Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Brew Pubs (Page 1)
Author Topic: Brew Pubs
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
posted      Profile for Alcuin   Author's Homepage   Email Alcuin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a good list of brew pubs – houses that make their own brew, fresh, and ON THE PREMISIS. Oh, yes, and it must be POTABLE – it has to be worth drinking.

I’ll start with these. In Boston and Salem, Massachusetts, there is the Boston Beer Works, with three sites: next to Fenway Park where the Red Sox play, near Boston Gardens where the Celtics and the Bruins play, and in Salem. The beer is fresh, they have traditional cask brews, and the atmosphere is friendly, if somewhat loud (except in Salem, which is somewhat cozier.) You can leave with a gallon in a little brown jug.

In Portsmouth, New Hampshire, there is The Portsmouth Brewery. They are associated with Smuttynose Brewing Company, if you are familiar with Smuttynose Ale. All the stuff is fresh-brewed, not bottled. You can leave with the bottled stuff.

Nashville, Tennessee, has Boscos Brew Pub in Hillsboro Village (near Vanderbilt), which is an offshoot of the Memphis, Tennessee, Boscos. There is also the Blackstone on West End, on the other side of Vanderbilt. (Yes, yes, I know – it’s Bible belt, and Vanderbilt is a “conservative” school. Believe me, it’s always been this way.) Both Boscos and Blackstone are good.

I’m in London from time to time. What’s available there now? Weren’t a lot of the local breweries bought up about 15 years ago? And what’s left in New York City now? I need some guidance here…

[ 09-19-2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Alcuin ]

From: New England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you're ever in the Pacific Northwest, stop by the Red Hook brewery in Woodinville Washington, for the ESP is quite good though not as good as it used to be.

Or there is the Deschutes Brewery in Bend Oregon. Their Obsidian Stout is excellent, but if you prefer lighter faire, then Morror Pond is it.

One of the best brown ales is Big Sky Brewery's Moose Drool!

Take a look at the Brewing News and see what there.

Also, if you are in the Seattle area, you should pay a visit to the Taphouse Grill for their brew list is most impressive!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is easier just to go to RateBeer.com and look at their list.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
posted      Profile for Alcuin   Author's Homepage   Email Alcuin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is easier just to go to RateBeer.com and look at their list.
Thank you for that link. It is very comprehensive, and I was unaware of it; however, I am particularly interested in brewpubs: places that brew their own ales (or lagers, or stouts, etc.); the brewpub link does not work on the site; and mostly, I am interested in the opinions of the local denizens of Minas Tirith.

I am looking for a proper 1420, and I’d prefer that the proprietor brewed his own.

From: New England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why there is an issue with the brewpubs, I was just in reviewing some of my ratings on them. I'm usually in one at least once or twice a month. You can find my ratings at ratebeer.com listed under Aggie80. Try going under Places and selecting the cities or areas you are going to be visiting. I always reference this site when I travel and try to hit up what is in the area.

I like New Belgium's 1544, which I think is similar to what you are looking for, but my favorites are a Black Ale from Lily's Seafood, their stout is also very good, and the Black Tulip from New Holland Brewery. New Holland bottles and distributes around Michigan. I also visit the Michigan Brewery on a regular basis.

[ 09-30-2005, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Marcho Blackwood - MSS ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rate Beer is a good site! I need to register and do some rating.

I have to say I haven't see so many brews on tap as I have at The Taphouse where they boast 160 brews! I sampled several with Elora last summer!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[] Hot diggity dog! []
Snoqualmie Falls Brewery is building a taproom!
I think I'll drive by tonight and pick up some Avalanche!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

This may not be a brew pub, but its a damm fine place...

I'm talking the Hilltop Alehouse!. It used to be called the Hilltop Pub, or simply Hilltop. Its atop Queen Anne Hill in Seattle right near the Seattle Center.

