Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 1)
Author Topic: All Newbie Questions Answered
Roll of Honor TheGentleman
Captain of the Newbie Guard
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - we are getting an influx of new members and I seem to be constantly answering the same questions, this often causes a horrible rash to appear on my left knee so I have created this new thread to stop that.

Please Note: Read the FAQs First

Just ask a question and the answer will be placed in this top post like this:

Q. What does IIRC stand for?
A. If I Recall Correctly.

Q. Why do people post *BUMP*?
A. Whenever a post is made to a thread it immediately jumps to the top of the forum and is placed in the "Recent Posts" page. Posting *BUMP* is a way of forcing this to happen to remind others of the thread and to signal that they want the discussion to continue.

Q. What does the Report Post button do?
A. If you find a post particularly offensive or you think a post may offend somebody else then you can click this button to send an automated e-mail to WGW which will provide him with a link directly to the offending post. WGW is a busy man so only use this function when you have no alternative.

Q. What does 'RFP' mean?
A. Read the First Post. Newbies often make a post after having only read the title of the thread and the last post. This can make you look like an idiot if you post something irrelevant or something that has already been said. Ideally you should read the whole thread before posting but at the very least you should Read the First Post.

Q. I got the message 'Flood error. The administrator has enabled the flood protection feature. Wait at least 45 seconds before trying to repost. If you use the back button on your browser you may lose your post.' What does this mean?
A. This message will occur if you try and submit more than one post in any thread or forum within 45 seconds of each other. It is to prevent people with slower connections accidentally submitting the same message twice.

Q. What is a sticky thread?

A. Sticky threads have this icon in front of the thread title:  - . All threads are listed in descending order by the date of the last post. A sticky thread will always be at the top of the thread list regardless of the date of the last post.

Q. Do you use abbreviations for JRR Tokien's books?

A. Yes, the most commonly used ones are:

LotR: The Lord of the Rings
FotR: The Fellowship of the Ring
TT: The Two Towers
RotK: The Return of the King
The Sil: The Silmarillion
HoME: The History of Middle Earth

Some people also abbreviate each volume of HoME or they simply say HoME V1 for The Book of Lost Tales etc.

Q. Where should I be posting my threads?

A. In order to keep MT organized it is important that when you create a new thread you create it in the right forum. Below is a list of forums with a general guideline outlining what threads belong where.

Lord of the Rings
Post any threads that relate directly to the book of the same title (this includes all three parts: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King) including questions and thoughts about plot and characters within the main story and the appendices. Ideally keep all the threads related to the book rather than the films.

Silmarillion
Post any threads that relate directly to the book of the same title including questions and thoughts about plot and characters within the stories.

The Hobbit
Post any threads that relate directly to the book of the same title including questions and thoughts about plot and characters within the story.

History of Middle-earth
Post any threads that relate directly to the books of the same title (there are roughly thirteen volumes depending upon publication) including questions and thoughts about plot and characters within the stories and reference materials.

Reference Material
Post any threads that relate directly to any books or websites that reference Tolkien and his works. These include non-Middle Earth books by Tolkien (Farmer Giles of Ham, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and JRR Tolkien Letters) as well as books published by other authors on Tolkien’s works (e.g. The Atlas of Middle Earth, and A Tolkien Bestiary).

Library Council of Minas Tirith
The library is White Gold Wielder’s brain-child. Post any threads in the form of a question that require serious debate from our most knowledgeable members to answer. For more information on the library council go here.

Current Film Production
Normally, post any threads that relate to the film version of The Lord of the Rings including information and questions on the entire cast and crew.

Other Tolkien Productions
Normally, post any threads that relate to other Tolkien productions including the BBC radio series and the cartoon versions the most prominent of which is the Ralph Bakshi ‘rotoscope’ film *recoils in horror.

Computer Games
Normally, post any threads that relate to computer games in general. Although there are now many Tolkien related computer games the discussions here are not restricted to them alone.

Fantasy Games
Normally, post any threads that relate to all other non-electronic games. Ideally keep the theme here one of Tolkien gaming, or Tolkien-influenced gaming (which arguably could encompass all fantasy gaming).

The Prancing Pony
Simple – if it doesn’t fit in any of the other forums, post the thread here. Non-Tolkien discussions are welcome here.

