Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 11)
Author Topic: All Newbie Questions Answered
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've put them in the first post now for all to see! Thorin, I used your 'normally' rule only for those forums with relatively flexible boundaries. I would rather be specific on the literary forums and RP forum and generalise the other forums.

Hope this is ok!

~tg

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, TG!

* writes "owes one more favor to TG" in memo pad *

Thank you!
Now I hope it helps. []

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
=Bump=

Hopefully this thread will be sticky by this weekend!

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*heave*
From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lord Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo! We get to "sticky-ize" it!

Well, we got sticky threads...

[ 02-02-2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Incánus ]

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Captain TheGentleman, I noticed this in the first post:
quote:
2. The Legendarium Project , a project hosted by Maebenn where Tolkien's latest source texts are examined in an effort to put together a new and better The Silmarillion.
I just wanted to tell you that we are not putting together a Silmarillion, we are putting together the whole mythology. [] I'm sorry I don't have a good suggestion for how to improve the wording, but I'm sure you will come up with something appropriate. []
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Sorry Maerbenn! Actually the quote was Fingy's and not mine (if possible I will always pass the blame [] ) - go back a couple of pages and you will see his suggestion.

Since it is your project I would be honoured if you provided the description of what you are doing.

~tg

[ 02-04-2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Captain TG, I really think the 'complaints' information needs to be updated... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

To incorporate the Report Post function?
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Q. I'm after some serious Tolkien material, where do I start?
A. Following is a list of the most prominent resources and community projects here at MT:

1. Your REAL elven name!
2. The Legendarium Project , a project hosted by Maebenn where Tolkien's latest source texts are examined in an effort to put together a new and better The Silmarillion.
3. The Trivia Archives, a project hosted by Lugburz, where old trivia threads are archived on alternate servers, still in preliminary phase.
4. Library of the White Tower , a project hosted by our very own WGW, to participate in this project simply contribute any of the discussions housed in the Library Council of Minas Tirith forum.

I'd suggest editing that question, how about:

Q I'm interested in serious Tolkien discussion...
1. Literary threads
2. Library Council
3. The Legendarium Project

And add another question

Q What resource threads can I find in MT?

1. Your Real Elven name
2. Archiving threads<I'll insert thread from the Pony which brings together all the discussion>
3. RP resource <insert Mandin's thread>
4. Funny threads <will post my thread> []

[]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Role Players' Resource
http://www.minastirith.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000639

The Westmarch Archives
http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003170

Funny threads
http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003016

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Excellent suggestion my friend! Before I edit the list can you think of any other additions? Maybe there are some other members who want to suggest additions to the proposed two lists:

> Thread for serious Tolkien debate

> Threads for Tolkien resource

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I wouldn't link to threads that segregate literary discussion. The legendarium is a project outside MT and a discussion by itself, so it definitely deserves to be on the first list.

The second set would not really be a 'Tolkien' set as it stands.

How about a link to some of the great book-lists in the Pony? The pony has some nice genearal resources that pop up from time to time... Maybe it is time to come up with a general resource thread for the pony. [] And just link to that here...

We live in a world of hierarchy! Just got back from a high-level description of the chip I'm working on. Figured out how insignificantly small my part is. I'm happy that the chip won't work without my contribution though. []

Citizen # 718

Noted. I'll have a dig around before I commit the changes and to give time for other people to make suggestions.

~tg

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sorry Captain TG, forgot to tell that it was the 'report post' that you should add... It was so obvious in my mind that I forgot that it could be confusing for you []

Now, you might want to consider to add my 'Eastern Lands' Thread to the ressource list... Since nobody proposed it, I just thought I'd do it myself!!! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Thanks Nash - I'll edit that question when I edit the resources!

[ 02-05-2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

Roll of Honor Lúthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2934

posted      Profile for Lúthien   Author's Homepage   Email Lúthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question -

How long do we have to hang around here before losing the dreaded "newbie" status []

From: Raleigh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

LOL, Lúthien, maybe we should ask WGW to make KPR's thread sticky []

Captain TG (I just like to call you that way [] ), if you need a short descript of what my thread's about, here it is:

"a project, hosted by Nash Rómerandir, where all the available information about the East, scattered through Tolkien's works, is (slowly) gathered."

It seems fit []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Lúthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2934

posted      Profile for Lúthien   Author's Homepage   Email Lúthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
looking curious ... KPR's thread?
From: Raleigh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

This thread by King Purple rainbow...
Was just a joke anyway []

Citizen # 718

Thank's to Vartalion for suggesting we list all the abbreviations for the books we use.

~tg

Roll of Honor Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2884

posted      Profile for Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   Email Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
BUMP!

*laughs himself stupid*

Sorry bout that, I could'nt resist!

From: NY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ëarlin Solmehína
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3289

posted      Profile for Ëarlin Solmehína   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon the ignorant newbie, but....
What does it mean for a thread to become sticky?
And where and what is Role Playing?
So, I'll just be waiting for someone to call me an ignorant cow... []

Never mind, scratch the Q. about Role Playing. I figured it out. Oopsy! 'pologies. []

[ 02-15-2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Iluvaniel Ithmil Erethna ]

From: The northern shores | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lord Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You ignorant cow!
Sticky threads have this funky icon:  -

They stay at the top of the list of topics regaurdless of the time of the last post.
They also have this weird, sticky stuff on them, and when you touch them, it makes your finger all strange...

[ 02-15-2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Incánus ]

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithy gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2708

posted      Profile for faithy gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email faithy gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
dude, leave him/her alone it's not his/her falt, shes new, alright? ALL HAIL INCÁNUS/MITH.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"your sig is too long"- wgw
"huh?"-faith mauk
this one time, i thought i saw a u.f.o., but it was just a plane, so i waved at it.

From: under a pointy hat. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 11)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help