-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

They keep remodelling Elora & I's Bear Creek Pub.... losing its character it is.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... and when the hell will they take down that DAMN FOSTERS SIGN! []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The lighted one or the cardboard Australia-shaped one? []
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Both.... I wonder who I can pay to pull them down for me.... []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah... and when the hell will they take down that DAMN FOSTERS SIGN!
Leave it where it is, it's just fine, thank you! []

quote:
Both.... I wonder who I can pay to pull them down for me....
Please step away from the Fosters signs, or I cannot be held responsible for what I do. []
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

They closed the Bear Creek Pub! []

It was the fault of Foster's I think.

So now our home is the
 -

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

YAY Whistlestop! []

I likes it a whole lot, actually! I likes it heaps.

But I was so very sad that the Bear Creek Pub closed down. I was pouting for a good 30 minutes.

quote:
Please step away from the Fosters signs, or I cannot be held responsible for what I do
[]

*plants her hands on her hips, lifts her chin and raises one brow and smiles at Snow Wizard oh so sweetly*

Why, I do believe that is a challenge Snow Wizard... []

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite brew pub is in Eugene, Oregon:

High Street Cafe and Pub

They're part of a larger Oregon chain of brew pubs, but the atmosphere is very local and friendly nonetheless. My favorite brews are Hammerhead (a pale ale), Ruby, and Black Rabbit Porter; many of my friends love the Terminator, but I'm not a stout fan myself. There is also a seasonal or sporadic brew called Hobbit's Habit-never tried it myself.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

That looks like a good one Gna!

The first week of October, the Taphouse ios having an Oktoberfest party! I think I;ll go and collect the pint glasses! I do hope the beer is cold though.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I found a quite interesting place... it's an old-school lounge from the 60's that has changed little. I could see the Rat-Pack performing here. Its the West 5 which got its name from its telephone exchange. For anyone younger than their mid thirties, a telephone exchange was a name given for an area served by a central operator. With automation in the 60's individual exchanges were phased out, but the names stuch for awhile. This place still has their original phone number... WEstside 5-1966.

I found this place after my experience at the Elliot Bay Brew House. I always wanted to stop in to the Elliot Bay Brew House during the street fair but it was well too crowded. This day there were only a few people in there, so I decided to have some lunch and a beer while awaiting service to be done on my car at the near-by dealership. I walked in and stood by the bar looking at the taps and beer list. Finally the bartenderess decided to ask me what I wanted, but in a tone like she was actually doing me a favor. I ordered their pale ale, and she rang me up for the $4. I will give them a point for serving 16 oz. pints instead of the more common 12 Oz. short pint. I took my true pint and and went and sat at the elevated bar that was between the bar and the booth tables where I promptly opened a menu. I was ready to order something but the waiter passed by behind me. He did that a couple times, nursemaiding the booth of businessmen, and a table further back where an elderly family sat. It became obvious he would never stop by to see if I wanted to order anything. A half-pint later, I lifted the menu and flagged him with it when I noticed he was looking at me, but he acted like I was going to assault him with it even though he was in the back a half a tavern away. Never did come by except to take some dirty dishes from the recently vacated businessman's table. I then saw who I guessed was either the owner or the manager come out from the back and stand by the far end of the bar and he started talking to the bartendress and the waiter, so I flagged him, the waiter, and the bartenderess all at once with the menu, but they ignored me and stood there talking, making it a point to not look at me. Meanwhile a clique of very Bellevuish yuppies were sitting at the near end of the bar, and a few more came in and joined them. They got immediate attention from the bartendress because she was obviously in that clique. I had long-since realized they had no intention of serving this middle-aged hippy, so I started weighing my options. I could either:

A) get up with my half pint and go sit among the yups at the bar and see if I could get the bitch's attention.

B) Sit there and finish my beer, making social observations, and go elsewhere.

I picked C....

I Downed my beer, left the glass upside down draining the foam on the table, and left, Thats when I found the West 5!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a brew pub in San Francisco that I visited recently:

Pizza Orgasmica

Snöwdog might like the name, I think...and the beer was pretty good. I had a peach-flavored brew that was tasty, and my friends tried a porter and an IPA that were both nice. We didn't try the pizza, however...went to a Malaysian restaurant for dinner instead.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Gna, You, Elora, and I should do a northwest pub crawl! []

I know some of these links are already posted above, but I'm posting my 'Master List' of great brews! ...