The Green Dragon
Post any new Role Plays (RPs) here. When starting a new RP it is good form to create a second thread which has the same name as the RP but with ‘Word Aside’ added. This thread contains any out of character discussion. Non-Tolkien RPs are welcome although it is preferred if the Role Plays are fantastical in nature.

The Golden Perch
Normally, post any threads with a more mature theme and anything related to alcohol and its effect on your mental state.

The Floating Log
An excellent place to start! Post your welcome threads here as well as any questions you have about the site.

The Ivy Bush
Normally, post any threads here if you are a mature members and would like the opinions of other mature members. Mature doesn’t just mean age but refers to the time you have been a fan of Tolkien.

Bag End Auctions
If you have anything you want to sell that is Tolkien related or you are seeking something Tolkien related, post a thread here with the details.

Minas Tirith Site Announcements
You cannot create threads in this forum.

Q. I'm after some serious Tolkien material, where do I start?
A. Following is a list of the most prominent resources and community projects here at MT:

1. Your REAL elven name!
2. The Legendarium Project , a project hosted by Maebenn where Tolkien's latest source texts are examined in an effort to put together a new and better The Silmarillion.
3. The Trivia Archives, a project hosted by Lugburz, where old trivia threads are archived on alternate servers, still in preliminary phase.
4. Library of the White Tower , a project hosted by our very own WGW, to participate in this project simply contribute any of the discussions housed in the Library Council of Minas Tirith forum.

Q. How do I post a picture?
A. First, find the image on the Internet that you wish to post. Right-click that image and go to properties. Depending on which browser you are using you will see the address (URL) of that image. Copy (highlight and press ‘Control’ and ‘C’ together) the entire thing, from http:// to the file extension at the end. It will look something like this:

http://www.minastirith.com/ubb/icons/icon35.gif

Go to MT and post a new message. In that message click the Image button and paste (press ‘Control’ and ‘V’ together) the address (URL) into the prompt box. Make sure you include the http:// Click OK and the image code will appear in your message.

Q. I have a complaint about a particular citizen, what should I do?
A. If you have any serious complaints about a particular citizen I would first suggest that you ask yourself whether it is a problem and if it is really affecting you and the community, often something that annoys you is not seen as an annoyance by others. If your answer is 'yes' then try and handle it yourself: send a polite message to the offender telling him or her that their behavior is affecting you and the community and that you suggest they stop it, try and get a dialogue with them - you'll probably find that they oblige willingly. If you have no joy and that person is still offending you and the community then I suggest you contact WGW, you will find that he is very reasonable. As a last resort you could always start a thread about it in an attempt to air the issue, you may find however that rarely do people agree so this approach is risky and may cause animosity - the last thing you want is to make yourself look bad!

Q. What does 'BTW' mean?
A. By The Way.

Q. What Does 'LOL' Mean?
A. Laugh/ing Out Loud. Variations include LMAO (Laughing My Arse Off) and ROTFL (Rolling On The Floor Laughing).

Q. What do ‘spamming’ and ‘flaming’ mean?
A. Spamming (which traditionally is un-solicited e-mail) also affects MT. The most common occurrence is when people post one-line/one-word comments in threads. Depending on the nature of that thread will depend on the disruption such spamming will cause. For example: one line posts would not necessarily disrupt an inn, but it would an hot debate in the Library. The key is to think carefully before you post so as not to annoy others. A typical example would be posting 'I agree' to reply to somebody's 500 word essay on why Balrogs had wings.

Flaming is when somebody is deliberately rude or offensive to another. For example if I posted “TheGentleman – you are an annoying little a*sehole!”, that would be both rude and offensive and would be considered flaming. The same applies to PMs.

Q. Why are there members with citizen numbers higher than the actual population of the city?
A. WGW will delete any user account that has been created but never posted after one month of joining. If a user creates an account and posts (even if it is only once) within one month of joining then it will 'never' be deleted. And yes, there have been that many. The citizen number of new members is automaticaly generated by an increase of 1 on the previous citizen number, this is not affected when members are deleted which is why there is a discrepancy between the two.

Q. How do I get an avatar (the picture under your username)?
A. If you read WGW's first post on the Avatars - Read First Post thread it will explain what you need to do.

Q. What Does OOC Mean?
A. Out Of Character. This is normally used in Role Play when you wish to mention something without affecting the plot of the story. Most RPs however have a word aside thread for this purpose so check with the RP owner before you post OCC comments in any RP.

