Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  39  40  41 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » The Unexpected Party : A Parisian in New York (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Unexpected Party : A Parisian in New York
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If there were money to sustain that lifestyle, it would not be too bad. [] I do not want to work. [] Good thing I still study. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have no classes left.
Well, I have 40 days of classes left []
And then two weeks of exams [] []

quote:
And I hate the dentist more.
Why does everyone hate the dentist ? []

quote:
I like classes. I wish I could be in school forever and never have to work
I second that []

E : Oh my god, I just got back from a ballet. It was SO amazing. Balanchine and Forsythe [] [] []

[ 05-08-2008, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why does everyone hate the dentist ?
Spoken like someone who has never had a root canal. []

Well, let's see... when I was ten, I had to have a tooth pulled to make room for a palette expansion device so I could later get braces. Fortunately, my dentist must have been going a little senile, as he pulled one of my permanent teeth without any anaesthetic at all.

The expansion device itself kept me on a liquid diet three days a week for two years because it's too painful to chew after you ratchet it up.

Then the braces themselves, which were affixed to me by the cheapest guy around because my mother didn't have insurance at the time. I would later learn that he wasn't even a certified orthodontist, and my teeth look five times worse than they did before the braces. One tooth was shoved out of place so badly that it has given me a crossbite that prevents me from chewing properly on the left side of my face, makes sleep difficult, and has actually exposed the dentin on one root, thereby stripping the protection of enamel from that particular spot.

And anyway, dentists stick sharp metal things IN YOUR MOUTH. What's not to hate? []

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! But never mind the Dentist, I'm off to the Oral Hygienist, the person who actually mucks about with your teeth tomorrow, 10:00! That's worse!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, why are you talking about dentists when I'm just about to see one? [] Thankfully it's just a check-up (but I fear what she may say [] ).

quote:
And anyway, dentists stick sharp metal things IN YOUR MOUTH. What's not to hate?
Exactly!

My story involves a dentist not knowing that the tooth he had pulled out was a baby tooth, and I still had an adult tooth to come... yet he gave me a frickin' filling! [] And, of course, I had major pain later. []

[edit] 4 hours later... I'm back! And the teeth are all good! [] *drinks lots of Coke, and chomps down on some Snakes* []

[ 05-09-2008, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]

From: Mnemosyne's loft | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now quit dissing cars, people. [] Since Wetty isn’t around, I’ll try to explain it.

An excellent car is a work of art. It is more an extension of the soul than the body. With tiny twitches of the hands or feet, the machine leaps into action, moving faster than any living animal. The body is stationary, strapped into a seat. Yet the car twists, turns, and growls like a primal animal. It is very visceral, and the joys are an instinctual joy of movement, speed and sound.

The experience is primal, and the heart races with adrenaline while the mind flashes with images and thoughts that our ancestors felt but modern Man has lost with boring commutes in busses or mass-market Minis.

I’ll tell you what, Inc. When Eled and I finally come to Paris to visit, I’ll rent a Ferrari for the day. We’ll make Eled wait at Sacre-Coeur and you and I will start from the Porte Dauphine. We’ll re-enact C’etait un rendezvous. When we’re done, I bet you change your mind about cars (if I don't kill us, that is). []

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I never had any major problems related to the dentist. So it goes.

When I got my wisdom teeth removed, though, the second operation took an hour. And it doesn't bother me that the dentist has stuff in my mouth (yet I still copiously vomitted afterwards both times in his office [] )

I have a very weird mouth. When I close my mouth, my lower teeth actually touch my palate. A few years ago, a so-called orthodontist gave me some kind of mouth piece to get rid of that problem. The only thing it did was making my gums bleed like crazy.
Aside from the fact I never went to see that woman again ( [] ) I don't have a problem with dentits.

I'm sorry about you, though. Hope you'll get better []
Good that your teeth are fine, Brae !

Thorin - I think I could slightly change my mind when I learn how to drive. Seems to be essential to appreciate fully cars.
Good call on the Ferrari idea ! [] []
I actually only went to Sacré-Coeur once []
But don't come to Paris while I'm away []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today is the day.