Breweries

3 Ravens Brewing
Alaska Brewing
Anchor Brewing
Big Sky Brewery
Boundary Bay Brewing
Coopers Brewing
Deschutes Brewery
Fish Tale Organic Ales
Great Divide Brewing
Hale's Ales
Iron Horse Brewery
J. Boag & Son Brewing
Lost Coast Brewing
Mac n Jack's Brewery
Malt Shovel Brewing - James Squire
Matilda Bay Brewing - Beez Neez
Mountain Goat Brewing
Nimbus Brewing
Pike Brewing
Red Hook Brewery
Rogue Ales
Roslyn Brewing
Samuel Adams Brewing
Snowy Mountain Brewing
Speakeasy Ales & Lagars
Tooheys

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You'd feel a bit ill if you drank all of those in one go!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Trondheim has Mikrobryggeriet

Only the main page is translated, methinks. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
You'd feel a bit ill if you drank all of those in one go!
I agree! If course, one evening at the Dog n Pony alehouse, I gave it a go! after 7 short pints (12 oz, or 355ml) of various ales, I then went to Williams street where I had 2 Manny's short pints. On my way home I had a nightcap closer Mac n Jack short pint at the Beachcomber.

Speaking of pub beer glass sizes, its common for them to serve 12 oz when a 'pint' is ordered. A couple pubs I know use 1/2 liter glasses, which is about an oz more than a true 16 oz pint. A few use a 19.2 oz. or 568 ml glass for a pint.

Here in Australia, the glass sizes and terms are confusing for they seem to vary depending on what state you're in and what size they are. I found this here handy dandy guide on Beer Guide Australia ...

- 115 ml glass (3.89 oz.) In Tasmania its called a 'Small Beer' and in Western Australia its called a 'Shetland Pony'. In Washington State (U.S.) we called this (4 oz. glass) a 'Taster'

- 140 ml glass (4.7 oz.) is called a 'Pony' everywhere but Tasmania and the Northern Territories, and in Queensland its called a 'Small Beer'.

- 170 ml glass (5.75 oz.) This is a 'Small' in Victoria, and a 'Beer/Six' in Western Australia. In Washington state (U.S.) a 5 or a 6 oz. glass is commonly used in ale houses for multi-brew samplers.

- 200 ml glass (6.8 oz.) Called a 'Seven' in New South Wales and the Northern Territories, a 'Butcher' in South Australia, and a 'Glass' in Victoria and Western Australia.

- 225 ml glass (7.6 oz.) This is a 'Glass' in Queensland and an 'Eight' in Tasmania. The other states use the 200 ml. In the U.S. Washington state this (8 oz glass) is what is commonly called a 'schooner' these days.

- 285 ml glass (9.6 oz.) Called a 'Middy' in New South Wales and Western Australia, and a 'Pot' in Queensland, Victoria, and in some places in Tasmania. In South Australia its called a 'Schooner' and in the Northern Territories its called a 'Handle'. Tasmania also calls it a 'Ten'. The 10 oz. glass used to be the standard 'schooner' in Washington state and can still be found in some older taverns.

- 425 ml glass (15 oz.) Called a 'Schooner' everywhere but South Australia where its called 'A Pint'. Not used in Tasmania.

- 568 ml glass (19.2 oz.) Called a 'Pint in New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, and Western Australia. Not used in Queensland, South Australia, or the Northern Territories. Some bars in Washington state (U.S.) use this as a 'Pint', and usually Guinness is served in this sized glass.

- 1140 ml (38.5 oz.) Called a 'Jug' in all Australian states and territories, and a 'Growler' in Washington state, U.S.A.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember to enjoy your drink responsably. No binge drinking. Remember those ads, 'a night to remember or a night to forget, the choice is yours,' [] Like hell! Funny thing I seem to prefer the nights to foget which they show!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

"Know when to say when."

---

then have a couple more.

For New years eve, it will be a quiet one with a couple Cooper's Pale Ales going down.

Cheers everyone!

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Brew Pubs (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help