Q. Can you post a picture that isn't already on another website?
A. No. To do so would require you uploading the picture to the MT server. Currently there is no function to do that and I doubt there ever will be (unless you all donate loads of money).

Q. Can you change your screen name?
A. Yes, although this can get confusing for other members. If you do decide to change your screen name then when you are logged in click the PROFILE link, then at the top of the screen click the VIEW/UPDATE PROFILE link. In this screen you can change your screen name. Please note that your member number and avatar will remain the same so others may still be able to recognise you.

Q. What Does IMHO?
A. In My Humble Opinion.

Q. On the Forum Summary (Home) page, what is the voting link at the top of the page for?
A. Clicking the 'Have you voted at TolkienWorld today?' link will register a vote for Minas Tirith on that site. These sites have attracted many newbies in the past...some people think that is good, others think that is bad so whether you vote or not is up to you.

Q. What Does 'sic' and 'j/k' mean?
A. Use 'sic' when you wish to notify the reader that any miss-spelling or mistake you have made in your post was intended. It is usually used when quoting another individual who has misspelled a word, so as not to associate the misspelling with the current writer. 'j/k' means 'just kidding', 'joke' or 'joking'.

Q. What is the Buddy/Ignore List?
A. If you add someone to your buddy list their name will always appear in your profile. This serves no purpose other than to provide a quick link to private message those people. Otherwise you would need to search for a post by them or find them in the citizen list. Adding someone to your ignore list stops those people from sending you private messages.

Q. Who is citizen #1?
A. Most of you will notice that White Gold Wielder (WGW), the steward and almighty master of MT is citizen #2. Citizen #1 is the default administrator account created by the bulletin board upon its inception. It is not WGW's evil twin brother.

Q. Can you edit/delete a thread?
A. If you started the thread, yes. Simply click the quill at the top of your first post (the one you made when starting the topic) and edit/delete the thread from there.

Q. What's with all the newbie killings, bullet proof vests, *BANG*, and such?
A. This is a joke. It is nothing personal to you as all new comers to MT are welcome with open arms. The shooting of newbies is something that has been going on at MT for a few years and has become more of an 'in' joke. If you ignore it, it will go away. In the meantime do not take it personally.

Q. Can you change the colour, size, or font of your text?
A. No. Although you can embolden text by placing [ b ] text here [ / b ] around your text, or italicise text by placing [ I ] text here [ / I ] around your text (without the spaces).

Q. What are PMs, and how do I check, read, and send them?
A. PM or Private Messages are messages you can send to other members of Minas Tirith in...erm...private. To check your PMs simply click the PROFILE link in the top right hand corner of the screen when logged in. At the bottom of your profile screen will be all of the PMs you have sent and received. Unread messages are listd in bold. To read these messages simply click the title. You can reply to a PM in the same manner you post in a thread.

To send somebody a PM, simply click the scroll (some people think this is a telescope) at the top of any of the respective member's posts.

Q. What is TORC, TORN, BD, MT, RB?
A. TORC is theonering.com TORN is theonering.net BD is barrowdowns.com and MT is our humble Minas Tirith, RB is ringbearer.org!

Q. How do you use smilies in the body of your post?
A. There is a list of available smilies shown whenever you post a new message. These are the smilies available for your use. Hold you mouse over the relevant smilie and a code will appear next to your cursor that looks similar to this (without the spaces) '; 2 3' Use this exact code in the body of your message, so typing this example will give you this: [] . You can now also click on a smilie and and the code will appear in your post.

Q. What are the icons at the top of each post?
A. Book - That user's profile
Tower - That user's homepage
Palantír - Email that user
Scroll - Send private message (pm)
Quill - Edit or Delete post

[ 01-18-2006, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: TheGentleman ]

From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiMuBai
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1111
posted      Profile for LiMuBai   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well what does the book, telescope, etc. at the top of each post mean?

and can you edit posts?

From: Philippines | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1113
posted      Profile for Sil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can answer that one Li.

The ink pot with the feather on it is where you go to Edit/Delete messages.

The book means profile.

The telescope means to send a private message.

The globe thingie means to E-mail someone.

From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's right and the tower is a link to someone's homepage (if they have one) i always thought that the 'telescope' was a rolled up parchment
(i'm only new so i don't really know much)

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1113
posted      Profile for Sil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm..! You could be right. That very well could be a rolled up parchment.

