Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » How'd you find your way here? (Page 6)
Author Topic: How'd you find your way here?
Manveri
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1806

posted      Profile for Manveri   Author's Homepage   Email Manveri   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i found here through search engine
yahoo!!! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Yet my heart loves December`s smile /As much as July`s golden beam;/ Then let us sit and watch the while/ The blue ice curdling on the stream"
(Emily Jane Brontë)
~Newt chicks kick ass~

From: Brazil, São Paulo City | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2296

posted      Profile for Mormegil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking for a picture of some guy I wanted to draw (I'm an artist)I accidentaly found a link to a forum, thought it was interesting, looked around for more forums, ended up at Rotten Tomatoes, found a link from that forum to here. I found nothing better so I joined here! I never found the picture.
From: Nargothrond | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Neytari Took told me about it. [] I actually signed up in October of 2001 as "Lillianna Greenleaf", but was unable to post much so I got deleted. [] In Feb of this year I signed up again...
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Turned left at Belfalas...

[]

With all apologies to J. Lennon.

Found it at the voting site. Said #1, so I thought I'd drop in and see what the #1 rated Tolkien site was like.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Golden Evenstar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2352

posted      Profile for Golden Evenstar   Email Golden Evenstar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
....I was on Ringbearer.org and found this much improved website. Blessings!!
From: Rivendall | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elsilme
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1925

posted      Profile for Elsilme   Email Elsilme   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking for an alternative to TORN at about the same time the article in Yahoo magazine came out. I had been searching systematically through the sites listed til I found MT. I stopped searching. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
They came to sit & dangle their feet off the edge of the world & after awhile they forgot everything but the good and true things they would do someday. - Brian Andreas

One wise man went up against a city of warriors and brought down the stronghold in which they trusted. - Proverbs 21:22

From: Ossiriand | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaLoMe
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2386
posted      Profile for SaLoMe   Author's Homepage   Email SaLoMe   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard about this site a lot over the internet but never checked it out. I got really frustrated with other places because they were either already in little groups and hated new people or only wanted to talk about the movie or its actors (not that i dont talk about the movie or its actors, just i wanted some place i could talk about the books as well). So i came over here and i really like it []

[ 08-03-2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: SaLoMe ]

From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EvenstarUndomiel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2060

posted      Profile for EvenstarUndomiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am a member of TORC and RB and somebody from MT came on asking if anybody posted here as well as at TORC. Even though I didn't post here (yet, lol), I thought, hey! another MB! I surfed on over and started posting! If you have any other credible Tolkien MB's let me know, because I love them all!

EvenstarUndomiel

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"It has been many years since I walked in Imladris."

Proud TORC, RB, GH, and MT member!

"Never moon a werewolf."
~Mike Binder~

*Bearer of the Life Ring of the Singing Heart~ Zeniphyr
*Lady to the charming Elf_Archer
*Proud Member of UFO
*Jesus Freak
*Dictator of the Soprano Supremacy
*Amanvilyaien-learned in the ways of healing and herb-lore

From: Imladris | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I first discovered this place around the time that Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring opened in cinemas. Before that time I was barely familiar with the internet at all (let alone the hundreds of Tolkien-related sites), but I began to look around for any information concerned with the new trilm. I probably found this place and many others by doing a Google search, essentially, but perhaps indirectly via a link from some other place (so I can't properly answer the original question of this thread - hardly a major disaster a year and a half after it was posed!). I initially rummaged through a lot of websites, but the clarity and simplicity of Minas Tirith brought me here most frequently. At first, I found that MT was much easier on the eye, and did not suffer from the excess of different forums which make some other sites difficult to navigate. As I became more familiar with various sites, I began to find that many of the others had a rather oppressive-feeling system of moderators, rules and citizen ratings (a suffocating degree of organisation which is, indeed, antithetical to the spirit of Tolkien's work), and before long I was visiting only MT regularly.

For over three months I visited MT almost every day, as a guest, but (not being a remarkably chatty sort of person) had no strong desire to register. I noticed that there were a few occasions when I might have posted an answer to a certain question or a response to some comment, but did not feel that it was worth registering for such one-offs. But one day (for no good reason that I can remember) I decided to sign up. I intended and believed that my posting rights would be exercised only on rare, isolated occasions (otherwise I wouldn't have chosen such a stupid name). Little did I know what a slippery slope I was stepping onto! Before long I found myself wandering about the forums and concerning myself in every business, whether it belonged to me or not. And giving ridiculously long answers to simple questions.

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, let me think.
I went to a search engine which took me to the former 25 hobbits. Then I went to MinasTirith from there. That was when MT had a very high rating on 25Hobbits. What ever happened to that?!? It was the first message board i ever joined and the only one i post on. I do have memberships to other ones started when MT was down but i never use them. MT is my only home!

