Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Worst Beer (Page 3)
Author Topic: Worst Beer
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Worst beer??? Hofbrau was a sludge of a microbrew that I swear was made using the outflow pipe from the Monroe State Reformatory []

But even that beat out an old cheapie Buckhorn beer.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZENITH
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 400

posted      Profile for ZENITH   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Calsberg special brew.......... []
From: The Mens Room. ENGLAND | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend and I called his mom one night to pick up some beer for us while she was out, and we never made that mistake again without specifying what we wanted... She camme home with this strange beverage called Sportz Beer...
 -
I've never had anything nastier in my life...

From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Or

-

It's hard to figure which is worse... []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elora are you nuts??

Fosters is great!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snow Wizard, you're yanking my chain, right? []

You've gotta be. []

Most Australians, no - make that all Australians I have ever met (and I've met lots of them), feel as I do.

Firstly, they are disgusted the world is deluded into thinking it is an Australian beer. It is not. We don't drink it. We never have and never will. We'd drink our own sweat rather than Fosters.

That is because we hate it. It is weak, watery in taste and lacking in character or substance. May as well drink water.... which led me in turn to Bud Light - which I swear is beer coloured water.

[]

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll admit it. There was a time, just one, very specific time, when an ice cold Foster's was my best and most favorite beer.

The USS John Rodgers was on patrol in the Persian Gulf. A very long patrol. We were approaching the two month mark and we did a BSF in Bahrain. BSF is short for "Brief Stop for Fuel." We pulled up along a water barge to refill the fresh water tanks. And the ship chandler had put a couple of 55 gallon drums full of ice and fosters on the barge. Each crew member not on duty was allowed to climb down to the barge and have an oil can of Foster's. It was, to say the least, very good!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Marcho is indeed correct. It's all about the context.

Case in point: one of the BEST beers I ever had was an ice cold Milwaukee's Best (aka "The Beast"). I had just finished my last semester of my freshman year in college, a year that had a lot of academic and personal challenges.

I waltz down the hall of my dorm to see my buddy and tell him my finals are done. He says, "cool", opens a mini fridge reaches for a can of Beast beer (which was verboten to have in his room), and tosses it over to me. I can hear that tab opening as I type. Man, it was GOOD.

Elora: I used to live in an apartment building with some Australian diplomats. They hated Fosters and used to get Victoria "smuggled" in via diplomatic pouch. No kidding... []

The consistently worst beers I've had were Catamount (VT) and Yuengling (PA). [] Though in all fairness, Yuengling did seem to make a marked improvement several years back.

[ 02-06-2006, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fosters... Canadian for beer... at least around here it is brewed in Canada.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Molson Canadian Is the worst beer ever! []
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that after careful review of this thread that most of you (with the exception of Snowy - who one would expect to have a working knowledge of sucky suds - and one or two others) have no idea as to what bad beer really is. Here's a starter list.....

POC - affectionately known as "Pi$$ Outta Cleveland"
Robin Hood Cream Ale
Mickey's Big Mouth
Red, White and Blue
Iron City
Bavarian
Ballantine
Old Style - aka: Old Stool

...and of course the previously mentioned Black Label and Schaeffer's.

[ 02-06-2006, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Kalkin ]

From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you've ever sampled British beers, you can add Mansfield Bitter and any Home Ales to the crap list. []

Though we do have some amazingly good 'real ales' in these parts.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kalkin:
quote:
I must say that after careful review of this thread that most of you [...] have no idea as to what bad beer really is.
I must say that after careful review of your fairly large starter list, I have come to the conclusion that most of us have better taste (and sense) than you to waste time trying more than one or two sucky beers.
[] []

[ 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

posted      Profile for Kalkin   Email Kalkin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Slim

I resemble that remark! []

I've had all or most of those beers when I was a young, poor teenager. We weren't terribly interested in taste at the time, just the buzz. Hence our fondness for Colt 45 and Schlitz Malt liquor. The most bang for the buck. Of course, in college there was a bar that had Black Label for $0.75 Night. I think I can still feel the effects of the hangovers. []

Nowadays, I usually only drink beer occasionally, like after playing football. Then, I usually prefer a nice light American lager (although, I'd drink Asahi if it were available in the Pub that sponsors us). Otherwise, my favorite is La Fin du Monde. Good stuff, but hard to find.

[ 02-06-2006, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Kalkin ]

From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elora, is there something wrong with me?

I love Foster's, and I also like Mickey's Big Mouth, all the Malt liquors, Molsens, Ballantine, Olympia, Tuborg Gold, Lone Star, Dixie, Old Milwaukee, Papst Blue Ribbon, Falstaff, Schlitz, Jax, Iron City, Rolling Rock, Miller Lite, Michelob, Bud Light, Coors Light, Red Dog, Red Wolf, and Michelob Light.