From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, it is a scroll
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duzak
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 389

posted      Profile for Duzak   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that these accursed newbies haven't been eaten, lynched, burnt or otherwise disposed of yet?
From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1110
posted      Profile for Gwen   Edit/Delete Post 
Because deep down inside you love us.

How and why do you "rate" people here??

From: US | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

posted      Profile for TheGentleman   Email TheGentleman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Gwen - your question is answered above.
From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1110
posted      Profile for Gwen   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks TG. I hope your knee clears up.
From: US | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duzak
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 389

posted      Profile for Duzak   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Love? Hah!
I hate the word, as I hate hell, all newcomers, and thee.

-----

Q: Why have the newbies started answering back instead of dying quietly?

From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erati
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 735
posted      Profile for Erati   Email Erati   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Being a newbie i take that personally so here we go, *pulls out a tazer and a riot sheild and attacks*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie I am Doomed die.

From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adanedhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1011

posted      Profile for Adanedhel   Email Adanedhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Because! All newbies will rise up in anger and....and.......i don't know
*watches erati, get absolutley massacred*
some newbies keep there mouths shut while others (like myself at times) like to answer back to show that we are not stupid or 'too young to understand'
*quickly hides, and puts on all manner of protective gear*

From: Hithlum (Dor-Lomin) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erati
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 735
posted      Profile for Erati   Email Erati   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*use's his last ounce of strength to chuck his tazer at Duzak and then, throughs his riot sheild at Adanedhel then falls*

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Erati ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie I am Doomed die.

From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Hmmm...so I guess you all know everything...

When I say ask questions I'm refering to questions that may not have anything to do with functionality but more to do with the society at MT. Questions like: 'what is P.O.N.S?' and 'who or what is WGW?'.

Anyways...if you need the answer to a question like this ask it here so we can let everyone know.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I will PM newbies for one reason or another, but most newbies don't know how to check their PM's, since they are kind of hidden in their profile.

So the question should be:

What are PMs, and how do I check, read, and send them?

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twilight dreams
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1335
posted      Profile for twilight dreams   Email twilight dreams   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
heres one, can you change the colour of your text? and if so how? size too

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Miseris succerre disco-I learn to succour the unfortunate

IXOYE

li'l sis of erin, and naz, and elian

lady ever to the most valient and courageous knight EnderAWiggin

From: the state of insanity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

We used to be able to change font type, size, color etc., but we haven't been able to since the board upgrade.

The feature might return someday though

twilight dreams
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1335
posted      Profile for twilight dreams   Email twilight dreams   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
tanks
From: the state of insanity | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tanks are large heavily armoured vehicles, used by the military and usually armed with some form of large cannon on the top. They have little (some would claim nothing) to do with Tolkien's works, which were generally set in more archaic world in which such technology had not been devised.

The following passage, from The Hobbit, may help to shed some light on the matter:

quote:
It is not unlikely that they [goblins] invented some of the machines that have since troubled the world, especially the ingenious devices for killing large numbers of people at once, for wheels and engines and explosions always delighted them, and also not working with their own hands more than they could help; but in those days and those wild parts they had not advanced (as it is called) so far.
It might thus be hypothesised that by the time of the War of the Ring, some 80 odd years later, tanks had been invented by this people. I would deem it unlikely, since such a machine would hardly go uncommented upon by the hobbits why composed the Red Book, but perhaps the 'batterring ram' Grond was actually a primitive form of tank. It was, to the best of my knowledge, not seen first hand by any of the hobbits, and so they might have tried to explain it in terms which they understood.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Nice.
radagasttoo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1354

posted      Profile for radagasttoo   Author's Homepage   Email radagasttoo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am a newbie, and I can't tell if Duzak is having fun with newbies, or is he intentionally mean?? Duzak??

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
All your base are belong to us!

From: Rhosgobel (Just around the corner from Mirkwood) | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Arwen2004 and mellon - your questions have been answered above.
Maikatellumaiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1301

posted      Profile for Maikatellumaiel   Author's Homepage   Email Maikatellumaiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ok, thanks for answering my other question! And I have another. Can you change the title of a Topic?
From: Over there looking at a thing in a bag. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Citizen # 718

Updated
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » All Newbie Questions Answered (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help