Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » The New-Expected Party (Page 1)
Author Topic: The New-Expected Party
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, basically :

You all should remember that during the Long-Expected Party, we - as in "we, people who were at the Party [] " - had said that :

• We had thought it could be a good idea to make that an annual thing
  • That it would be a good thing that the next one should take place in the States, as the first was in Europe (Aussies ? Here ? Where ? [] )
  • That Addie and Saeros had offered to host it.

Well, unfortunately it seems like next summer our hostess will be either in Japan, Florida or Ghana. So, no can do, amigo.

What we were wondering is thus this (Gosh, try to pronounce this sentence very quickly lots of times [] ) :

• Do people want this to happen ?
  • If so, is anyone - living in the States - interested in hosting the Party ?
  • Is renting some place an option ?

I'll edit this post, I guess, with the info everyone will give.

This was my first thread [] []

E : I'd like to remind everyone that this Party would be open to every MTer.

Possibilities during summer (who, where and when) :

Europe : Amárië, Derry, NI, UK. Can host one person. Summer.
Eluchil, Brussels, Belgium. Summer. Hosting : I guess a couple ?
States : Belthronding, Boston, MA. Hosting : ? Summer
Gna, TX. Hosting : a few. June.
CloudStrife, South TX. Hosting : ? Summer
bombadil, ID. Hosting : about 10. Summer

[ 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to host it here in Cali, but that would require me doing work. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that the last Party was thrown by donkey's slave... []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you throw it in the states this year, I'll throw a temper-tantrum.
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Then you host it, Ama!
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd actually love to, but I don't think my dorm room is a big enough space...
From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

Rent a pub, then. []

Or find an abandoned warehouse and have a rave! [] []

Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do it.

Too bad it wasn't earlier in the year, autumn's the best time to visit Boston.

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Amá, this is definitely becoming very ironic, isn't it ? []

[] @ Goddess, you had the idea, why don't you host a rave ? []

Bel - this could be great ! [] although I'm not sure a quiver is big enough either []

E : You can also try to answer the following question : if the Party takes place in the States, will yo attend to it ? If you won't, would you attend to another one thrown elsewhere ?
Please don't say "I'm gonna be there" if you're not sure. We don't want the "32 people being in fact 10" situation to happen again.

[ 10-18-2007, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Have it in Europe and I'll be there. []
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A good point would also be for the potential organisers to mention exactly when the party would take place.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Maybe there should be two - one for Americans and one for Europeans, and that way those who can't afford transatlantic flights can still go. And those that can could go to both...
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Another one in Europe? Meaning I won't have to wait two years after all? []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I see with two parties is that if some of the Europeans wouldn't make the extra effort to come here when there's a party on their continent, we wouldn't get a chance to meet them!
*is a snug american*

From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Yeah, I guess it could be counterproductive...I don't know, we need more views anyway.
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the two-continents, two-parties idea is good. Noone is going to fly over the pond for a day or two, even to meet the most wonderful people. It's just too expensive for most of us, and an inner-continental fly is already a serious cut in one's budget.
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

Basically, what I see it coming down to if there continues to only be one party is that those who are on a limited budget have to wait and wait and wait if they ever want to go to a party, while those with plenty of money get to galivant around to other countries and meet all the other MT'ers.

On a personal level, I'm a graduate student on a very limited budget, especially when it comes to the exchange rate being as poor as it is right now. I can't even afford to fly home at Christmas this year, so I certainly can't afford to fly home for an MT party.

On the other hand, I would desperately like to meet MT'ers. I would love to participate in one of these parties. I could afford $100 or so for a Ryanair flight to somewhere in Europe, but not $800 or so for a transcontinental flight.

What's wrong with having two parties? I highly doubt that there would be that much inter-continental criss-cross anyway. Wasn't Addie the only non-european at the last party? And it's not like people would be checking passports at the door and turning you away if you were from the other side of the world.

The way I see it, everyone should be welcome at both, but there should be one both in Europe and the United States. It won't affect those with money to travel, but it puts a party in reach of those who don't.

Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wasn't Addie the only non-european at the last party?
Yes, Saeros and I were the only people from the States. However, part of the reason I did it was to prove to myself that the following is not necessarily true:

quote:
those with plenty of money get to galivant around to other countries and meet all the other MT'ers.
I do not have "plenty of money" and I cannot "galivant" about whenever I choose. I made that party because I made going a priority and I spent 8 months working and planning to make it happen. Lovely friends in other countries don't hurt, either. []
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

quote:
I do not have "plenty of money" and I cannot "galivant" about whenever I choose. I made that party because I made going a priority and I spent 8 months working and planning to make it happen. Lovely friends in other countries don't hurt, either.
First of all, this was not meant to be an attack on you, Addie. If it came across that way, I'm truly sorry.

But as for the "priority" part, I personally had to come up with nearly $40,000 to attend grad school for one year. And yes, school was a higher priorty than attending a party for two days.

The whole point of my post was that maybe we should see that parties don't take eight months planning. Maybe we should see that they don't have to take first priority and become major financial investments. And the best way to do that, that I can see, is to make sure there is a party within reasonable distance of most [if not all] MT'ers.

EDIT: But whatever. Go ahead and hold the party wherever you want.

[ 10-19-2007, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Amárië ]

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

quote:
But whatever. Go ahead and hold the party wherever you want.

[] There is really no need to get unpleasant like that, Amá. We're just talking []

Anyway, I personnally don't expect from anyone to have a transatlantic flight just for a party, of course. That wasn't the case for Addie, I believe she spent like a week in London, having other plans too. I know myself that if I'm in the States next summer, it won't be only for the Party.

quote:
The whole point of my post was that maybe we should see that parties don't take eight months planning. Maybe we should see that they don't have to take first priority
That's really your opinion. If Athene took 13 months to plan hers, she needed that long, I guess. If some people can afford to come to both - if there are two - and if they think it's a first priority, that's their choice too ! I won't complain []

Anyway, maybe we should have a poll.

Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Screw you all, you lot and your icky, snow-bound northern hemisphere.
From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

quote:
There is really no need to get unpleasant like that, Amá. We're just talking
Sorry, I feel rather unpleasant. []

quote:
That's really your opinion.
Yes it is, that's why I posted it.

quote:
If Athene took 13 months to plan hers, she needed that long, I guess. If some people can afford to come to both - if there are two - and if they think it's a first priority, that's their choice too ! I won't complain
Not everyone can make a party first priority. That's my whole point. For those who can, bully for them.

Ignore me. I feel like a bear today.

[]

Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A cuddly bear? *huggles*
Excuse me, I'm still coming down from my two-concerts-in-two-days-throw-in-some-car-troubles-for-kicks adrenaline high [] .

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are always going to be people who can't make it, due to financial or personal reasons. That's something that is going to happen no matter where it is or what notice is given. And whether people want to make a party their priority is up to the individual.
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

More like this kind of bear:

-

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » The New-Expected Party (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help