Those are all good beers, dammit, and I'm sick and tires of all you so called beer conniseurs(snobs) putting them down! They're good, and they won't cause you to go broke drinking mass quantities of them! [] []

Kalkin - You're no expert on beer. I am. I've been drinking it since I was four!

[ 02-06-2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

quote:
I love Foster's, and I also like Mickey's Big Mouth, all the Malt liquors, Molsens, Ballantine, Olympia, Tuborg Gold, Lone Star, Dixie, Old Milwaukee, Papst Blue Ribbon, Falstaff, Schlitz, Jax, Iron City, Rolling Rock, Miller Lite, Michelob, Bud Light, Coors Light, Red Dog, Red Wolf, and Michelob Light.
I TOLD you guys! The prosecution rests. Snowy has killed his tastebuds off at an early age.

*note to self: If Snowy offers you some home-cooked food, do NOT eat it.*

Although, I gotta admit that I'm a fan of Green Death (Rolling Rock) as well as a few others on the list. BTW Snowy I had a couple of schooners of PBR drafts at the Buffalo Wild Wings next to the Ohio State campus and it was suprisingly good. Haven't had Olympia in decades, used to like it. Still not down with the Arn City, Falstaff and Old Milwaukee, though.

edit: Oh, and Elora........

quote:
Elora, is there something wrong with me?

The ball is teed up and ready to go. Swing away, should be good for about 300 yards. []

[ 02-06-2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Kalkin ]

Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

Actually, I'd be happy to watch you two gent arm wrestle the matter to settle it. [] []

Snowy, you won't find many Australians with national flags, or who know who our first national leader was, or who can even tell you why Jan 26 is Australia Day. We are not overtly, discernably, given to displays of patriotism. It ain't our style.

But on one thing all Australians are clear. Fosters is despicable. I've actually done the hard yards and tasted it. I understand the national loathing for it. Fosters does not fit into the palate of other beers that are actually consumed here.

So, sorry friend, but I ain't budging on it. I can't. It is one of those rare matters of national pride. Watch carefully - you won't often see such displays of national pride. []

Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rookies! I've sampled and rated over 500 different beers, ales and lagers.

In general American mega-brews are light, tasteless and not worth the calories. I need something with flavor, not just alcohol. But when I was young and stupid they fit the bill as cheap and easy to obtain. But after killing off the weaker third of my brain cells with the cheap beers, I matured into appreciation of the more full flavored options.

And as for going broke, brew your own and you'll get a better quality beer at a good price. My initial batch cost me about $1 a bottle. But that included buying the basic brewing set. After that it runs $25 to $30 for 5 gallons of beer. If you make it in bigger batches (my cousin does it in 20 gallon runs) it goes even lower.

quote:
Actually, I'd be happy to watch you two gent arm wrestle the matter to settle it.
I'd like to see that, too! Of course while you two are wrestling, that leaves Elora in need of company! []

[ 02-07-2006, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Marcho Blackwood - MSS ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

quote:
In general American mega-brews are light, tasteless and not worth the calories. I need something with flavor, not just alcohol. But when I was young and stupid they fit the bill as cheap and easy to obtain.
Wait just one second, Karate Kid, I'm not young and stupid, and I like a lot of the American mega-brews. And not just for the alcohol, but the taste as well. []

quote:
I'd like to see that, too! Of course while you two are wrestling, that leaves Elora in need of company! []

I'd like to see that too, because while me and my man Kalkinoid are wrestling, you'll be dealing with the Big Dawg after he comes in and sees you trying to fondle his lady. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know what Monty Python said about American beer: it's like making love in a canoe. []

I like good old British Real Ales, especially this one:

-

Named for the oldest inn in England, which still exists and serves amazingly good food too. Anybody visits me gets a trip to the Trip, my treat. []

Its site is here and its best, evil, meal is Kimberley Pie - steak in a beer gravy 'lovingly encased' in the best pastry you can imagine. Add potatoes and veggies to that, and it's cardiac arrest time - but what a way to go!

Not really, I've survived eating it many times. []

No, I don't traipse to the Trip every time; we have two of their pubs within five miles. I can get the ale and the pie. Aren't I the lucky girl! []

[ 02-07-2006, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some folks will find my choice of worst brew to be nothing short of sacrilegious but I absolutely hate Guinness.. it has all the tastiness of a fine blend of used motor oil and molten roofing tar.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

*tortures Madomir to death, very very slowly*

Guinness is the drink of the gods, you heathen peasant! []

Kalkin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1029

McEwan's also works well as driveway sealer.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Shut up, will ya, or I shan't come visit you in my terribly short summer vacation!

*realises this is a total invitation for Sam to be horrid to her, in order to avoid this fate, but can't resist anyway*

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*tortures Madomir to death, very very slowly*
I knew I'd infuriate somebody, just my luck it's a dominatrix disguised as an English teacher!!
Be gentle SSA.. but not too gentle []

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Golden Perch » Worst Beer (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help