long. Is there any way that I can link directly to a word? []
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iris Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4341

posted      Profile for Iris Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question....where are some of the places newbie's can and can't post because i am getting very confused and people are getting mad at me
From: on the runway. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anywhere, just post intelligently.

That is unless your in the Pony []

E-you can't start a thread in Minas Tirith Announcements, but I don't think there is even an option to do so, so nvm.

[ 02-26-2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Thalion ]

From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iris Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4341

posted      Profile for Iris Brandybuck   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ok......thanks.......i need a lot of help right now []
From: on the runway. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, feel free to PM me, or just post what your problems are here, and get everybody to help you out, seeing as we can't really help until we know what's wrong.
From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iris Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4341

these are my problems: i dont know where i am aloud to post, what to talk about in certain places, and how to do different stuff [] []
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How to do different stuff, read page 1 of this thread.

Where to post, like said above post intellegent posts in right places, like when you told you were New in a thread about Chainbook, it didn't quite belong there, did it? Those post are for this Floating Log...

As a small reminder, try posting your comments one any subject, but please use right grammar and good english, we are honering Tolkiens profession in that way here. []

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
Well read the first post of this thread and there is a description with each of the Forums.
E-crossed post []

[ 02-26-2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Thalion ]

Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I Beat You, to it Thalion.... []
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for neglecting my duties this past week but I've been on holiday. Where? Oh, well since you are asking I was skiing in Val d'isére. Nice! (Pictures Coming Soon).

Iris Brandybuck - the best advice I can give you (especially if you are being hassled) is to think before you post and only post when you have something substantial to contribute to the conversation. If your grasp of English language isn't particularly good, type it out in a word processor first or manually check the spelling and grammar before clicking the 'Add Reply' button. Follow this simple rule and you will soon discover that people warm to you.

~tg

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iris Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4341

What are some websites where i can get an avatar?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
WAKE UP. You're Alive. We're On Your Side. [to write love on her arms]

Unless You've Lived My Life, Don't Judge Me Because You Don't Know, Never Have & Never Will Know Every Little Thing & Detail About Me

Eöl i Moriquendë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4026
posted      Profile for Eöl i Moriquendë   Author's Homepage   Email Eöl i Moriquendë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Movie Avatars
Art Avatars

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
'~Formerly: Nolofinwë~ (Ex- Member) \{^v^^v^}/
When you were born, you were crying and everyone else was smiling. Live so that when you die, you're smiling and everyone else is crying.

From: Havens of Pelagir | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iris Brandybuck
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4341

Thank you.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
WAKE UP. You're Alive. We're On Your Side. [to write love on her arms]

Unless You've Lived My Life, Don't Judge Me Because You Don't Know, Never Have & Never Will Know Every Little Thing & Detail About Me

Tsutsi and Tisza
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4190
posted      Profile for Tsutsi and Tisza   Email Tsutsi and Tisza   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK, we have a question, it has to do with reviving old threads vs. starting new threads vs. being slightly off theme in a current thread, so we will put in this thread and see what happens.

Is it always better to revive an old thread than begin a new one?

Do "oldbies" like or dislike seeing a revival?

What if the old thread fizzled into drivel at the end, should one/could one excerpt the good stuff and link to the old thread and maybe get the discussion going again?

Seems like there is a practical limit to how many pages a single discussion can be and still be a single discussion. It is hard to enter into a discussion with many pages - sort of like being in a class of more than 100 people – to have interaction you have to find a study group.

Is there a test area where one can determine if anyone else wants to discuss a topic, or should one just venture forth and be shot or flamed (if necessary).

From: middle Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a good question, because when I start a new thread with the same gist as another post I get remarks like, "Do your research," or "Save webspace."

But when I retrive old ones, I get remarks like, "I thought this thread died a long time ago."

Good question T and T

From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this quandary. I suppose it depends on the thread in question. Personally I very rarely create new threads; in fact in my whole time here I think I’ve only created a handful. Whatever is on your mind I’m sure you could find a topic in the archives where you thoughts can be shared. If people start to have a go at you for dragging up an old subject then ignore them. Just because you weren’t a member when the subject was discussed the first time around should not discount you from making a contribution to the discussion, no matter how late it may be. Those that make such pointless comments are only reminding everyone that they have been around for longer than you, which is pretty sad really.

~tg

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question - is it really nesseciaary to tick the 'show signature'-thingy everytime you're posting? Oris there something I haven't seen?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lady of the White Flowers

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you want your signature to appear, then yes.

Unfortunately there's no option yet for us forgetful people to have it automatically posted for us.

But I suppose it does help cut down on the space posts take up.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aah, too bad. But thanks []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Lady of the White Flowers

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question. I found an interesting little animated picture of Tolkien with his pipe. (It may look vaguely famliar to some people [] ) Here is the address:

jrrtolkien.org.uk/Graphics/Gifs/jrrtsmoke%20(1).gif

However, if I try to post it I get:
quote:
Sorry, we do not permit the following HTML tag or attribute: Parenthesis in HTML tag
To even get it to show up in this post, I had to delete the "http://www." from right before the address.

Is there any way to post this, or will it do some horrible thing that I don't understand and get me into a whole bunch of trouble?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll host it instead!
I've changed the name to something more browser-friendly.

I don't know if it's possible to get around the parentheses in any way, so this may not answer any question, but at least we get to see the picture.

Look for it now at http://eq5.net/img/tolkimg/jrrtsmoke.gif

Later I might link to it from my Tolkien-page as well ...

[ 06-03-2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Barufiniel ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 17)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help