From: Northern NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I heard of this site from one of your patrons (I don't remember her name here on these boards). She heard about Dagorhir in a Fantasy Games discussion, got my name from the Dagorhir website, and emailed me because I'm starting up a chapter near her (in Oregon). I asked her how she had heard about Dagorhir, and she told me about this site, so I just had to come see for myself. []

Also, the name I use on these boards is just my Dagorhir persona name. Whenever I finish my impression of an Eorling warrior (accurate armour, shield, helm, weapons, etc.), I'll post a link here or something.

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HT
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 282
posted      Profile for HT   Email HT   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Funny WGW should mention it, but I found this site in exactly the same way that he describes it in the first post of this thread. I was entering LOTR-related site names into the address bar of my Internet browser.

I got lucky.

From: Cambridge, ON | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I thought I had already posted here. *shrug* Obviously not. []

While trying to find information on the history of Gondor for the fanfic I began in February, I stumbled upon something called Minas Tirith. Knowing this was the City of Gondor, I instantly clicked upon the link and hoped to find enough information for my character's ancestry.

I found more than I could have hoped for. But I didn't post here much at first. I started my "Newbie" thread and then, finding not much to do, I found another board and started posting there. But I soon grew bored of it and came back to Minas Tirith looking for info on Rhûn (another part of my character's problematic ancestry). I found the Newbie Chocolate House in the Prancing Pony (as it was back in April) and stayed for good.

I guess you should all thank Estella Brandybuck for that. []

As for me, I've never wanted to find a better Tolkien board. Sure Minas Tirith has had its problems, but they were nothing to do with the site itself... just a few niggling newbies.

[]

Minas Tirith is my home.

[ 08-09-2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nárindo: Platypus of the Night... Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë
"Platypus - I'm amazed at how your mind works." Snow Wizard
"That's far too smart, Brae. You take that intelligence elsewhere, it doesn't belong in this thread!" Éomer
"Platypus- you were always a monotreme with exquisite tastes!" Thingol

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eulalia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2417

posted      Profile for Eulalia   Author's Homepage   Email Eulalia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I came here from a place called "The Bluffs." It's run by a self-described "Tolkien fanatic."
;-)

From: kansas city, mo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine, Deraj the Plaid, showed me here. You can go yell at him now. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I win!

From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tsutsi and Tisza
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4190
posted      Profile for Tsutsi and Tisza   Email Tsutsi and Tisza   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Bump*
Cool stories of the days of yore, before Google walked abroad in the land.
What about you newer folks, how’d you get here?

Most detailed previous post: Glóin
Most evasive post: Earendilyon.

also some related posts

We Googled our way here, and lurked for months before we decided to actually join, because we had important questions that would not be answered except by posting them, and we like to do something new every once in a while.

[ 03-22-2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Tsutsi and Tisza ]

From: middle Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
posted      Profile for Ninj   Email Ninj   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... What a genuinely awesome thread!

Good find, I must say!

I myself got here via the old 'www.somethingtodowithtolkien.com' method.

Believe it or not, I came here before I'd finished RoTK, and hadn't even picked up The Hobbit or The Silm.

[ 03-22-2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Ninj ]

From: The magical elven realmadi-blah-di-blah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Tindómerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3721

posted      Profile for Tindómerel   Author's Homepage   Email Tindómerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Blame Elentari Star Queen and Anarial Took for showing me here.
From: a small hole in the ground | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Elentári Tintallë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3734

posted      Profile for Elentári Tintallë   Email Elentári Tintallë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! []

And blame Tindomerel for showing me that this site had something other than lit. forums. Otherwise, I would have never found out. []

From: Nórë Vercieva- i Opelë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nanyé andúril i né narsil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4309
posted      Profile for Nanyé andúril i né narsil   Email Nanyé andúril i né narsil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i was searching around for peoples interpretations of what the white city would look like, i was getting anywhere though, and in desperation i just typed "www.minastirith.com" in the address bar and ended up on the splash page, came in looked around, and deceided to sign up

if only other examples of random address searching yileded such good results

From: Leeds, England | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Tindómerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3721

posted      Profile for Tindómerel   Author's Homepage   Email Tindómerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elen- Shhh!! I don't know if that's a good thing.

[ 03-22-2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Tindómerel ]

From: a small hole in the ground | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Elentári Tintallë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3734

posted      Profile for Elentári Tintallë   Email Elentári Tintallë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it isn't. That's why I said it. []
From: Nórë Vercieva- i Opelë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Tindómerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3721

[]
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Internet search for "Tolkien message board."

I know, lame. But it's the truth. []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor -Laurelin-
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3717

posted      Profile for -Laurelin-   Email -Laurelin-   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I (unlike, it appears, everyone else) hadn't even heard of 25 Hobbits, and had stopped going to The One Ring.net because it was too damn slow. So I started punching random names into the computer and found this place, which I enjoy and hope to become more involved in.
Exact same story.
From: Québec | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Floating Log » How'd you find your way here? (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help