Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Best Names for Brews (Page 1)
Author Topic: Best Names for Brews
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of an offshoot of the Dead Guy Ale thread, also in the Golden Perch. It's a place where you can post the best names and/or labels for brews. The beer doesn't have to necessarily be any good, or you don't have to even have tried it. The name just has to be unique or funny or interesting in some other way. However, you get bonus points if you have tried it and are willing to write a short review of it.

I will kick off the proceedings with a name that is near and dear to my heart. I've never tried it, I just like the name.

-

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Arrogant Bastard. Decent stuff, particularly on tap.

One of my favorites is Gulden Draak. Love the name and the beer is terrific, even considering the 10.5 percent alcohol!

-

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite name is actually a micro-brew owned by my father's friend in Hawaii. His name is Richard(Dick) Short.

His micr-brew is called "Short Dick Beer". []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falernian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4503
posted      Profile for Falernian   Email Falernian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not a beer, but I cracked up the first time I saw "Cheap Red Wine" in the grocery store. It's a regular wine bottle with a plain brown label, as if it came from a paper bag, and all it said was "Cheap Red Wine." They also had "Cheap White Wine." What they ought to do is make a brew called "Cheap Beer," and "Cheap Light Beer," with the same brown paper bag-type label.
From: In the Deep South of the United States, currently. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there is always Frugal Joes Ordinary Beer that is distributed by Trader Joe's. It has one of those generic type labels.
From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

Singollo

quote:

His micro-brew is called "Short Dick Beer".

I don't know if they still make this brand, but once upon a time you could belly up to the bar, order a "Tall Queer One," and put in your mouth right in front of everyone else.

-

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

3 beers from my area with cool names.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

Yes, they all are cool names, but of the three, I have to find out what "Turbo Dog" tastes like.
Crate
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3930
posted      Profile for Crate   Email Crate   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Purple haze, sweet! Does it have the same affect as Purple Haze? If so I want some!

I had a really cool beer the other week called John's Gun or something similar. It was really nice, I'll try get a photo of the label and put it up.

Crate

From: Newcastle, England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falernian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4503
posted      Profile for Falernian   Email Falernian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my GOD...Where can I get/order/steal some of that?
From: In the Deep South of the United States, currently. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not an ale, but a funny label none the less.

-

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Fal. My dad picked some up a while ago at a local place so I assume they have them as imports somewhere.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a good brew name, but my brother used always to refer to a mythical bar, always just down the road from where we were driving, called The Easy Women, Free Drink Saloon. []

Snowy - no offense, but Abita is one of the few beers I just can't drink. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No offence at all, WT, but your taste buds are all screwed up. Abita beer is one of the finest beers on the planet. It started out in 1986 as a small microbrewery, but has grown tremendously since then. It didn't grow because it brews nasty beer.

Founded in 1986, the Abita Brewing Company is nestled in the piney woods 30 miles north of New Orleans. In its first year, the brewery produced 1,500 barrels of beer. We had no idea what we started. Customers loved our beer! By 1994, we outgrew the original site (now our 100 seat brew pub) and were forced to move up the road to a larger facility to keep up with demand. Today, we brew over 40,000 barrels of beer and 3,000 barrels of root beer, and we're still growing! But don't let our growth fool you. Our lagers and ales are still brewed in small batches, hand-crafted by a team of dedicated workers with only the highest ideals of quality. This pride, along with our brewing process, is what creates our great brews. Abita uses only the finest ingredients – British and American barley, German yeast, European and Washington State hops and the pure artesian water of Abita Springs. In Abita, we are blessed with the purest of water. Drawn from our deep wells, our pristine water is not altered in any way. Abita Beer has no preservatives, additives or stabilizers and is cold filtered. The result is beer that is the finest and freshest tasting as proven by our loyal customers and great chefs of the south who use Abita Beer in their recipes. We're proud of our brewery and the beers we make. Try Abita Beer today and taste a bit of the South!

[]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

IARNAR

Here is a little description of Turbo Dog :

Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts.

This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our three flagship brews.

Just a bit stronger than our other brews, so . . .beware of the dog!

-

Falernian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4503
Looks like Guinness. Does it taste at all like Guinness? I want some. Of course, they don't sell it around here. Faaaaaaack.
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked Moose Drool and Naughty Nellie's Ale:

-

Apparently Pike Brewing Co.'s building used to be a brothel.

[ 05-24-2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Adulithien ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
No fighting in this thread-- take it outside!
All your insights are appreciated here

From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had a Bishop's Finger. I was warned that you never know where they've been, but it tasted delicious all the same.

-

From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4728
posted      Profile for Arien   Author's Homepage   Email Arien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a brew pub and our winter ale is called Crevasse-yer-Ass Winter Ale, puts a real warmth in your belly. : )
From: or a gun | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theoden King
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4826
posted      Profile for Theoden King   Email Theoden King   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Moose Drool

Thats the only local brew I know of.

From: The Red States | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've got you all beat:

-

and
 -

... now, if the Christians come out with a "successor beer", would it be called King of the Brews?

<ba-dum-ching!>
[] []

thank you, thank you ladies and gentlemen. you're beautiful. please remember your waitresses and bartenders...

[ 11-13-2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ 11-21-2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You are local to Moose Drool! Coolski! []

Oh yes, there is always Pike Naughtie Nellie's

-

And there is Hair of the Dog Fred

-

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And how about some Mordor Brew? DarkLord Imperiel Stout is served to guests at the finer inns of Barad Dur, Minas Morgul, and the the house specialty at the Black Gate Inn!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We need an applaud smilie!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Official God Father Of Lentil
"LG for PM!!!" - CloudStrife
"LG = Lifes Good = Lifes Glorfindel" - Cloudstife (él es mi amigo!)
"LG, you're evil. Just plain evil" - Aermir
"I REALLY must get around to terminating your account LG!" -Wetwang
"You mad blighter" - Gloin the Dark

From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Best Names for Brews (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help