Long ago when my mom decided to homeschool us, she joined a local homeschool support group. We met every Friday (during the school year) for classes taught by the moms (or dads or graduated students, ect). Everything from crafts and acting to math, Spanish, and anatomy. Unfortunately, that group got bleh, so our family split off with a few other families to start a new group. This new group rocked.

This year, the last three original families (including ours) are graduating their youngest kids. New people will be taking over the school. And today is the last day of classes []

I don't know what my mom's gonna do with herself...She's been leading the worship service every week since we began. She taught two classes every week until they added another hour, and then she taught three. It's been awesome for her...

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aww... maybe your mom could do part-time teaching at a school? I think she'd be great. She's such a cool mom. []

Thorin - hey if Inc' is lame and doesn't like the Ferrari idea, Nick and I would be MORE than happy to take you up on that "Rent a Ferrari for the Day" idea. [] *drools*
Can it be this one please?
 -
[] []
OM NOM NOM NOM
So delicious!

Or, actually can we use this car instead?
 -
[]

Speaking of cars, I have to go to the dealership today and haggle with them to get me the little nothing of a hyundai accent coupe down to 6500, if I can. In my opinion, 8000 is WAY too much for this little thing. Sure, it has low mileage but it's a HYUNDAI. That should dock me 2000 on the spot! Hehe.

Man I hate needing a car when I'm poor. []

[ 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
DAMN

They wouldn't take my offer. Bastards. I know they could have gone lower. They couldn't have paid that much for that car. Ugh.

I hate being poor.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in your car hunt, Lills!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Time for one of the three grandest road cycling events - the Giro d'Italia! []

I will follow it as much as I can, as the 3 weeks extends across my exam period (it ends the day preceding my last exam, i.e. June 1st). []

3 weeks of combined stress and joy. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Oh, do you actually feel stressed sometimes ?
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

No. Which is why I was unsure about using that word. [] But it illustrates the dilemma an odrinary student would have suffered. []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

An ordinary student wouldn't feel any joy about watching the Giro []
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Which proves again that I'm not ordinary. []
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hope things work out, Lills []

My sister is watching Pirates of the Caribbean....FRENCH DUB [] [] [] I really want to watch the REAL one...Jack Sparrow sounds half asleep []

Hey, overseas people, are dubs of English movies popular, or do people try to watch the films in their original language (with subtitles, if they don't speak it)?

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

In Norway, all movies (except kiddie-stuff) are in the original language, with Norwegian subtitles.

I watched that very film on work this summer with bosnian subtitles. I may suppose they are doing the same as Norway.

Skiing in Austria, the films on TV was dubber. In Greece, there were subtitles.

E: For all except the former: This is just what I have encountered, there might be differences.

[ 05-10-2008, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Norwegian subtitiles seem odd to me for some reason! Also a little Monty Pythonist! Anyway, I'm off to Brighton tomorrow. Not, Inc, because I am going to the Gay capital of Britain [] But because I am told that the weather is going to be extremely hot and I fancy a day by the seaside on my day off!

[ 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Norwegian subtitiles seem odd to me for some reason! Also a little Monty Pythonist!
It seems perfectly natural to me. []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Thanks, Ney. I'll be looking at a PT Cruiser like this tomorrow:
 -
The buyers are selling it for a pretty reasonable price, but I just looked up the gas mileage on this thing and it's not great. [] Oh well.

[ 05-11-2008, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

quote:
Also a little Monty Pythonist!
Great compliment. []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

In France, you can find most foreign movies both with subtitles or in French. I always choose the subtitles option, as most of my friends do, except my roomate - stupid girl []

E : forgot a word []

[ 05-11-2008, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Yes, we shall go cycling for a while now, and then return to watch some Giro d'Italia. []
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Creeps into a corner of the room muttering something about 'job....long hours', waves half-heartedly, and then falls asleep in the corner smelling of sea air and sun-tan lotion*
From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » The Unexpected Party : A Parisian in New York (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  39  40  41 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help